Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Meet A Writer Wednesday Presents...

...Dan Curry








1.      Tell me about your book Kung-Fu Lesbian and where you got your inspiration for it? 

I wanted to play around with genres and what writers do with character. I don’t think a lot of Tom Clancy or John Grisham “man of action” type books spend much time explaining why the lead character is white, heterosexual, male and Christian. I wanted to extend the same courtesy to a character who is none of those things, save for her being a (wo)man of action. Just light the fuse in the first sentence and see what happens.

2.      What was the first thing you wrote? 

I wrote a detailed treatment for the next three Star Wars movies when I was seven and sent them to George Lucas. They were never made, which is a good thing. As an adult, I really don’t care for Star Wars and wouldn’t want to be associated with it–but I bet the money would have been sweet.

3.      How do your family feel about you being a writer/author? 

My wife is cool with it. She’s a writer too with a memoir coming out next year. I have a kid on the way, I’m sure the kid is cool with it, but it might not really care what I do, as long as I’m cool. My parents probably don’t feel too great about it. I haven’t asked them, but I see the kind of books they read and there’s no Kung-fu Lesbian-type joints on their shelf.

4.      Have you ever based a character on a friend or family member? 

Not anymore, not for Kung-Fu Lesbian, anyway. Sometimes I like to think back to Junior High School and use people’s last names. People in my Junior High had the dopest last names, for real.

5.      Who is your favourite character/s you’ve created? 

I have a character named Rolo duPont in this book. He’s cool. He was supposed to die in the one chapter he’s in, but then I kept him alive because he’s totally awesome. If I ever write anything again in the KFL universe, you bet your ass that Rolo duPont is going to be all up in that.

6.      Is there anything you particularly like to write about? Is there anything you don’t? 

I don’t really like writing about myself, though there always a lot about me in my writing, I just put it on other people. I have this theory that I have to turn 40 before I have the perspective to write about myself. Maybe 45, fuck it.

7.      Have you ever had a dream that to you would make a great book or short story? 

I had a dream I was playing guitar with Guns n’ Roses, not the classic lineup, but the mess of 70 guys that are the now Guns n’ Roses. I don’t know how to play guitar, nor do I know anything they’ve put out since 1991, but nobody in the band seemed to notice my ineptitude after the concert. At the end of the dream, I was waiting for Axl Rose to pay me, but he was being coy about the whole thing. “Where’s the money, Axl?” would be the name of that short story. 

8.      What do you enjoy doing outside of writing? 

I’m running a marathon in October in Long Beach. Before that, I used to enjoy smoking cigarettes.

9.      As an author, who and what do you recommend reading? 

I’m into George Pelecanos and Richard Price right now.

10.  What was your favourite book as a child? 

I always thought Superfudge was dope. Judy Blume really sang to me. Then as a teenager, I really got into Breakfast of Champions. I once smoked a cigarette with Kurt Vonnegut after a book signing.

11.  If one day you are world famous what would you entitle your auto-biography? And would you tell the whole truth? 

I would call my book “A Man for Some Seasons” I would tell the truth, but probably not the whole truth. That’s a bit much!

12.  If there was a fictional zombie apocalypse, which fictional character would you choose to be your wing man? 

Foxy Brown. (Pam Grier)

13.  What was the last book you read

 Marathon, by Hal Higdon and Agorafabulous by Sara Benincasa

14.  If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be? 

A base jumper, but a quality base jumper who doesn’t die base jumping. I’d like to see how that felt, but I can’t handle heights.

15.  If aliens landed in front of you and, in exchange for anything you desire, offered you any position on their planet, what would you want? 

Good abs, lower cholesterol, the ability to travel to distant universes.

16.  If you could be a superhero what kind of super powers would you have? 

Teleporting. Didn’t even have to think about one.

17.  Where would you like to go if you had a time machine? 

Not World War II. That’s the main thing. The future.

18.  If you could speak to one kind of animal what would it be? 

Dogs

19.  Your about to walk the green mile, what do you have for your last meal

 Sushi. But if we were inland, something fried with panko

20.  If McDonalds sold hotdogs, could you order a McWeiner and ask them to supersize it with a straight face? 

No way. They probably hear that joke all the time, and they’d resent me for it.

21.  Star Trek or Star Wars? 

Oh shit, Star Trek. I like the reboot. I’m a fan of the classic Kirk/Spock shit.

22.  If you could secretly observe one person for a day who would it be? 

Vladimir Putin. I feel like he has a dungeon of fight slaves that he beats up to stay sharp. There is only one way to prove this theory.

23.  If you were offered a free ticket to anywhere in the world, where would you go? 

Japan seems cool, but only if I had unlimited capital. Cool, and expensive it seems.

________________________________________________




 Holly is 1,000 miles from Mexico with a million dollar briefcase and a trigger happy lover subsiding on corn chips and peyote buttons. A ruthless killer is hot on their tail, leaving nothing behind but scorched earth and dead bodies. Holly’s trained her whole life for this quest…but will her quick fists and sharp wits be enough to keep them alive?

Excerpt:
 
Holly climbed in through the window, kicked on the hazard lights, and addressed the bus. “Alright, listen up you damn dirty harlots! I’m only going to ask you this once. Who threw the goddamn bottle at my girl?”

E. Howard Cunt stepped up and jabbed a finger at Holly’s face. “Are you seriously trying to dip into our Kool-Aid, bitch? We the O.C. Nixons! You have no idea who you’re fucking wi–”

Like a machine gun, Holly connected four punches to E. Howard’s stomach before sending her flying back three seats with a killer upper cut. Checkers threw a sloppy right hook from the side that Holly ducked before rising up and driving a brutal elbow into her temple, knocking her face against the window. G. Gordon Titties charged at her full steam from the aisle, and Holly gracefully jump kicked her in the face. Titties flew back like a punted football, scattering the rest of her teammates around like bowling pins.

Coolly rocking side to side in her variation of the Renoji-dachi stance, she again addressed the bus. “I don’t know about you sluts, but I can do this Enter the Dragon bullshit all night. If you’re not feeling it, one of you can always own up to this irresponsible, uncool bullshit.”

 

 About Dan

Dan Curry is a writer and family man who occasionally moonlights as a stand-up comedian. He has been seen on the Onion News Network, heard on NPR’s This American Life, and both seen and heard on Last Comic Standing. In 2011, he won a brand new Prius on Let’s Make a Deal by choosing Door #2. Dan has written on Adult Swim's “The Eric Andre Show,” and is currently working on his second novel, Payback’s a Bastard. He was born in 1976, the year of the dragon!

1 comment:

  1. This is the funniest book alive. I have laughed so much and I'm just starting it. Great interview, it had me in stitches too. I wish you good luck. This book ought to be selling like hot cakes.
    Sincerely,
    Linda Hays-Gibbs
    My Angel, My Light As Darkness Falls
    Angel in My Heart, Devil in My Soul

    ReplyDelete