Wednesday, 6 June 2012

Meet A Writer Wednesday Presents...

... Carrie Lynn Barker





1.    Tell me about your book {Genesis} and where you got your inspiration for it?

This book, being a sequel, sort of wrote itself. I just followed the characters on their journey. They drag me along whether I want to come with them or not. The original inspiration for Revelations, part one in the series was an obsession with The X Files. I think it shows in the books too.  

2.    When did you first become interested in writing?

I’ve been writing since I learned how to properly spell, and probably even before then. It’s been my dream since I was small to become a published writer but I would still be writing even if I never had a novel in print. I think that I would probably be insane if I had to stop writing. It’s a part of my everyday life. Even when I’m not doing the physical act of writing, my brain is still in overdrive, trying to come up with story lines and new scenes. 
 
3.    Was there ever a time when you nearly gave up on becoming an author?

Never. Even if I was never published, I would still write, and if I was still writing, I would still find the time to contact publishers. I am not a person who would give up on my biggest dream.  

4.    Is there anything that annoys you connected to writing or being a writer?

I hate computers.  Can’t we just go back to writing stuff by hand? I’m not one for getting writer’s block or anything like that but sometimes I want to chuck my computer across the room just because it exists.

5.    Have you ever based a character on a friend or family member?

Yes. In my next instalment of my series, I have a character based on a friend, who actually requested being in a book. After her, I added a few more, who know who they are. A few other friends show their faces but, unless you are that person, you probably wouldn’t know who they are. 

6.    What do you enjoy doing outside of writing?

I love movies. I love the act of going to the movies, making movies, finding out what goes into movies. The whole process is fascinating, from scriptwriting to production. I live very near Hollywood so I’ve been around the film industry most of my life but I didn’t get ‘into’ movies until I met my husband, Brandon.

7.    What was your favourite book as a child?

I read Black Beauty more times than I can count and my illustrated copy from my childhood is one of my prized possessions. I pretty much read anything I could get my hands on, even if it was inappropriate.  
  
8.    What’s your next project? What do you look forward to in the future?

I’m working on two different things in two different genres. First off, I’m writing a sci-fi, sort of dystopian novel. Since dystopia seems a bit popular now, I thought I’d give it a shot. Then I’m working on trying my hand at a steam punk mystery novel. We’ll see how those work out. 


9.    If there was a fictional zombie apocalypse, which fictional character would you choose to be your wing man?

Hhm...that’s a tough one. I’d have to go with Tallahassee from Zombieland. He seemed to make zombie killing a profession and he was good at it. Plus, that’s the only role where Woody Harrelson is actually hot. 

10. What was the last book you read?

Stephen King – The Wind through the Keyhole.  Not a fan of Roland, the Gunslinger telling stories but the middle of this book, the story where the title comes from, was great. 

11. If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be?

I always wanted to be a forensic anthropologist so I’d have to trade places with Kathy Reichs, just to see what it’s like.  

12. Where would you like to go if you had a time machine?

The 1920s so I could learn how to do the Charleston.  And find out who really shot Thomas Ince. 

13. If you were having a dinner party and could invite four guests, dead or alive, real or fictional, who would you have?

I’d have to go with three real and one fictional, just to mix it up.  Edna Ferber, Lord Horatio Nelson, Jack Kerouac and Edmund Dantes, from the Count of Monte Cristo.  That should make for some interesting dinner conversation. 

14. You find a genies lamp and are granted three wishes. What would you wish for? *note you cannot wish for more wishes, it’s cheating. ;)

Enough money for myself and my family to live comfortably for the rest of our lives, the perfect man for my mother and for a horse to finally win the Triple Crown after all these years (though I don’t want to know which horse to make it still fun to bet).   
1
15. If McDonalds sold hotdogs, could you order a McWeiner and ask them to supersize it with a straight face?

Sure.  I hope they do someday just so I could go order one!

16. Star Trek or Star Wars?

Trek. I over-watched Star Ward when I was a kid

________________________________________________________


S    Sometimes death leads you to life... Chris Fletcher, government experiment, healer, lover and friend, heads to San Francisco, where she again attempts to hunt down the man who created her, all the while being hunted herself. As she seeks out the person who wants to kill her, she not only meets new friends, but discovers that her story has become something of a legend. While the underground experiment community has lifted her up to hero status, Chris knows the danger in such a thing and puts her focus on finding her maker. In the end, what she seeks to destroy may end up changing her life forever.
  
      Find Carrie Lynn Barker@

      Website - www.discountrocket.com
 
      Facebook -  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001229230781
 
      Revelations: http://www.amazon.com/Revelations-Carrie-Lynn-Barker/dp/1615723781/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337125249&sr=8-1
 
      Genesis: http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Carrie-Lynn-Barker/dp/1615726454/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1337125249&sr=8-3

2 comments:

  1. Alright so this girl loves to write! I know the feeling. I wrote all the time when I was younger but lost all the diaries and journals. I could kick myself but 3 husbands and 4 marriages make for hectic times. Lol I know the determination that you have will pay off and someday we will see your story at a movie or your screenplay. Good luck sweetie.
    Sincerely,
    Linda Hays-Gibbs
    My Angel, My Light As Darkness Falls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie Lynn Barker7 June 2012 at 17:26

    Thanks, Linda! Hectic is definitely the word for it. Good luck to you to in your writing!

    ReplyDelete