Monday, 10 June 2013

Meet a Writer Monday Presents...

... Rebecca Minto



1. Tell me about your book A Touch To Remember and where you got your inspiration for it?

This book was very much character driven. Annalise and Elliot were both secondary characters that grabbed my attention. I simply fell in love with Annalise. She was this quiet intellectual that grabbed my heart. She kept at me until I began to write her story, and once the writing started she completely took over.

2. How would you like to be remembered?

I would like to be remembered as a person who lived her life with honour and integrity, and one who gave more than she took from life.

3. Are you mostly a clean or messy person?


People tell me I’m a bit OCD. I demand organization in my space, and have a tendency to organize everything based off the alphabet, colour or size. I drive people crazy.

4. How do you react to a bad interview of one of your books?

I try to just roll with it, try being the key word. At first, it stings, of course. Criticism is never easy, no matter the context. You just have to understand and accept that not everyone is going to like your writing style or story content. I like to write humorous tales of romance. There are some romance readers out there who can’t stand humour in books. Indeed, there are some readers out there who still enjoy reading rape in books. I’m not that kind of writer, and I will never please people who seek that in their reading material. You just need to accept it and move on.

5. Are the names of characters in your novels important?

They are important to me, for personal reasons. I do like to research the etymology behind names, and try to make sure the names I am using fit the characters I’m writing, but it is rare that a name is significant due to the story I am telling, although the story I am writing now I did choose a name for my heroine that has a musical correlation. There is a reason for that, which does tie into the story.

6. Have you ever killed someone in a novel and regretted it later?

No, not at this point in time. The characters I killed off were truly evil and deserving of justice that would not have been found any other way. There are many characters I would like to kill off but I cannot due to historical accuracy. Justice rarely reigned during Regency England.

7. Which do you find more embarrassing to write, violence or sex?

I never get embarrassed or flustered while I’m writing. As far as it goes, I enjoy writing both violence and sex into my books, if it fits. I think both add to the story and the characters involved. The only embarrassment I ever felt was after publication. After A Kiss To Remember was released, my aunt felt it was her duty to give me a resounding lecture about sex. I was so embarrassed!

8. Do you research your novels?

Oh, absolutely! I had a blast researching A Touch To Remember, Egyptian hieroglyphs, and guns of that era. I also discovered something that fascinates me: Napoleon Bonaparte carried a jewelled talisman in the shape of the Sphinx.

9. Do you believe in love at first sight? Have you ever experienced it?

I do not believe in love at first sight, but I do acknowledge lust at first sight. Lust is a force of nature, and can be the spark that guides us to eventual love or heartbreak.

10. Is Elvis really dead?

Is anyone really dead? Isn’t death just the great new adventure, fully of mystery and unknown elements? Isn’t any act of destruction, ultimately, an act of creation?

11. How do you overcome writers block?

I refuse to suffer writer’s block. Whenever I write myself in a corner, I’ll step away and take a break. If that still doesn’t work I will work on a different project. That has never failed to show me where I went wrong, and how to fix the problem.

12. How did you come up with the title for your latest book?

It was the second in this series, so I followed the basis I set with A Kiss To Remember. During the course of the story, Elliot and Annalise attend a musicale where she is touched by the music. He touched her hand, something so small, yet so vital. Of course, there was a lot of other touching going on between those two.

13. What are your current projects?

I am currently working on a Christmas anthology with a few other authors involving objects of power and true love. On the backburner I do have a Scottish romance, and a darker Regency tale brewing. I’m also trying to finish up research for a fantasy set of books involving angels, demons and the nephilim.

14. Do you recall how your interest in writing occurred?

I always loved stories, for as long as I can remember. Before I could read, my mother would tell me Bible stories or read to me from the Laura Ingles Wilder stories. Once I learned to read, I was unstoppable, always reading. Writing came naturally. Before, I might have a story spinning in my head and would act it out with dolls. Once I was capable of writing, write I did, until my hand would cramp and ache. It is part of who I am. Even if I never had been published, I would never stop writing. It is my outlet, my sanity and my second-greatest joy in life.

15. When did you first consider yourself a writer?

When I was 6 years old I started writing romantic fairy tales, trying to impress my older cousin, Sherry, who was a school teacher. I have never stopped spinning stories since then.

16. What’s your favourite love story?

This is a hard one for me because I have so many. Lately, I’ve been completely obsessed with Karen Marie Moning’s Fever series. I’ve completely fallen in love with Jericho Barrons.

17. If you could go back in time and give yourself one piece of advice, what would it be?

Beware of sociopaths wearing bad boy clothing

18. If you could have an unlimited storage of one thing, what would it be?

Books. I have a terrifying book fetish going on.

19. If you had your own talk show, who would the first three guests be?

Karen Marie Moning, Julie Garwood and Viggo Mortensen

____________________________________________



She would break all the rules for his touch.

Annalise always followed all the rules, but that is at an end. She is haunted by a terrible memory that makes it easier and easier to do the things no proper lady would ever do…particularly where Elliot Morton is concerned.

Elliot Morton is a man withholding many secrets, particularly from Lady Annalise. He never wanted another woman more than he wants his own sweet Anna, but dangerous foes threaten to rip their world apart. He will do anything to keep her safe, even from himself.

Excerpt:

"Daphne, you won't believe it! Lady Sinclair gave me bosoms."

She had the pleasure of watching her best friend's eyes go wide while her jaw dropped. Annalise pushed her chest out to emphasize her point. They might be modest, but they were there. She actually had a cleavage.

"Are they real?"

She nearly fell over, hearing her brother's voice shout up from the ceiling. Blanching, she glanced up to see James looking down from a ladder where he was retrieving a book. Hot color filled her cheeks. She thought she would die. She watched him carefully make his way down the wooden rungs. When he was down to the floor again he came forward, peering at her queerly. She wished the floor would simply open up and swallow her whole.

"Well, are they real?" he repeated pointedly.

"Of course they're real," she replied faintly.

He gave her a bracing pat on the shoulder. "Then, clearly, Lady Sinclair didn't give them to you. They were there all along."


About Rebecca

Once upon a time a little girl was born in the backwoods of Kentucky. This little girl loved to dream of fairy tale castles and vicious villains. She grew up to be a storyteller, telling yarns to friends, family, her son until one day she decided to write down her whimsical fancies. She currently lives in Utah with her son.



Twitter:  @Rebecca_Minto


4 comments:

  1. Thank you I really enjoyed the interview.
    I hope I can read your book Rebecca. and if I can where I can find it .
    you are such amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, "sociopaths wearing bad-boy clothing"! Haven't we all met some of them? They make great hook-ups, but terrible boyfriends, and even worse long-term partners! Good thing to learn early! I don't really understand why so many romances involve changing the bad-boy into something he's not. They are like cotton candy...fun on the tongue, a quick thrill, but too much makes you sick. They should be simply enjoyed for what they are, then you move on to a real man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! I love getting to know the ins and outs of an author. Bad boy clothing...there must be a good story there:) What a dream to interview Julie Garwood...she was my first romantic read and given to me by my grammie. Your picture is adorable.

    ReplyDelete