Monday, 11 November 2013

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

...Michelle Hoefle



1. Tell me about your book series
, Carpathian Blood and where you got your inspiration for it?

I have always loved reading paranormal romance. Several years ago, I had an idea for an extraterrestrial vampire warrior. Lara Adrian’s Breed Series addresses the alien part, however, her vision is uniquely her own and totally different than the world I imagined.

In early October of 2012 I was feeling depressed at having no money to buy the new paranormal release from one of my favourite authors, when suddenly a nagging voice popped into my head. That was the first day I “heard” my muse. She pretty much told me that if I wanted a story, I could darn well write one myself. I went home and wrote the first novel in the series, also titled Carpathian Blood in a little over three weeks. I fine-tuned it several times through many rejections until I had it just right. I had three acceptance letters on it and chose the best publisher, Eternal Press. I never looked back.

2. Who has had the most influence in your life? What lessons did this person teach you?


That would be my mother. She has taught me to love unconditionally, to forgive wrongs done to me, to look to the future, but live for today, and she has taught me to love who I am. I can never thank her enough!

3. Do you have a writing process? If so describe it.

When my muse is talking, I can’t spew the words out fast enough. As long as I have a working computer with Word and an unlimited supply of diet coke, I’m good for hours of writing time.

It’s when she is almost silent, greedy with her input, that it gets harder. On those days I listen to my favourite music, play on Facebook between writing sessions, and free-write.

I joined a writers group and besides learning some very helpful techniques and making some awesome friends, I have been doing a lot of free writing. I have now been able to incorporate some of those shorts into several of my books.

4. What is usually your first thought in the morning?


OMG! It’s morning already?!!!

5. How would you describe yourself in three words?

Compassionate

Perfectionist

Funny

6. What is the most demeaning/demoralising thing ever said about you as a writer?

That I was riding the coat tails of Christine Feehan (simply because I used the Carpathian mountains as a setting and the word Carpathian in my first novella). She is one of my favourite authors, but I would never begin to try to emulate her work. My basis for vampires and the warriors who fight them is very original and very different from Ms. Feehan’s Dark Carpathians.

7. How do you react to a bad review of one of your books?


I try not to take it to heart, but this is my work...my “baby” if you will. I have nurtured the idea, pained over re-writes/edits, and laboured over the delivery of the final book. My books are part of me, they are loved by me. How can you love something, then when it is criticized, not be offended?

8. Which do you find more embarrassing to write, violence or sex?


Actually, I don’t find either embarrassing, however...I LOVE to write violent fight scenes. The action has to be choreographed just right in order for the reader to be pulled into the scene with the character. They have to be able to follow along and get caught up in the play of motion, the experience of the violence, the bliss of victory when the hero emerges the winner.

Sex scenes are fun and imaginative to write, but there are only so many positions, so many ways to orgasm. In a fight scene, there are endless possibilities open to you. Just look at the TV Show...1000 ways to die.

9. Do you research your novels?

Oh yes, Wikipedia is my friend! Besides Wikipedia, there are endless sites all over the web to go to for information on Romania, the Carpathian Mountains, vampire lore, and so on. It’s only when I start to dream in mapquest that I get a little worried!

10. Do you believe in love at first sight? Have you ever experienced it?


Okay, don’t hate me for this, but...no, I do not believe in Love at First Sight. Wait, before you flog and stone me, let me explain why.

I believe in Lust at First Sight. Can love grow from that? It depends. I believe that a true, long-lasting, eternal love exists between friends, best friends. You should know the person you choose to love as well as you know yourself. Choice? Yes, love should be a choice. A wanted, free choice that your heart and mind make together. You should choose to love the person that you want to be with. Why? Because when times get dull, or hard, or painful (and they will) it will be that free choice, that “need”, that “want” to stay with your choice of love that will keep you two together.

Real relationships that work, take just that...WORK. If you “fall into love” with someone, it’s very easy to “fall out of love”. It happens all the time, just look at today’s divorce rate. However, if you make a free choice, a wanted choice to love someone forever, then you will work on that choice for the rest of your life simply because you want your best friend to always be with you.

11. What is your favourite quote?

“I yam what I yam”...Popeye

12. What are your current projects?

I am just finishing editing book three (due to be released November 2013), I am self-editing book four with the new techniques I have learned in my writer’s group, and I am currently writing book five.

13. When did you first consider yourself a writer?


When I spent my first royalty payment. LOL It was small, very small, but mine...completely mine. Knowing that I had made that money from selling a few books that I had written was a priceless feeling. I felt like a true writer after that. (Although, the rush of releasing a new book, tracking a sale, and reading a good review will NEVER get to be an “old hat” for me...I love what I do!)

14. Someday I want to...? (Top three on my bucket list)

Jump out of a perfectly good airplane (yes, with a parachute!)

Hike and camp in the Grand Canyon

Visit Australia and ride a wild brumby

15. Name one thing that drives you crazy.

People that can’t drive, but think they can. Have you ever been tooling along and BAMM! Suddenly there is a car in front of you that speeds up, then slows down, swerves over the center line, then swerves over the side margin, then puts the blinker on, slows down to almost a stop, then speeds back up again...just to do it all over again? Oh, annnnnd you are on a busy two-lane and can’t pass the jerk? Yep, happens to me all the time.

16. If you could have an unlimited storage of one thing, what would it be?


Cheesecake...namely, turtle cheesecake. A girl can never have enough turtle cheesecake!

17. If you had your own talk show, who would the first three guests be?

My all-time favourite author, J.R. Ward (of the Black Dagger Brotherhood Series)...she is not only an awesome writer, but an entertaining and brutally honest person as well.

Angelina Jolie,...because of her love affair with her husband...and her innate inner beauty as well as outer beauty.

Last, but definitely not least: The love of my life, ‘Rocky’...no not Sly Stallone. My Rocky, my eternal mate, my man, my husband. The man who is my very best friend and the man I have chosen to give my heart to. Why? Just so I could spend more time with him.

18. Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcovers?


Any book is great! I love e-formats because they don’t take up space and you can have 1000’s of them. I love old paperbacks, because of the memories they evoke and the smell of old paper. I love hardcovers because they last longer on the self and stay more pristine from a collector’s perspective.
_______________________________



Join the Terranians in their secret battle against the vampyre and meet the mates who stand with them.

Chelsea Jackson’s life is going nowhere fast.  With a dead-end job and no love interests besides her cat, Harrietta, she is overworked, underpaid, and genuinely lonely.  All of that changes when she is abducted from the streets of Newark, NJ and taken to a nest of vampires.  In the midst of fighting for her life, she meets the dangerously sexy Amorast, a male Terranian warrior.

When Amorast rescues a human female from certain death, he thinks she is a complication that he doesn’t want or need.  He assures himself that he wants no part of an uninitiated human female, but something about her awakens his instincts and desires.

She is an everyday woman whose life has taught her not to believe in fairy tales. He is a deadly and focused warrior of the ruling class.  As friendship and loves grows between them, they plan to begin a long, happy life with each other.

However, an evil master vampire plans to see the Terranian warriors dead, beginning with Amorast.  Will Chelsea and Amorast be strong enough to defeat the danger that threatens them and their people?

Out 16th November from Eternal Press - click here

 About Michelle


Michelle Hoefle lives in Lake Panasoffkee, FL with her mother, her brother, her two aunts, four dogs, and three cats. You could say that she has a large family. She has two beautiful daughters who currently live in Michigan and are now on their own journeys in life. She is forty-five years young and her hobbies include reading and woodcarving.

No comments:

Post a Comment