Wednesday, 12 September 2012

Meet A Writer Wednesday Presents...




... April Grey




1.    Tell me about your book, Chasing the Trickster, and where you got your inspiration for it? 

Chasing the Trickster came together from many places. I've long been interested in Jungian theory and Jung wrote some very interesting things about the Trickster Archetype. I've also been interested in liminality and the idea of transformation. I love metaphysics and magic realism along with urban fantasy and horror. I've tried to blend all my interests into this novel. It's a romance examining the power of loyalty and unrequited love. Furthermore, what it's like to be on the threshold of change.

2.    Where do you gain your inspiration/ideas from in general?

My interactions with life. Things which frustrate me, or make me angry, or even something which fascinates me. Trickster was written during a stressful period of my life. My husband nearly died of a heart attack and I had to remove my son from public school to home school him. I had to be strong, and I sometimes envied my younger self who didn't have these challenges.



3. What advice would you give to someone still trying to become an author?

· Keep reading! Read everything and anything. When you read you are priming the pump.

· Write without fear. Writing is something you do for yourself. I kept journals in spiral bound notebooks for years. They were my friends. You don't have to be published to be a writer. All you have to do is write.

· Learn to edit, first by editing other people's work. Find a group to write with and then you'll learn and grow. Good editing skills is the path to be published

· If you no longer enjoy the process of writing, quit or take a break. Don't call it a writer's block.

· But if you are passionate about writing (not just the idea of being a writer) then never get discouraged. And don't be in a rush to self-publish.

4.    If you could hang out with one of your characters, what would you do together?

I'd love to be a student in Pascal Guzman's anthropology class.


5.    What do you enjoy doing outside of writing?

I teach ESL, I quilt, do fiber arts, read and take care of my family.

6.    If one day you are world famous what would you entitle your auto-biography? And would you tell the whole truth?

I've long planned a memoire called Getting Back to Normal.  The past 16 years have been filled with family health challenges and I'm beginning to see a glimmer of light at the end of this tunnel. Writing has kept me sane through good times and bad. However, part of my question is "What is Normal?" Sometimes it's just good adaptation to life around us. And yes, I'd tell the truth, but I'd change names to protect the innocent--Me.


7.    If there was a fictional zombie apocalypse, which fictional character would you choose to be your wing man?

Without a doubt, Anita Blake.  And she's free to bring along all her eye-candy lovers. I promise not to touch.


8.    What was the last book you read? 

Are you there, Blog? It's Me, Writer by Kristen Lamb.


9.    If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be?

Marcus Aurelius


10. If you could speak to one kind of animal what would it be?

Cats

11. If I came to your home and looked inside your refrigerator what would I find?

Tins of cat food and dog food, watermelon, cherries, apples, kale, carrots, celery, home made kombucha tea, black current juice, cold cuts, cheese, half and half, almond milk and regular milk, cold cooked shrimp, cold leftover chicken, red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, cocktail sauce, ketchup and mustard. 

I have a husband, teenager, dog and cat and they all are always hungry.

12. You find a genies lamp and are granted three wishes. What would you wish for? *note you cannot wish for more wishes, it’s cheating. ;)

World sustainability (wise use of our planet's resources), universal mutual respect between all people, and excellent health for everyone.

13. Star Trek or Star Wars?

Star Trek

14. If you were stranded on a desert island, what five things would you have with you?

Crank run two way radio, crank run laptop (running Word and Kindle with my entire library of books), an axe, a year's supply of freeze dried food and a year's worth of water.

____________________________________________________


One Man, Two Women, Two Gods...who will survive the Trickster's snare? Ghostly images materialize in Nina Weaver's photos. Goons try to kidnap her. When her photographs are stolen and her best friend is shot, she realizes that she has no one to turn to but her ex-lover, Pascal "Goofy" Guzman. Together they go on a desperate road trip in search of answers. The truth is darker and more terrifying than Nina could ever have imagined. After their love re-ignites, they fall into the Trickster God's trap.

Excerpt:

She stared at the photo on the gallery wall and silently swore. All semester ghostly images had marred her work. And now not only a strange inclusion ruined her photo, but the pin light needed to be repositioned as well. She found a ladder in the hallway supply closet. Balancing precariously on the top step, she noticed that the imperfection had changed into the image of a vehicle, and it was on fire. She could see the superheated air wavering up off of the flames. The crackling and sudden heat of a blaze forced her to lift a hand to guard her face. It was going to explode. She was quite sure of it. And then she was falling backwards, falling down…


 BUY

About April 

 
 April Grey's urban fantasy novel, Chasing The Trickster, is published by Eternal Press. Her short stories have been published in such print anthologies as Demonmind's Halloween 2010, The Best of Everyday Fiction 2, Northern Haunts, Ephemera and Terrible Beauty, Fearful Symmetry. Many of these stories can be found in her collection, The Fairy Cake Bake Shoppe available through Amazon and Smashwords.

She and her family live in Hell's Kitchen, NYC in a building next to a bedeviled garden. Gremlins, sprites or pixies, something mischievous, lurks therein. Someday she'll find out.

11 comments:

  1. You wrote Trickster during a difficult period. Do you think that writing the book during stress produced a different kind of writing; versus, say, would you have produced a different book if not for the stress? Was wondering how you coped with stress, yet, wrote and eventually finished the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good question. Trickster wasn't my first book. Perdita was. It was lighter, less intense. Perdita, at 100,000 words, needs some editing before I try to get it published. I'm a lot closer to the characters in Trickster because of the stress they got me through. Because of this closeness I went on to write a tetrology. I'm preparing the sequel, St. Nick's Favor for publication.

      Delete
  2. Will you write the story about the giant cockroaches one day? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might. However, I have to make sure I don't get accused of stealing from Kafka.

      Delete
  3. Jonathan Broughton15 September 2012 at 09:58

    I see you live next to a 'bedeviled' garden. I often find inspiration for my writing in buildings and places, and I wondered if you had used the garden, or its inhabitants in any of your stories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've written a draft of "Hell's Garden" as a short story tie in for Trickster. However, I would like to expand this to a novel.

      Delete
  4. Your book sounds really interesting. I'm sure readers will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alice. I hope they do, and will drop me a line or leave a review. We need to get the word out.

      Delete
  5. I read your other book, The Fairy Cake Bake Shoppe - loved it! Am looking forward to Trickster. Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kinds words. For those willing to do a review I can offer a free PDF of Trickster.

      Delete
  6. I like your writing advice. Some of it's about to show up on the PA. ^_^ And I agree, we're probably too quick to use the term "writer's block." Sometimes one just needs a break from it.

    ReplyDelete