Wednesday, 5 September 2012

Meet A Writer Wednesday Presents...

... Sally Franklin Christie








1.    Tell me about your book Milk Carton People and where you got your inspiration for it?  

Many people, adult and children go ‘missing’ everyday.  Some are missing of their own free will and that is perfectly legal.  Others are abducted, killed, get into freakish accidents, suffer mental conditions and many are found but never identified.  I wondered what happens to them.  Then my mind went ‘free range’ and I made up a character, Ruth, and put her in a situation where she became ‘missing’ in her own life.  She is unable to interact with the world she was engaged in.

2.    Where do you gain your inspiration/ideas from in general?

I like to play what if. I like to watch people in parking lots going to and fro. I make up back stories for them. I also listen to snippits of conversations. If it screams to be written, well, I listen to that, too.


3.    When did you first become interested in writing?  

I have written for a long time. I think I was hooked when in a high school English class the assignment was to describe someone. I described my ‘step’ mom in a way that I would find most unkind, today.

4.     What was the first thing you wrote?

It was in grade school. We were given fat pencils and a piece of paper with lines at the bottom and space for a picture at the top. What I Did on My Summer Vacation.  A very uninspired three sentence ordeal. 

5.    Was there ever a time when you nearly gave up on becoming an author?

Am I an author? Author seems to be very formal. I write. But then I think of writing as part of our freedom to do anything but shout FIRE in a full concert hall.

6.    How do your family feel about you being a writer/author?

My mom frames my covers. No doubt she tells all of her friends and acquaintances. My father-in-law has read all Two of my books. My kids, well, did I have to mention them in the acknowledgements?  My darling husband is still working his day job and asking “Where’s the Money?”

7.    What advice would you give to someone still trying to become an author?

Writing is an art and a craft. Learn the craft and practice. Not everything needs to be read. After you learn the craft, learn the business. Use both sides of your brain.

8.    Is there anything you particularly like to write about? Is there anything you don’t?

I like to write about crime, criminal thinking and reactions to bad behaviours.  I cannot write a sex scene to save my life. Please don’t make me!

9.    Have you ever had a dream that to you would make a great book or short story?

All the time, but by the time I write them down they are gone. It must be how a person with brain damage feels.

10. What do you enjoy doing outside of writing?

I paint landscapes, crochet, limited gardening and hanging out online. No one online cares if my hair is all wabbed up on top of my head or if I’m sitting on my feet. 

11. As an author, who and what do you recommend reading?

American and English Lit. Wilkie Collins. The Weekend Novelist, first edition. 

12. What would you read to your children now or if you had children?

Georgie and the Robbers, over and over and over again to both kids. 11 years apart. 

13. What’s your next project? What do you look forward to in the future?

The working title is ThrowAways, again with the missing people theme.  The MCs are photographers. One is suffering a sort of PTSD after witnessing a horrid accident. He cannot leave his home, but he probably will when given no other choice. ThrowAways are troublesome teens and adults allowed to go ‘missing’ and are very much at risk to become victims of opportunity.

14. If one day you are world famous what would you entitle your auto-biography? And would you tell the whole truth?

The doctor told my parents to take me home but to try not to get too attached.  So, it would probably be Try Not to Get too Attached. The whole Truth?  I don’t know. I suppose memories are all coming through a fictional filter. I don’t think we can help it. How about a Round-about Truth?

15. If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be?

An anonymous, wealthy, white man who lives in New York. Just to see what it is like to have all of the obvious boundaries torn away. 

16. If I came to your home and looked inside your refrigerator what would I find?

I really don’t know. I see food as something I have to do. I was a vegetarian for a long time, then I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Cutting all grains out of a vegetarian diet is a difficult thing to do. So, I worked fish, then chicken and a rare burger back into the mix. I know there is milk in there and the light works. 

17. Your about to walk the green mile, what do you have for your last meal?

I don’t eat when I’m upset and I am afraid this would count as very upsetting.  I do like cherry cheesecake. I guess I would say, bring on the gluten!

18. What was the last movie you went to see? Movies?  

For three of us to go to a movie and have popcorn and sodies runs about $40.  No one here remembers what the movie was.

19. If McDonalds sold hotdogs, could you order a McWeiner and ask them to supersize it with a straight face?

Could you make that a McWeiner without the bun?  I brought my own.

20. If you could have one piece of technology from a sci-fi film or book what would it be?

The replicator or the transporter both from Star Trek!

21. Star Trek or Star Wars?

Star Trek hands down. 

22. If you could secretly observe one person for a day who would it be?

It would have to be a criminal.  And yes, I’d watch to see if he sits down when he pees. 

_________________________________________________________


 MILK CARTON PEOPLE

The Journey

Caught Between the Quick and the Dead

E-book ISBN

978-1-61572-608-0

Print ISBN

978-1-61572-609-7

Milk Carton People is a paranormal thriller about people who suddenly find themselves invisible,able to observe things but unable to participate.  Do they go mad?  Maybe they find others.  It is quite possible that there is no point in being invisible.

This is a book that plays on the very thin line of sanity and pure despair.  The characters act and react to the new challenges and the reader gets to go along for the ride.

Excerpt

I’m going to wake up,now,and go about my day with my cup of coffee. By the time I get to work,the whole thing will disappear like all dreams. I won’t even remember it.

She turned away from the little tree and took a few steps down the sidewalk. She intended to turn back toward the book store again,to somehow retake control of her destiny. As if turning back would give everyone one more chance to tell her it was all in fun and she was such a good sport.

Just then,a woman in an electric blue colored coat,walked right into her.

“Excuse,me,” Ruth began and stopped speechless. For one long,drawn out,slow motion,nightmare second,her vision was obscured by a brownish red filter which blurred everything before her. She felt hot,sticky,and confined. A cloying odor of spoiled hamburger made her gasp for clean air. She tasted copper pennies in her mouth. At the same time Ruth heard a gurgling noise and a squeak and as the whole event suddenly ended she heard a plop like pudding falling from a spoon back into the bowl.

A sudden cold sweat competed with stomach acid lurching into her throat. Ruth swallowed it back and turned to watch as the woman in electric blue continued walking down the sidewalk without breaking stride. Ruth watched the woman in the electric blue coat disappear around the corner.

“No,” Ruth said aloud with authority. “No,” she repeated louder,hoping make it all go away. “This did not happen.”

She walked to the nearest building and stood close to the cold bricks in the shadows.

I have to go home.






About Sally

Sally Franklin Christie has spent her life achieving incredibly average goals. Her challenges and choices have led to into the world of organizing for social change,civil rights and helping people navigate in a world filled with physical barriers and discrimination. She photographs and paints landscapes,when she isn’t at the computer researching,networking and writing. Special interests include Missing Children and Adults,Astronomy,Character Traits and Criminal Thinking.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Sally and Sonnet: Great interview! Sally, you are all over the place! Hope you're having fun and selling TONS! Dina Rae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Star Trek. A Trekie after my own heart. I love Star Trek conventions and the authors you meet there. Lol anyway great interview. I love the questions asked here. The were unique and interesting. Of course, Sonnet Odell does a great interview and gets into the meat of the author and book. I enjoyed it. Good luck with your book. I get spooked thinking about being between two worlds.
    Sincerely,
    Linda Hays-Gibbs
    My Angel, My Light As Darkness Falls
    Angel in My Heart Devil in My Soul

    ReplyDelete