Monday, 4 February 2013

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

...Leanna Harrow

  


1. Tell me about your book Killing the Desire and where you got your inspiration for it?

It just came to me. I’ve always had an obsession with how the mind of a serial killer works and love a good crime novel; I just decided to throw some steamy sex into it!

2. Who has had the most influence in your life? What lessons did this person teach you?

My father. He taught me to be kind and respect everyone regardless of their religion, beliefs, color or orientation.

3. If you could interview anyone from your life, living or dead, but not a celebrity, who would it be and why?

I’d like to interview my father. He was a POW in Korea and never talked about it, I think now, I could get him to talk.

4. Do you have a writing process? If so describe it.

I pick a song that fits the book and it plays over and over in my head while I’m writing...sometimes it’s two songs as with this book.

5. If someone came up to you and wanted to tell you about an idea or a book they were writing, what would you do? Or what advice would you give?

I would ask if they needed help. If asked for advice I’d tell them to write what they know and if they ever suffered from writers block not to fight it.

6. How would you describe yourself in three words? 

Bright, funny and selfless

7. Are the names of characters in your novels important?

Oh very, each character is modelled after someone I know in real life, their personality, their character, the way they act...only the names are changed to protect the guilty...lol

8. Have you ever killed someone in a novel and regretted it later?

I did kill someone and nah...it’s all good!

9. Who would play you in a film about your life?

Oh that’s tough...but I’d love for Mariska Hargatay to play me...she’s not only hot..She’s tough...I’m tough..not so hot...lol

10. What are the most important attributes to staying sane as a writer?

I had someone tell me once that all authors turn out to be lonely alcoholics...I did some research and was surprised that a lot of them do...so I would say a healthy attitude about drinking would help lol Not getting lost in a story or character and knowing yourself well enough to know when it’s time to walk away and not become obsessed. Writing is not for an obsessive personality.

11. Are you jealous of other writers?

Never, I am proud of them...and now proud of myself

12. What would you do with 1 million ping pong balls?

Put them in a room and swim in them with my grand kids squealing like a little girl!

13. What’s your favourite book and why?

The Shining...because it scared the crap out of me! I lived in the area it was written about and wouldn’t go near Mt. Hood as a young woman because of it!

14. What’s the nicest thing you’ve ever done or ever been done for you?

My four children wrote down 365 memories from their childhoods and put them on little scraps of paper and then put the scraps in a Christmas jar and presented it to my one year for Christmas. I got to open one a day for a year....It guaranteed both laughter and tears every day. It was the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. I have awesome kids...

15. Is Elvis really dead?

No, he lives in our basement...but don’t tell anyone...he’d be really mad!

16. What is your favourite quote?

“I believe the heart was meant to be broken.. or it would not have been designed to attack you…” and yes you may quote me...it’s mine!

17. Do you recall how your interest in writing occurred?

I’ve wanted to write since grade school. I dropped out of high school and had my first child at eighteen. I tried to go back to school when my fourth child was born but I had to work full time to support them so something had to go and it wasn’t the job or the kids so it was school. So I spent the next twenty six years working. When my youngest child turned eighteen and decided to move to Florida, I decided I was going to give writing a shot. Didn’t do too badly for an uneducated girl from California! I have three books coming out this year!

18. If you could go back in time and give yourself one piece of advice, what would it be?


I wouldn’t...If I hadn’t walked every step of my path, I wouldn’t be exactly where I am today...and you may quote me on that as well ;)

19. Someday I want to...?

Travel the world and take pictures, jump out of a perfectly good airplane, bungee jump, kiss a girl, ride the world’s scariest rollercoaster and drive on the autobahn!

20. Name one thing that drives you crazy.

Dirty dishes left in the sink overnight and judgemental people...equally

_____________________________________________________

Is the man she loves…her mother’s killer?

Rose never believed in love—her mother’s words in her head saw to that. Becks Harlow wanted Rose to protect her heart from the pain of love. When her mother is brutally murdered, Rose turns to the one man she thought could help, Detective Dave Mason. He was in charge of her mother’s case. Little did Rose know, Detective Mason would soon be in charge of her body, heart, and soul. She also suspects he killed her mother!

BUY

About Leanna
(In her own words)

I grew up on the Central Coast of California where the beaches are pristine and the sunsets are spectacular. I attended the school of hard knocks as traditional schools had too many rules and regulations for me.

I raised four children that turned out to be happy, healthy, productive members of society. Each of my children grew up to possess my independent spirit and headstrong ways but are all awesome people. For all of my love, time and devotion, most of my children have repaid me with the ultimate gift, grandchildren. They are my favorite past time and at present, I have four of them. I am sure that the future holds more of them for me.

I am a person who is not interested in material possessions. I believe that a smile is the best accessory that you can wear. I believe that random acts of kindness can change the world and do them every chance I get. I also try to learn something new every day. My life’s dream is to start a charity that grants wishes for terminally ill adults.

 My hobbies include cooking huge meals for my extended family, a good game of billiards every now and then, reading a good book as well as writing one, writing poems that pop into her head at the most inopportune times, listening to music as many hours a day as possible and people watching, especially men!

 My dreams are to jump out of a perfectly good airplane because I can, bungee jump off of a bridge as long as someone will video tape it because no one I know, will ever believe I did it, to travel the world just to take pictures and to kiss a girl just because I can. I think these are dreams but they may actually may be my bucket list.

Website: http://www.leannaharrow.com/
Facebook: https://facebook.com/leannaharrow
Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeannaHarrow

No comments:

Post a Comment