Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Meet A Writer Wednesday Presents...

... Dina Rae





1.    What was the first thing you wrote?

My thesis for my master’s degree. Once I knew I could write one hundred pages coherently, I realized three hundred was possible. The first piece of fiction I ever wrote was The Last Degree.

2.    Is there anything that annoys you connected to writing or being a writer?
The query process is very frustrating, but nothing compared to the promotional end of it. Learning something new every day.
3.    Pick one of your characters and tell me what they would do in the real world?  

James Martin, the protagonist in The Last Degree, is a recovering cokehead who builds a dream underground bunker/compound. In the real world he would be the envy of every prepper in America and guest star on National Geographic’s Doomsday Preppers.
4.    Is there anything you particularly like to write about? Is there anything you don’t? 
I love using facts/lore/myths/literary references/theories/etc. in my work.  Dan Brown, the master at mixing fact and fiction, is one of my favorites.  I don’t like writing love scenes. Something very embarrassing about it, like you are exposing yourself.
5.    What’s your next project? What do you look forward to in the future? 
I am currently working on a sequel to my other novel, Halo of the Damned.  I have a third novel, Bad Juju, which I just started querying out.
6.    If there was a fictional zombie apocalypse, which fictional character would you choose to be your wing man?  
Easy, breezy. James Martin. He and Bella Thompson are extremely wealthy and both build dream bunkers for off-the-grid living. They have an arsenal that most small countries would envy, medical supplies, food, water, generators, photovoltaics, and security up the wazoo!  Bella gets a helicopter later in the story.
7.    What was the last book you read?
Almost finished with Joel Rosenberg’s The Twelfth Imam.
8.    Where would you like to go if you had a time machine? 
I would love to go to Jerusalem and see Jesus while he preached.
9.    If you could speak to one kind of animal what would it be? 
My dog/wolf. She’s such a sweetie! We kind of talk to each other now.
10. What two fictional characters would you put into a boxing ring and who would win? 
Carrie and Danerys would make an interesting match!
11. If you could have one piece of technology from a sci-fi film or book what would it be? 
Harry Potter’s wand. It seems to come in handy every time he’s in a jam.
12. If you could secretly observe one person for a day who would it be?
I would love to observe the President and see the kinds of decisions he makes from dusk to dawn.

_______________________________________


The Last Degree is a fictionalized account of how Freemasons and other secret societies set up the world for takeover. Ancient writings foretell a ‘Shining One’ who emerges as the world’s prophet. A murder of a Most Worshipful mason resembles a secret oath. A cop gets too close to solving the crime. Paranoid preppers go underground, preparing for war.
Headlines such as the Norway massacre, meltdown of the European Union, unscrupulous media, animal die-offs, Middle Eastern unrest, and U.S. shrinking power make the plot relevant to present day. This book is an ode to Christians, Birthers, 2012ers, Truthers, preppers, and/or other conspiracy junkies who enjoy Dan Brown, Jesse Ventura, Brad Meltzer, Alex Jones, Jerry Jenkins and Tim LaHaye.



To find out more about Dina visit her at - www.dinarae.com and
www.dinaraeswritestuff.blogspot.com


2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me as your guest. Dina Rae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, Dina. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete