Monday, 18 March 2013

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

... Clemy Warner Thompson


1. How do you react to a bad interview of one of your books?

I would have said very badly whilst I was writing my first book, Purest Light, as I was only in my early teens and did not understand the negative and positive points of being a writer, but almost ten years and three books later, I have learnt to accept that everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I always look for the positive points in what the review says, remembering that the criticism itself WILL help you improve.

2. Are the names of your characters important?

Not really. Originally, I was planning on using names that translated as the different elements, such as light and air, but as I continued to write through my series, I decided to use the names that came into my head. The ones that had no place in my plans, the ones that just appeared! Its funny, but nearly all of the names I have used are two syllables long. I’ve never really understood why, but thinking about it, perhaps it was because I don’t like writing words that are too difficult to spell!

3. Would you rather write for children or adults?

Definitely adults, or rather young adults!

4. Have you ever killed someone in a novel and regretted it later?


Maybe… I can’t really decide. I killed a character in my first book, one which I hadn’t really developed much, but when she was killed, I got the sudden urge to write more about her. She appeared in book two and Book Three, Darkest Regrets and New Beginnings, as a spirit form, but she took on a much bigger role than I had intended. I didn’t even plan for her to return! Obviously, I hadn’t finished with her development in the story!

5. Which do you find more embarrassing to write, violence or sex?

Neither. I find that both can be difficult to write in their own way.

6. Who would play you in a film about your life?

I can’t think of anybody brunette and mysterious….! Jk

7. What are the most important attributes to staying sane as a writer?

Don’t overdo it. Don’t expect to finish your project in a certain time frame. Keep a sensible goal, but don’t feel defeated if you don’t meet it. If you need a break, take one!

8. Do you research your novels?

As my books are not set in modern day, I have never needed to research anything specific. My latest project is set in modern day though, so I will have to research certain aspects of the character’s journey and their surroundings.

9. What are books for?

To escape your life!

10. Are you jealous of other writers?

Jealous is not the right word… I wish I was as well known as a few authors are, but I realise that I am only a beginner compared to them. To be known by my writing is my goal for the future. I have to keep realistic and work towards my goal steadily.

11. What would you do with a million ping pong balls?

What an odd thought… My instinct was to reply by saying ‘shove them in a cupboard’ but I would rather give them to someone who would make use of them, like an artist.

12. Do you believe in love at first sight?


I believe in attraction at first sight. Love develops over time.

13. What’s your favourite book and why?

I love Alyson Noel. I have all of her books. There’s not a chance that I can choose just one of them!

14. What do you like most about writing?


I like the fact that my writing has proven that I can actually start and finish something!

15. What’s the nicest thing you’ve ever done or ever done for you?


That has to be the fact that my brother, Estaban, has never given up believing in me. He is my inspiration and I couldn’t ask for anything different.

16. What is one of your favourite traditions from your childhood that you would like to pass on to your child?

Favourite traditions are a tricky one. The jewellery of the family always passes to the next female generation, and we always keep small mementos from family holidays and visits that will never be repeated, but I would always say that the most important tradition is family itself, keeping it together.

17. Is Elvis really dead?

Yes, no doubt!

18. How do you overcome writer’s block?


Well, I simply wait until my mind is rested, until I get the buzz for writing again. It’s as simple as that.

19. What is your favourite quote?

‘Light cannot shine without Shadow.’ I wrote it one day as part of a piece of dialogue. The character was saying it to give their comrade hope, so they had the courage to keep fighting even when tainted by Darkness, and the words stayed in my mind. They gave me the courage to keep writing.

20. Say you’re dead but a ghost? You can’t be seen, can make objects float and walk through walls. What would you do?

I’d travel to all of the places that I’d never been before. I’d visit Graceland and the pyramids of Giza. I suppose I would haunt a few people as well, those that tried to knock me down in my life! J

21. What three things would you save from a fire at your house? (Assume that all of your family get out safe)


What would I save if my family were safe? Hmmm, I would have to say everything associated with my books. I have original manuscripts and draft character sketches, even newspaper articles where I have been interviewed. I would have to save all of that!

22. If you could ask your favourite author one question, who would it be and what would you ask?

I would ask Alyson Noel if she knew that she was always going to be a writer.

23. How did you come up with the title for your latest book?


My latest title is New Beginnings. The story ends perfectly and the characters finally get the ending that they deserve. New Beginnings marks the end of my first series, but the beginning of the next. My books have ended, but my imagination has not.

______________________________________



When a brother and sister from a small village fall upon an angel, blessed with the ability to fly and conjure magic, they are thrown into a world beyond their understanding, and so begin to venture from their simple lives into a war between Light and Darkness. They come to realise that their lives were never mapped out as simple mortal destinies, but rather that of two warriors, with a fate to end the unseen suffering of the land.
Along the path that they decide to follow, they meet further Seraphim and others who offer their help, but not everything is gained; friends and family are lost. Their very souls and hearts, and that of their friends, are thrown into an aeon old war between Light and Darkness. Filled with feelings unknown to them, they must decide which element is to be superior and survive from their seemingly never ending task. 
Will they reach the edge of their world to restore the balance, or will they fall and be defeated by Darkness? 

Click on the covers to go to the relevant facebook pages.


About Clemy
(In her own words)

I was born in Shropshire in the West Midlands in 1991 where I am still currently living, growing up alongside one younger and three older brothers. 
Books and writing was an interest that I began to develop from the first years of secondary school, and on my thirteenth birthday, I began to plan and design the idea to write a fantasy novel. I finished secondary school with high GCSE's and then went on into further education to study English and all aspects of art and design. After six years of writing, planning and overall editing of the book, it was successfully completed, containing over 82,000 words, and self published in the first week of 2011. 
With high expectations in myself, I immediately began to write a second novel in the series, while keeping my art and design a part of the process. The achievement of completing the first novel 'Purest Light,' allowed the ideas of the second to flow much easier and it was completed by early 2012. As I was writing the third and final book, New Beginnings, at the same time, the series was finished by its publication in 2012/ 13. Writing is now a part of my everyday and I have started on my newest project, Shadows, which is also planned to be the first of three. Only time will tell. 

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/C-Warner-Thompson/104340679736336?ref=hl
Website for the complete series: http://thesacredprophecies.webs.com/

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for hosting such a brilliant interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great questions and a very interesting author. I am intrigued by New Beginning. I enjoyed this interview.

    ReplyDelete