Monday, 23 December 2013

Meet A Writer Monday, Christmas Special with...

...



What does Christmas time mean to you?

A great time to give holiday dinner parties for my friends. I spend so much time alone writing that it’s great when the holidays roll around so I can do some socializing. I love to cook, so Christmas is a great time to get together with my favorite people.

Do you have any Yule tide traditions?

Not specifically that I can think of.

What was the first thing that you ever wrote that made you think, this is what I want to do with my life?

I’ve written all my life, but I wrote my first “book” (just a couple of chapters) when I was eleven. I enjoyed it so much that I knew I wanted to do write professionally one day.

You are one of the ghost of Christmas. Who would be your Scrooge? 

Hmm…probably any editor who ever sent me a rejection letter early on (even though they were probably right!).

If you could go back in time and relive one family Christmas, when would you go and why?

I had wonderful Christmases growing up in suburban Chicago. I do remember getting a typewriter one Christmas (those were machines we used to write on before computers were invented!), so that Christmas stands out.

If you had your own Christmas Day Talk Show Special, who would the first three guests be? (As it’s a special they can be real or fictional.)

I was fortunate to be chosen by the Ian Fleming estate several years ago to write Carte Blanche, a James Bond novel, so I would certainly love to sit down with Mr. Fleming. Let’s also invite Arthur Conan Doyle and perhaps Dashiell Hammett.

Can you describe the moment where as a writer you thought to yourself “I have arrived?”

I still don’t think I’ve arrived. I keep up the same work schedule I had before I achieved any success, but I will say that the first year I was able to support myself entirely by writing gave me an indication that perhaps I was on the right track career-wise.

 Do you believe in love at first sight and have you ever experienced it?

I suppose I believe in “like at first sight,” which can lead to love, of course.

If you could choose one person, living or dead, real or fictional to mentor you, who would you chose?

Again, Ian Fleming. I grew up reading the Bond novels, so would have loved to have had his input throughout my career.

Was there ever a time when you thought about throwing in the towel and what convinced you not to?

No, I never thought about quitting. Even when I worked full time as a journalist and then later as an attorney, I always made time to write.

He’s making a list, checking twice…Have you been naughty or nice this year? 

My characters are the naughty ones. I think I’m basically pretty nice!


What does the New Year hold for you and your readers?

 ~mysterious silence~
____________________________________________




About Jeffery Deaver

A former journalist, folksinger and attorney, Jeffery Deaver is an international number-one bestselling author. His novels have appeared on bestseller lists around the world, including the New York Times, the Times of London, Italy’s Corriere della Sera, the Sydney Morning Herald and the Los Angeles Times. His books are sold in 150 countries and have been translated into over twenty-five languages.

www.facebook.com/JefferyDeaver

www.jefferydeaver.com

@JefferyDeaver



No comments:

Post a Comment