Wednesday, 13 June 2012

Meet A Writer Wednesday Presents...

...Ross S Simon




1. Tell me about your book The Snow and where you got your inspiration for it?

"The Snow" is a horror story about an ordinary, lonely man, Donald Holly, living in northern Minnesota in the dead of winter (brr!), who finds himself possessed by the Norse god of evil, Loki, when hideous murders and strange acts of destruction start occurring through Loki's magic in Holly's hometown of Eau Froid.

2. When did you first become interested in writing?

My first fascination with writing opened up during my early teens, about twenty years ago.  I had a lot of crazy ideas for stories then.

3. Was there a time when you nearly gave up on becoming an author?

As I recall, my will to write as a career did wane to within about a millimeter of extinguishment in the late 1990s, when I became afraid people would only hate my stories the same way they hated a lot of new movies then: not within reason, just for sick fun.

4. Who is your favourite character/s you’ve created?

My favorite character is one as yet unwritten, but very much planned: a teen girl secret agent and bounty hunter named Pitch Gideon.  (Yes, that's her name.)

5. What do you enjoy doing outside of writing?

There are hobbies I partake in when I'm not writing, including collecting pop memorabilia, pinball gaming at arcades, and, of course, reading wildly fascinating books.

6. As an author, who and what do you recommend reading?

Within my genre, I'd recommend the essential greats: Clive Barker, and His Majesty.  (That's Stephen King for those who don't get the name drop.) Outside of it, perhaps some classic epic poetry, from any ancient culture you can thinka.

7. What’s your next project? What do you look forward to in the future?

My next horror story publication (hopefully, at least) will be "Red Dahlia," the story of a British naval officer in the post-WWI Raj who takes a Hindu wife, and they have a daughter who turns out to be the embodiment of Kali, the "Blood-Mother."  I think this is the start of a powerful legacy of horror ideas I can bring to publication, in years to come.

8. If there was a fictional zombie apocalypse, which fictional character would you choose to be your wing man?

For the whole living-dead brouhaha on a global scale, to take point I'd actually choose Hoss Delgado, a buffoonish but swashbuckling "spectral exterminator" from the Cartoon Network series "The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy."

9. What was the last book you read?

I've read a lot of books recently, but as silly as it sounds, I just finished reading Richard George's children's-theater format of Roald Dahl's "James and the Giant Peach."

10. What’s your favourite thing to do on a Sunday?

On Sundays I most enjoy motoring over to San Jose, relatively near my hometown of Santa Cruz in California, and playing miniature golf with a close friend.

11. What was the last movie you went to see?

My most recent movie experience (just a tad late in the eyes of most geeks) was "The Avengers!"

12. If McDonalds sold hotdogs, could you order a McWeiner and ask them to supersize it with a straight face?

I most certainly could not say that, I'm afraid, which perhaps is the whole reason McDonalds never served hot dogs in the first place.

13. Star Trek or Star Wars?

Star Wars, hands down.  It's more recent by far, if mainly with just a trio of much-maligned prequels.

____________________________________________________


It’s a bloody cold winter.

Throughout history,he has secretly visited this world again and again. The Prankster,the mischief-maker,of Norse mythology…Loki.

Now,one Donald Holly—an ordinary,lonely man living in northern Minnesota—comes to be possessed bodily by the Asgardian deity of evil,robbed of his will…and of his very humanity,as horrific death and bizarre destruction blossom from the Trickster’s power,in the town of Eau Froid in the dead of freezing winter. Even Federal experts cannot separate Holly from this parapsychological parasite which manifests in him,as Loki is just too powerful. Yet,Holly himself might just find the will to overcome the evil magic of the demon who would be a god,even if it means the destruction of all that he is.


A little more about Ross S Simon...

Ross S. Simon was born Sam Ridings in La Crosse,WI,in 1979. He spent the bulk of his childhood in the town of Winona,Minnesota (and enduring the apparently horrid winters therein) until moving at age nine to Santa Cruz,California,where he still resides. He graduated from Soquel High School in 1997,and from Aptos,CA’s Cabrillo College in 2005,the latter with an Associated Arts degree in Basic Liberal Arts. His hobbies include pinball gaming,collecting pop memorabilia,and reading very entertaining novels of many genres,including horror. The Snow is Mr. Simon’s debut novel.

4 comments:

  1. Great author pic-very mysterious! Great interview! Dina RAE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fantastic interview Ross. I think his book is very scary and very good. If you want the stuffing scared out of you. It's a great read. Ross is very interesting. I love learning about authors on blogs. Ross is so talented his career is going to be great. I can't wait to read the next book he writes. Super author and review. Good luck
    Linda Hays-Gibbs
    My Angel,My Light As Darkness Falls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, love the author pick, Ross! I have The Snow on order and can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ross,
    nice interview. And yes, Stephen King is my god, too, and has been since the 1970's. Not just for his horror, but for all his amazing fiction. He's a true storyteller. Ross, you're the same exact age I was when my first novel, Evil Stalks the Night, was published in 1984. Your friend Kathryn Meyer Griffith rdgriff@htc.net

    ReplyDelete