Wednesday, 22 August 2012

Meet A Writer Wednesday Presents...

... Bruce Cooke









1. Tell me about your book Pearl of the rising Sun and where you got your inspiration for it?

I have an interest in Australian history and Broome is filled with exciting tales. It was bombed during WW2 and is famous for the start of the pearl industry in Australia

2. Where do you gain your inspiration/ideas from in general?

TV, books, newspapers, conversations magazines. I see or hear something and I start to play what if.

3. When did you first become interested in writing? 

While I was still working we went on long service leave to Asia and Europe. The college ran a monthly news sheet for the staff and anyone who went away was expected to submit something about their trip. I wrote a humorous article about the toilets of Asia and Europe.  It went over well.

4. Was there ever a time when you nearly gave up on becoming an author?

Yes. After my first book I paid for a critique but the person who read it said it was the worst story he had ever read. That was in the first half of one page. The next two pages were telling me how great he was and how bad I was. I might add that the book was published with great success.

5. How do your family feel about you being a writer/author?

They are happy to see me involved in something. After my wife passed away I began to write to avoid the depression. I now have nineteen books published.

6. What advice would you give to someone still trying to become an author? 

Listen to constructive criticism and ignore the rest.

7. Who is your favourite character/s you’ve created?

Rebecca McBride,a convict woman sent to Australia in 1832. Its in my book The Pursuit of Mary McBride with Swimming kangaroo..

8. Pick one of your characters and tell me what they would do in the real world?

Tom Macadam from Pearl of the Rising Sun. He would be involved in exploring opportunities on the Gold Coast.

9. Is there anything you particularly like to write about? Is there anything you don’t?

I like Australian colonial stories. Murder mysteries and adventure. Not into Vampires or space stories.

10. Have you ever had a dream that to you would make a great book or short story?


I have nineteen and enjoyed writing them all.

11. What do you enjoy doing outside of writing?

Playing golf or should I say trying to play golf. I broke my neck six years ago but it left me with a stiff neck which restricts me a little.

12. As an author, who and what do you recommend reading?

Adventure romance. I like Clyde Cussler, David Balducci, Wilbur Smith and Lee Childs

13. If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be? 

Superman

14. Where would you like to go if you had a time machine? 


Back to Colonial Australia around the 1850s

15. If you could speak to one kind of animal what would it be? 

My golden Labrador. He loves affection.

16. If you were having a dinner party and could invite four guests, dead or alive, real or fictional, who would you have?

Bill Gates, Maggie Thatcher, Julie Gillard (Aussie Prime Minister) and Bill Clinton

17. If I came to your home and looked inside your refrigerator what would I find? 

A mess.

18. What was the last movie you went to see?

The girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

19. Star Trek or Star Wars? 

Star wars.

20. If you were offered a free ticket to anywhere in the world, where would you go? 

Great Barrier Reef.

21. If you were stranded on a desert island, what five things would you have with you? 

A comfortable bed, an oven ample food and a computer that works from the sun. Maybe a refrigerator that does the same. Can I add a beautiful girl?

______________________________________________________

 
When an Australian and a Japanese girl fall in love they find the different cultures insurmountable. Determined to have each other they find further trouble when the war breaks out. Now both have to face death and isolation if they want to continue their true love. It is a story of desperation and love in facing impossible difficulties from both sides.


About Bruce


 Bruce retired from teaching in 1990 because of poor hearing and began writing. He now have over fifteen books completed but hardly ever bothered to send them out to publishers up until the past two years.
 
He likes to write adventure romance and historical romance with an Australian flavour. He now has seven book contracts and three short story contracts with various publishers.
 
His current published novels with Eternal Press include Jungle Heat, Friendly Enemies, Meeting at Princes Bridge, Vietnam Holiday, Top Secret, Appleton's Run, McBride's Treasure, Angela's Child, Trace Elements and Pearl of the Rising Sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment