Wednesday, 10 October 2012

Meet A Writer Wednesday Presents...

... Tarah Scott










1. Tell me about your book Lord Keeper and where you got your inspiration for it?

Lord Keeper is a Scottish historical set in the early sixteenth century. My inspiration came from Julie Garwood’s The Bride. The hero, Alex Kincaid, had a right hand man who had a thing for the heroine’s sister. He and Alex visited them at the monastery where the heroine had fled, and he was hoping the sister would step off holy ground so that he could kidnap her. I always wondered what would have happened had she obliged. So, many years later, Lord Keeper was born.

2.  What was the first thing you wrote?

The first thing I wrote is the book to be released this September from Silver Publishing, My Highland Love. Like Lord Keeper, My Highland Love is a Scottish historical, but set in the nineteenth century.

3. Was there ever a time when you nearly gave up on becoming an author?

Oh yes! I have considered on more than one occasion giving up. Writing is a tough business. One must really want to write in order to survive.

4. What advice would you give to someone still trying to become an author?

Read a lot. Write even more. Find other writers you can trust to read your work. Then write a lot more.

5. Who is your favourite character/s you’ve created?

This is a very tough question. My answer is pretty cliché; my favourite character is always the one I’m currently writing.

6. What do you enjoy doing outside of writing?

I read a lot! I love to bake—something my daughter appreciates.

7. As an author, who and what do you recommend reading?

I recommend making a point to read outside the genre you write in. This helps to keep from falling into cliché plots and styles. As for specific books, definitely read some of the classics; Poe, Austen, Twain, Dickens and the like. Read some best selling authors and try to understand why they’re best sellers.

8. What was your favourite book as a child?

Hands down, Jane Eyre. I’d read that book a dozen times by the time I was twelve.

9. What’s your next project? What do you look forward to in the future?

I’m currently working on another Scottish historical set in the late nineteenth century. My heroine is a con artist. Her final caper takes an unexpected turn when her uncle, a famous jewel thief, can’t resist one last heist and steals jewels that belong to the viscountess hosting the house party their attending. This wouldn’t be so bad if not for the fact that one of the heroine’s ‘investors’ is with Scotland Yard’s CID.

10. If one day you are world famous what would you entitle your auto-biography? And would you tell the whole truth?

ROFL. I would entitle my auto-biography Truth Really is Stranger than Fiction. And if I told the truth, I would then have to kill the readers.


11. If there was a fictional zombie apocalypse, which fictional character would you choose to be your wing man?

Hellboy.

12. If you could speak to one kind of animal what would it be?

Chimpanzees. I know, that’s almost redundant, but I think they are the coolest animals.

13. If I came to your home and looked inside your refrigerator what would I find?

A little of everything. I have a teenage daughter who eats like a horse. I do keep lots of baby carrots and Greek yogurt on hand. I love them both.

14. If you were stranded on a desert island, what five things would you have with you?

Chocolate.
Brandy
A hen to lay eggs. (I love eggs.)
A comfort sleep bed
Sean Connery (I think Sean counts as a thing, as he’s a darn fine thing.) 

_____________________________________________________






No man bargains for war when he chooses a bride, but when he steals her from holy ground, he can expect nothing less.

Iain MacPherson swore he was nothing like his father, but his kidnapping of Victoria Hockley, the Countess of Lansbury is the first step toward the same obsessive jealousy that fueled his father’s life-long feud against the chief Iain’s mother loved.

A kiss, a midnight race for freedom, and a royal missive force Victoria into her captor’s arms. Hallowed ground can’t save her from the devil that followed her from England. Yet the Scottish lord who swears to protect her is far more dangerous. 



No comments:

Post a Comment