Wednesday, 19 December 2012

Meet A Writer Wednesday Presents...

... Maeve Aplin



1. Tell me about your book, Conquistadors In Outer Space, and where you got your inspiration for it?

A historical re-enactment inspired me. I participated in a re-enactment of Hernando De Sota’s 1541 North American expedition in Arkansas at the Parkins Archeology State Park, the exact place De Sota came over 400 years before. I wanted to write something about that period so I created a Spanish Governor like De Sota just as cruel to the natives or in this case aliens, and moved it all to the early 1600’s when Spain could use a new place to explore with their discoveries of gold dwindling down and England making their way in North and South America. When I saw the flying ship in the last Three Musketeers movie, I wanted one of those, so with alternative history I had Leonardo da Vinci create it, then I had Galileo, while interrogated in the Vatican per the inquisition, confess to a planet he’d seen that should be inhabitable, which answered the question of a new place Spain could explore where England couldn’t come. Then I made Da Vinci’s giant cannon invention even larger. I decided the giant cannons were originally invented to blast the entire island of England into the sea since the Vatican had been involved in secret assassination attempts on the kings of England since Henry VIII’s break from the Catholic church.They were just going to end it once and for all but with Galileo‘s discovery they found they could use the cannons to shoot missiles full of conquistadors and settlers to this new planet. A nod to one of my favourite books, Jules Vernes’s From The Earth To The Moon. Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving inspired me as well, I used the elixir that put Rip to sleep for twenty years as a discovery made on the De Sota expedition, which they brought back. That is how my characters travel twenty years and do not die or age, they just sleep the whole time.

2. When did you first become interested in writing?

I loved writing form age six on but I didn’t have the confidence and as a single mother I didn’t know how to make the time. The Celtic Warrior Queen Boudica started my professional writing carrier. I love history and in reading a book about the dark ages, I came across Boudica. She impressed me so, I started jotting notes, on how I envisioned it to have happened. Before I knew it, I wrote a novel. I thought, gosh, I can really do that. So after accidentally writing that book, I wrote one on purpose, The Fox Prince, which turned out to be my first published book.

3. Have you ever had a dream that to you would make a great book or short story?


In a day dream, I saw a headless statue and when the missing head was set on it the stone figure came to life. I thought now there’s the beginning of a story and my Steampunk/Romance As Timeless As Stone was born.

4. What’s your next project? What do you look forward to in the future?

Under the other name I write under, Cornelia Amiri, my next project is the third book in the Dancing Vampire series, Ever So Bonnie A Vampire will be out soon. Here’s the blurb for it: Calin has had fantasies about the vampiric fey, Ever’s, warm, curvaceous body ever since they danced a year ago. When they meet again he waste no time in claiming and capturing her. Once the sun rises, Ever can’t leave the earthly realm and is bound by fey lore to the human, Calin. Though he has saved her from the sun, things get pretty hot in his arms. Thrust into the mortal realm, his love making excites her like no fey man’s ever has but she’s consumed with the vow she made to her sisters to not leave them for a mortal man. She fights her feelings for Calin and seeks help from goddess Morrigan.

The goddess has feelings of her own for the tall, muscular mortal so she frees Ever to return underhill. It isn’t until Ever’s back with her sisters that she realizes her heart is still held captive by Calin. When Calin spurns Morrigan’s attentions, the goddess’s lust turns to vengeance. With Ever out of his reach, underhill, and a goddess shape shifting into different beasts to hunt and kill him, Calin McDuff must risk his life and fight all odds to be with the woman he loves.

5. Where would you like to go if you had a time machine?

Back to the Celtic Iron Age in Wales to meet Boudicca, and to dance around a Samhain bon fire with the Iceni warriors.

6. What was the last movie you went to see?

James Bond, Skyfall. I’ve loved James Bond movies since I was kid. And I love the new James Bond, Daniel Craig. It happens I was at a Wilva’s Christmas Party last night (Women in Literate and Visual Arts) and the film Cowboys and Aliens came up so Daniel Craig was mentioned, he plays Jake Lonergan in it, and I said, and I stand behind this fully, I will see any film with Daniel Criag in it. Anything. It just doesn’t matter. Daniel Craig…talk about inspiration for a hot romance hero.

7. If there was a fictional zombie apocalypse, which fictional character would you choose to be your wing man?

Well, speaking of Cowyboys and Aliens and Jake Lonergan, I’ll go with him with Daniel Craig playing the part. That should work out very well. Bring on the zombies.

8. You find a genies lamp and are granted three wishes. What would you wish for? *note you cannot wish for more wishes, it’s cheating. ;)

1. To travel to Wales, Scotland, Ireland, and the Isle of Man. 2. Enough money to go no-holds-barred on marketing my books. 3. To provide a nice house and car for my grown son.

9. Star Trek or Star Wars?

Star Trek. At Space City Con in Houston, I attended a Q & A of Nichelle Nicholas, who played Lieutenant Uhura in Star Trek. She spoke of her recent meeting in the oval office with President Obama and how it came about and she spoke of that famous picture of her and president Obama giving the Vulcan Live, Long, and Prosper salute. She also spoke of recruiting women and minorities for the space program back when NASA didn’t think she could find them one qualified person from those ranks and she got them so many qualified recruits they couldn’t take just one.I believe she said they took 5 women, 3 African American men, and one Asian American man. The president of the con presented her with a proclamation from the City of Houston making August 9th Nichelle Nicholas Day. It was wonderful.

10. If you could have one piece of technology from a sci-fi film or book what would it be?


The star treck transporter. Beam me up, beam me down, beam me all around the world, make that, beam me all around the universe and back. Beam me to Daniel Craig.

11. If you could speak to one kind of animal what would it be?


A cat. I would love to talk to my cat, Severus. He is my muse, he lounges beside or, when I’m not looking on top, of my laptop. ______________________________________________

Thrown off the Spanish estate she worked at all her life, Ana, a milkmaid, seeks a new life. Disguised as a rich widow, she boards a rocket, to be blasted out of a huge cannon, and targeted for the newly discovered planet, X.  Sparks fly when she finds Ramon, the only man she ever loved, heir of the estate she worked on, is flying to Planet X as well. As the Spanish governor of Plant X searches for gold, the treasure Ramon seeks is Ana. His conquest is challenging, though he swears to protect and love her, as a noble he cannot marry a peasant. Ana cannot deny her desire for Ramon, but she will not be his mistress. Will his conquest of her heart succeed or will Ana make a life for herself alone amid the wonders and dangers of Planet X.

Coming from Eternal Press 1st February 2013

BUY

About Maeve

Maeve Alpin writes Steampunk/Romances under that name and Celtic/Paranormal/Romances under the name of Cornelia Amiri. She is the author of 16 books in all, in a wide range of heat levels from young adult to erotica romance. Please visit her websites at  http://MaeveAlpin.com and http://CelticRomanceQueen.com

No comments:

Post a Comment