Monday, 26 August 2013

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

... Susan Whitfield



1. Tell me about your books and where you got your inspiration.

I wanted to write about a young strong female investigator and set the story in my home state of North Carolina, USA. Genesis Beach became the first book in the Logan Hunter Mystery series, followed by Just North of Luck, Hell Swamp, and Sin Creek. I also wrote Slightly Cracked, a women’s fiction or a change of pace. Sin Creek took a lot out of me emotionally.

2. Ninjas or Pirates?

Pirates, for sure;-)

3. If someone came up to you and wanted to tell you about an idea or a book they were writing, what would you do? Or what advice would you give?

That happens quite often at book signings and conferences. I listen unless they’re keeping other folks from getting to talk with me. I won’t allow one person to monopolize me when others are waiting. I do, however, try to encourage them to continue to write and remind them that the Internet is a great resource on many levels.

4. How do you react to a bad interview of one of your books?

Fortunately most of my reviews are good, but I recently had a bad review for my latest book. It upset me because the reviewer said I was a mystery writer and the book didn’t have much mystery in it. Well, I’m a multi-genre author. I write mysteries, women’s fiction, and also authored a cookbook. She obviously didn’t do her homework. It’s unfortunate that reviews like that are posted online with no credibility to back them up. We know that we have to have tough skin in this business.

5. Are the names of characters in your novels important?

Oh yes. I have a great time with names. My book, Hell Swamp, is full of colourful characters with telling names. My personal favourite is a 40-something woman who’s promiscuous. Her name is Nita Quicki.

6. Which do you find more embarrassing to write, violence or sex?

Sex. I am not comfortable writing sex scenes, but I can kill people with no problem. I’m not sure what that says about me.

7. Do you research your novels?

Yes, I try to get the settings, cultures, and dialects as close as possible. I’m currently researching an ancestor who was a Knight of the Bath, hoping to write an historical novel at some point.

8. What do you like most about being a writer?

I love having my imagination run wild and following it into all kinds of places and situations. It’s quite surreal at times. I enjoy the solitude of writing to a certain extent, too. However, there’s also the networking with other writers (a friendly lot, for sure) and with readers.

9. How did you come up with the title for your latest book, Slightly Cracked?

I knew I wanted to write about lifelong friendship and when I found this quote, I put it in the front of the book. The title jumped out at me. The quote: “A friend is someone who thinks you’re a good egg even though you’re slightly cracked.” Anon The plot of the book also involves a goose controversy which relates hatching goslings to the friendship. It was a perfect pairing.

10. What are your current projects?

I’m writing the fifth Logan Hunter Mystery right now. Logan has recently lost loved ones and when she’s assigned to an investigation with an agent with whom she’s had conflict, the tension quickly mounts

11. If you could go back in time and give yourself one piece of advice, what would it be?

Don’t wait until you’re in your fifties to start writing! I got married, raised two sons, got three college degrees and had a 30-year career before I got serious about writing.

12. Name one thing that drives you crazy.

Only one? Lol Being interrupted while I’m writing. Terribly annoying.

Sonnet, I’d like to thank you for inviting me over. The questions were great.

________________________________



In Slightly Cracked, Sugar Babe Beanblossom and best pal, Daisy Marie Hazelhurst, have been buddies since they were born two weeks to the day apart. Living near each other, they share happy and sad memories, outrageous antics and giggles, and marital and health glitches. The only thing that threatens their lifelong friendship is the Old Dickeywood subdivision goose controversy.
When Daisy takes a nasty spill on her bike, Sugar Babe races to her side. After two trips to the ER, Daisy is diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome and tests reveal an even more sinister affliction. As Daisy weakens, Sugar Babe embraces the realization that friends must encourage and protect one another through difficult circumstances, and …
 “Driving Miss Daisy” takes on a whole new meaning.


About Susan

Multi-genre author Susan Whitfield lives in North Carolina where she sets all of her novels. She is the author of four published mysteries, Genesis Beach, Just North of Luck, Hell Swamp, and Sin Creek. She also authored Killer Recipes, a unique cookbook that includes recipes from mystery writers all over the country. The series and cookbook were published by L&L Dreamspell. Recently Linda Houle, co-owner of the publishing company, passed away and Lisa Smith, co-owner, decided to close the company. 
 
At this time Susan and many other authors are searching for new publishers. Please email her at ssn.whitfield@gmail.com if you need print copies. She is working to get all of the series and the cookbook rerouted in both print and digital formats. Susan hopes to finish the final Logan Hunter Mystery soon.


www.susanwhitfieldonline.com
www.susanwhitfield.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/swhitfield

6 comments:

  1. I love the synopsis of this book. It is wonderful finding new authors. I look forward to reading your books. Best of luck.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Katie. I hope you enjoy the books. Slightly Cracked is still available online and the Dreamspell Logan Hunter series can be purchased through my web site, www.susanwhitfieldonline.com. I'm hoping to get the series reprinted with another publisher soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also waited until I was older before writing some of the stories that had been roiling around in my head for years. I think having lived a full life and experienced more helps give a writer perspective. Young writers write only for those their ages. Older writers have been that age also, but have a panoply of memories to mine for ideas.

    Good luck with your writing. Self-publishing is becoming popular, but I'm with you: I like having a publisher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fiona! Yes, I'm hoping to be picked up soon.

      Delete
  4. Superior interview! I always enjoy reading about Susan because she is so committed to the career path she's chosen, seemingly been that way all her life. Susan, wanted to ask a question: As a multi-genre writer, all books cannot have sequels. We'd go nuts trying to keep up with it. You've already chosen which book series gets sequels. What do you do when people show disappointment that you will not carry other books into sequels, like Slightly Cracked, for example (unless there will be sequels). How do you sooth your reader's disappointment and get them reading your other books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to be honest, Mary, I never intended to write series. Logan Hunter just wasn't through with me, so here we are in book 5. You're right. I'd go nuts trying to keep up with several different series at the same time. I enjoyed writing the women's fiction but feel that I told the story as far as it needed to be told. What happened after the book ended is up to the reader. I hope to write more "loners", including an historical mystery about an interesting ancestor. That will surely slow me down because I'll have so much research to do. So far, that hasn't come up, but readers who've heard that this is the fifth and FINAL Logan Hunter mystery have showed disappointment in that. I try to explain that Logan's story is at a place where readers can decide for themselves what else happens in her life, and then I mention that I want to experiment with some other characters. That seems to satisfy them.

      Delete