Wednesday, 5 December 2012

Meet A Writer Wednesday Presents...

...Carrie Lynn Barker



1. Tell me about your book Exodus and where you got your inspiration for it?


Exodus is part three in the series that began with Revelations and continued with Genesis. Yes, I mixed up the sequence of the books of the Bible but Exodus is the only one that really touches on anything Biblical. Exodus was a natural sequel but a friend insisted on being a part of it so I had to incorporate her. Once I had an idea of who her character was, the story came easily.

2. What was the first thing you wrote?


It’s hard to say what the first thing I ever wrote was. I started when I was really small writing short stories. Usually had a dog in them or something along those lines. There are probably some hiding in my mom’s garage somewhere.

3. Is there anything that annoys you connected to writing or being a writer?

Over analyzing really annoys me but I also find it really funny. It’s like that saying, ‘Sometimes the curtains were just blue.’ There’s not always a deeper meaning in what is being written but it’s fun to see what people come up with. Always curious to see what people think when they read one of my books.

4. Have you ever based a character on a friend or family member? 


Until my friend asked to be a character, I had not really based anyone on anybody in particular. Certain background characters, who don’t play any role, are based on people I know, and they know who they are. But, until Charlotte Barnfield wanted to be someone, I hadn’t written a character specifically for somebody. The Charlotte in reality and the Charlotte in fiction are, of course, two different people, but I took some of my Charlotte’s features and built them into the Charlotte of fiction. She also gave me some insight into what she wanted her character to be capable of. A few more of my friends make appearances in the next instalment, Connection, which is due out in February of 2013.

5. Is there anything you particularly like to write about? Is there anything you don’t? 


 As my books show, I do enjoy writing about the paranormal. However, I like to make sure my characters are realistic and can fit into reality. I like them to be relatable so I try to keep the paranormal aspect simply. No magic or anything like that, for the most part. I don’t believe that all things are easily explainable, so the paranormal fits my interests.

6. What’s your next project? What do you look forward to in the future? 

The next project is really finishing up Connection and trying to decide if I want to continue with the characters or not. I feel like there are other adventures for them and loose ends that could be addressed. But, the sister publisher of Eternal Press, Damnation Books has picked up one of my other novels, entitled Markheim, and that one is in definite need of its conclusionary story. That takes precedence over any further adventures of my main character in Exodus, Christiana Fletcher.

7. If one day you are world famous what would you entitle your auto-biography? And would you tell the whole truth? 

Hell no! I’d fabricate the whole thing.

8. If you could be a superhero what kind of super powers would you have? 

Well, I’m a Carrie so I think I’d have to stick with the tradition and be telekinetic. No killing everyone at the prom but a fun party trick! Could probably make some good money using it as a bar trick.

9. If I came to your home and looked inside your refrigerator what would I find?

Right now? Leftovers from Halloween. Yuck! But lots of beer.

10. What’s your favourite thing to do on a Sunday? 


 Pretend that it’s Saturday and I have one more day of the weekend left.

11. If you could secretly observe one person for a day who would it be? 


Probably Kathy Reichs. She’s one of my favourite authors and, if I could have picked any profession, I would have been a forensic anthropologist – before it got popular, of course. However, I do kind of secretly observe people as my day job so I guess that’s why I can’t think of anybody else.

12. If you were offered a free ticket to anywhere in the world, where would you go? 


I’d be headed straight to Ireland.

________________________________________



Only blood can save you now.

The search for Arturo Holt is never ending and the game he and his favorite experiment, Chris Fletcher play has become more deadly.  Chris finds herself in the presence of yet another bitter assassin - one sent to kill her.  Except this time, it isn't just another day on the job for the hired killer.  It's personal.  

Excerpt:


What we did in San Francisco, in setting fire to the base on Diablo Peak, starting a string of rumors.  Rumors about me. That I was the one who would stop the experimenting once and for all. That I was the savior.  People begging me to come forth, to reveal myself again.  To push the envelope.  To save their souls.
Their savior.
That would be me.
Apparently.  
Sigh.



About Carrie
 
Carrie Lynn Barker is an avid writer who has been writing all her life. She is the author of four novels, the second of which was nominated in the paranormal category at EPICon 2012.  She lives just outside of Los Angeles with her husband, filmmaker Brandon Barker and their two dogs. She’s a collector of books and tattoos, both of which she has many.

9 comments:

  1. Great interview! Congrats on the award nomination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Carrie and Sonnet-Another spectacular interview! I'm currently reading Revelation and can tell you firsthand what an exceptional series this is! Great imagination and page-turning style! Congrats on the next installment! Dina Rae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying the first book in the series, Dina. :) Thanks for giving it a read!

      Delete
  3. Great interview. This book sounds so exciting. I can't wait to read it. Good luck.
    Sincerely
    Linda Haye-Gibbs
    Angel in My Heart. Devil in My Soul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! Hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to read it. I still need to get my hands on your new one, too!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for having me, Sonnet! Always a pleasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You like tattoos? Me too! How many do you have? And you drink beer and have red hair...getting too weird here!

    Seriously, the books sound great. I'm always looking to expand my paranormal reading pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona! I have 11 tattoos, red hair and drink but I'm more of a liquor person myself. ;)

      Delete