Monday, 15 July 2013

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

... Nancy Klann-Moren



1. Tell me about your book, The Clock Of Life, and where you got your inspiration.

The idea of human inequality and how it comes to be has always baffled me, so the foundation for "The Clock Of Life" was more emotional than cerebral. This narrative began as a short story, and one morning while in a workshop at The Santa Barbara Writers Conference, I read an excerpt. When I finished, the instructor, Sid Stebel, asked what I was doing for the next couple years, because, “What you wrote isn’t a short story, it’s a novel.” Realizing that the subject matter was so important, I took up the challenge.

2. Ninjas or Pirates?  

Arr.

3. Are you mostly a clean or messy person?

Mostly clean.  But if writing a character, I think messy serves as a more compelling individual.

4. Are the names of characters in your novels important?

Yes, very.  Some names are solid from the beginning, and I can see the character and role with him/her.  Some I have to switch their names up several times until I get it right.

5. Would you rather write for children or adults?

Adults.  The stories I write tend to explore struggle and loss, and themes that serve a more mature readership.

6. Do you research your novels?

Yes.  So much so, that on the acknowledgements page of The Clock Of Life, I close by saying, “And I’m especially grateful for Google.”

7. Are you jealous of other writers?

Just a tinge.  But, mostly I’m inspired by them.

8. What would you do with 1 million ping pong balls?

Now there’s a question I’ve never been asked before.  I’d give them to my husband.  He’s a brilliantly creative artist and architect, and he’d do something fantastical with them, like float them down a river and photograph their voyage, or maybe he’d build a boat and travel the ocean currents.

9. How do you overcome writers block?

More than a total writers block, I sometimes suffer with uninspired writing. It’s like the “muse” needs some play time. When it happens I know it’s time to stop writing and go to the beach, or a museum – someplace inspiring so I can connect with creativity. Then I return to the work refreshed and productive.
10. Do you believe in love at first sight?  Have you ever experienced it?

YES, and YES.  And we married.

11. What is your favorite quote?

It came from inside an actual fortune cookie I opened at the end of a meal in Chinatown.  It said,
“Beware of cookies bearing fortunes.”  Really.

12. If you could ask your favorite author one question, who would it be and what would you ask?

Ray Bradbury.  I would ask him to come back to us and grace us with more of his brilliance.

13. How did you come up with the title for your latest book?

The working title of the book was, Fate Carries Its Own Clock.  The problem was that others had a hard time remembering it.  No matter how much I liked it I always knew it would have to be revised before publication.  The Clock Of Life is simpler but still stays true to the theme I was after.

14. When did you first consider yourself a writer?

When I attended my first writers conference.  I was a novice and found myself embraced by true, honest to goodness writers, who took me in as one of their own.  It was magical.

15. What’s your favorite love story (movie or book)?

It’s my favorite because it was the first love story (movie) I ever saw. Disney’s Lady and the Tramp.  I still smile when I remember how he took her to Tony’s Restaurant and they shared a plate of spaghetti and meatballs.  Tony plays the accordion and serenades them with “Bella Nottti,” and Tramp moves the last meatball over to Lady’s side of the plate. 

16. Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcovers?

Paperbacks.  They’re not too heavy, and I like their smell.

__________________________________________

In the small town of Hadlee, Mississippi, during the 1980's, Jason Lee Rainey struggles to find his way amongst the old, steadfast Southern attitudes about race, while his friendship with a black boy, Samson Johnson, deepens.
By way of stories from others, Jason Lee learns about his larger-than-life father, who was killed in Vietnam.  He longs to become that sort of man, but doesn't believe he has it in him.
In The Clock Of Life he learns lessons from the past, and the realities of inequality. He flourishes with the bond of friendship; endures the pain of senseless death; finds the courage to stand up for what he believes is right; and comes to realize he is his father's son.
This story explores how two unsettling chapters in American history, the Civil Rights Movement and the Vietnam War, affect the fate of a family, a town, and two boyhood friends.

BUY


About Nancy

While traveling for my work in advertising and marketing, I began writing short fiction.  That led to attending writing classes, writer’s conferences and local workshops, which lead to a few awards and publication in anthologies.  The goal?to create unique stories told in a distinctive voice.
My short stories are eclectic and poignant, and were my primary genre until I took one of them and expanded it into a novel called,"The Clock of Life." My collection of short stories is titled "Like The Flies On The Patio."  I'm now working on a new novel tentatively titled "In Search of Doris."  It also began as a story in my collection.

Facebook:  Nancy Klann
Twitter:  @klanncy

No comments:

Post a Comment