Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Meet A Writer Wednesday Presents...

...T C Archer










1. Tell me about your book Chain Reaction and where you got your inspiration for it?

Shawn: Chain Reaction is the first in our Phenom League series. These stories are alternate history/paranormal romance set during WWII. We knew the time period we wanted and the fact that we wanted paranormal super-characters. Evan drafted the first chapters. When I read them, I fell in love with the story. 

Evan: I’d been thinking about how lucky the allies were to have won critical battles, how they developed game changing technology, and forced the axis powers to make mistakes. This triggered a ‘what if’ scenario in my thinking: What if a few phenomenal people placed themselves in the right place and the right time to nudge the execution of the war in the favor of one side (or the other).

2. Where do you gain your inspiration/ideas from in general?

Shawn: Life!

Evan: Something will happen that will cause a story to blossom in my mind. Often it's an image or someone will say something. After that, I get inspired by places I've been that become settings, people I know who become parts of a characters, or events I've witnessed that become elements of a plot.

3. When did you first become interested in writing?

Shawn: I didn’t get the bug to write fiction until I was in my 30s. Then it was all over for me.

Evan: I wrote my first short story in junior high. but I didn't get serious until after college and I got my own computer.

4. What was the first thing you wrote?

Evan and Shawn: The first thing we wrote together was a short story entitled The Pickle My Little Friend. This story is set just post WWII and is written in film noir, hard boiled detective style. A hint of paranormal crept into this story.

5. Was there ever a time when you nearly gave up on becoming an author?

Evan: I have something wrong that makes me unable to spell. I would use all short words that I thought I could spell and I dreaded reading my own writing because it sounded juvenile. I didn't write for fun until computers came along that would help with my spelling thing.

6. Have you ever based a character on a friend or family member?

Evan: Of course. Who hasn't? (I hope my family and friends don't read this.)

7. If you could hang out with one of your characters, what would you do together?

Evan: We'd go scuba diving. I think scuba diving is a good activity for guys. You don't (can't) talk, you spend time together, and your lives depend on each other.

8. Is there anything you particularly like to write about? Is there anything you don’t?

Shawn: I like to write historical, and suspense. Together, Evan and I combine our respective genres. It’s loads of fun. 

Evan: I like to write science fiction and suspense.

9. Have you ever had a dream that to you would make a great book or short story?

Evan: Yes, several times, then I forget what it was. I now have a pad and pencil on my bed stand.

10. As an author, who and what do you recommend reading?

Evan: Philip Roth and Steven King.

11. What was your favourite book as a child?

Shawn: That’s a toughie. I read a lot. I loved Nancy Drew. In my teens, I read all of Edgar Rice Burroughs books, starting with Tarzan.

Evan: It has to the seven book series, Chronicles of Narnia. I started with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and could not stop.

12. What’s your next project? What do you look forward to in the future?

Evan and Shawn: We’re working on the next book in The Phenom League Desert Fox. This book takes place in Egypt during the battle of El Alamein. Our hero is a five thousand year old mummy who’s been guarding his pharaoh. Desert Fox is a poignant love story.

13. If there was a fictional zombie apocalypse, which fictional character would you choose to be your wing man?

Evan: Chuck Norris. :)

14. What was the last book you read?

Evan: I'd Tell You I Love You, But then I'd Have to Kill You, by Alley Carter. (heh heh)

15. If aliens landed in front of you and, in exchange for anything you desire, offered you any position on their planet, what would you want?

Evan: I would want the secret to zero-point energy and hope I could make it work with our technology. Had Edison asked to learn the secret of miniature electronics, he would not be able to make a single circuit. The technology would be out of his reach, but he would at least be able to invent the transistor instead of the electron tube. I speculate the same would happen in my case, but i could make something good come out of it and put us on the road to free, limitless energy.

16. If you were having a dinner party and could invite four guests, dead or alive, real or fictional, who would you have?

Shawn: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen King, Charles Dickens Emily Bronte, and James Patterson—oops, that’s five. I can’t leave anyone out!

17. If I came to your home and looked inside your refrigerator what would I find?

Evan: Bottles of various buffalo wing sauces. I make my own, but I can resist trying someone else's and I end up with bottle that have only been opened once.

18. What was the last movie you went to see?

Evan: War Horse. The damn thing just about made me cry.

19. If McDonalds sold hotdogs, could you order a McWeiner and ask them to supersize it with a straight face?

Shawn: Piece of cake. Heh heh. 

Evan: Not if the girl taking the order was real cute.

20. Star Trek or Star Wars?

Shawn :  OMG! Overload. How can I choose?

Evan: Star Trek for sure.

21. If you were offered a free ticket to anywhere in the world, where would you go?

Shawn:  China. I would love to see the far east.

Evan: India. I think Indian women are so attractive.


__________________________________________________




For love of country and a woman, Jordan Pierce must sacrifice his humanity. CP1 was where scientists observed the first nuclear chain reaction, where the Nazis sent their most dangerous spy... and where Jordan learns how a vampire protects his country.

Former Chicago Detective Jordan Pierce put his life on hold in order to protect America's secret weapon against the Nazis; The Manhattan Project. But he can't protect himself against the disease eating away at his humanity. Jordan discovers how much of his soul this infection has devoured when he falls in love with the woman who could destroy America. Choosing her means choosing the monster he's becoming, making him the most powerful man he's ever known.

BUY

About T C Archer

T. C. Archer is comprised of award winning authors Evan Trevane and Shawn M. Casey. They live in the Northeast where long, cold winter nights require a roaring fire and a companion of the hot blooded persuasion.
Evan puts his Ph.D. to good use by writing about alternate realities, and Shawn channels the mythology and philosophy she studied during her wasted youth into writing about exotic places and times.
Space travel, time travel, past or present, love (and lust,) transcend place and time. And Evan and Shawn will go where no man—or woman—has dared go before. 

T C Archer's website
http://www.tcarcher.com/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment