Monday, 25 February 2013

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

...Ross S Simon



1. Tell me about your book Red Dahlia and where you got your inspiration for it?


"Red Dahlia" is a hard-driven horror story about a British Royal Navy officer who retires after WWI to colonial India, takes a Hindu wife, and they bear a daughter who turns out to be the embodiment of Kali, the Blood-Mother. Largely, the fuel for the concept came from bits of popular exploitation of Kali as a horror villain, in particular the film "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."

2. Ninja’s or Pirates?

Ninjas, since they undergo rigorous training throughout their youth, to become silent, unseen murder machines. Compared to them, pirates have lots of flaws in job efficiency; they couldn't even keep both their eyes, hands or legs, sometimes.

3. You’re given one million pounds/dollars/euros, what would you spend it on?

One word: Investments. Stocks, bonds, bears, bulls, ups, downs, commodities, futures. Some I've known are very skilled at this sort of thing to make ends meet; I've got to learn the whole process for myself sometime. Getting a cool million might just be the kick in the bacon I need.

4. How would you describe yourself in three words?

The three words would be as follows: "Kicks horror ass."

5. Which do you find more embarrassing to write, violence or sex?


Sex is more embarrassing to write, most of the time. I believe this comes from growing up in a society where violent films are rated R, but sexy films are rated NC-17.

6. Who would play you in a film about your life?

To play me in a film, it'd be Philip Seymour Hoffman, if anyone. I've maybe only seen one or two of his films, but I've seen a lot of his Oscar clips, and the resemblance is uncanny.

7. Do you research your novels?

I find it only fair that I do a decent amount of research on a novel subject, to keep from filling my stories with ignorantly inaccurate blunders...and this helps inspire the story elements; I've found that a fair amount of research gained through Wikipedia did wonders for the making of "Red Dahlia."

8. What would you do with 1 million ping pong balls?


I'd have the people of North Korea set out TEN million mousetraps all around the military stronghold of Kim Jong Un; have a Stealth bomber fly over P'yongyang with the million ping pong balls in its belly, and then...wait for the FUN to begin, baby.

9. How did you come up with the title for your latest book?

My original aim was to give the story idea an aptly appropriate title; it was originally to be called "Red Dhathra," but I was blindly guessing that "Dhathra" is the Hindi word for "Daughter;" it's not. Again, we see research giving to the novel's greater glory.

10. What are your current projects?

Aside from a handful of stories I singly work on here and there, I'm aiming to complete some short horror stories for potential publication through Damnation Books.

11. When did you first consider yourself a writer?


I first considered myself a writer a little over twenty years ago, when I began composing some story ideas via handwriting on looseleaf.

12. Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcovers?

I largely prefer paperbacks. They're compact and convenient, generally, and you wouldn't believe the collection of novels in this format that I have yet to read

_____________________________________________

When he retires from the First World War to a colonial Indian life of peace, Commodore Clifford Selickton RN is unaware of the blood about to be spilled through that which he unleashes.  Selickton takes a beautiful young priestess, Virhynda, for a wife, and they bear a darling little child…a child who, horrifyingly, is prophesized to become the very incarnation of the dread Kali-Ma, East Indian goddess of blood sacrifice.  The mind-bending examples they witness of random people receiving their doom are, in fact, only preludes to the hideous, demonic goal of the Blood-Mother: conquest of the earth, to cover it in a maelstrom of hellish flame and mangled flesh that will consume all mankind.  Worst of all, Kali aims to achieve this by striking at the very heart of the civilized world…and it might take a miracle from the Hindu gods themselves to stop her once and for all.

Coming Soon to e-Stores

About Ross

ROSS S. SIMON, born Sam Ridings in La Crosse, Wisconsin in 1979, spent much of his childhood enduring the frosty, snowy winters of small-town Minnesota. Having moved to the much more clement climate of California at age nine, he received his AA degree in Basic Liberal Arts from Cabrillo College in the county of Santa Cruz, California, in which city he now lives. His hobbies are pinball gaming, collecting pop-culture memorabilia, and reading very interesting novels.

https://www.facebook.com/samuel.ridings

2 comments:

  1. Ross,
    nice interview. Now I have a face to go with the quirky personality. Warmly, fellow DB author Kathryn Meyer Griffith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross,
    Nice interview. This new book sounds deliciously scary. I am so excited about it. Let me see it and give you a review. I could get it to you soon. This will be a hit! Good job, Ross.
    Good luck
    Linda Hays-Gibbs
    Angel in My Heart, Devil in My Soul

    ReplyDelete