Monday, 10 February 2014

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

... S. Briones Lim

http://sonnetodelldustypages.blogspot.com/2014/02/meet-writer-monday-presents_8.html


1. Tell me about your book Parricide and where you got your inspiration for it? 

I’ve always been a horror fan. Anything that goes bump in the night will always pique my interest. Parricide is a vampire novel (to be released April 1st, 2014) that brings the supernatural beings back to their horrifying roots. It is a tale of revenge, murder and love. My husband actually gave me the idea for it. One night we were watching one of our favourite shows, True Blood, and off-handedly he mentioned, “Why hasn’t anyone written a story where a vampire destroys an entire bloodline?” And that my dear, is how Parricide was born.

2. Do you admire your own work? 

I am actually my own worst critic. I can hear compliments and will still tend to focus on self-proclaimed negatives. Though I do love all my stories, characters and overall novels, I always seem to look back and think about what I could change to make each one better.

3. Have you ever read or seen yourself as a character in a book or movie? 

Honestly, no. I tend to do my own casting when I read a book (unless the book was already made into a movie and in that sense I imagine those actors and actresses). However, I am planning a women’s fiction/NA novel that is based on my best friend and I. Due to that fact, I often imagine the main character as myself.

4. What is the most demeaning thing said about you as a writer and how did you bounce back from it?

I am a new indie author and that alone has left me susceptible to various critiques. I’ve had a lot of great things said about my work, however, you can’t make everyone happy. I had one particular two star review stating that my story was just “okay.” It was interesting as I had a raving five star review the same day! I learned to take everything with a grain of salt. What one reader likes may not be the same as what another fancies. I just have to write for me and know there will probably be readers with similar interests out there.

5. Do you push the elevator button more than once? Does it really make it go faster? 

I am a bit of a Type A personality and time is my main nemesis. So yes, I am guilty of constantly pushing the button. Does it go faster? http://youtu.be/WqEewb1LPqQ

6. What was your last dream about? 

It’s funny you should ask that! I am known for the most vivid dreams that have actually inspired some of my stories. Last night’s dream was quite disturbing. That is actually saying a lot as I often dream nightmarish things! Then again, I do tend to write Paranormal Romances and Horror ;) Anyway, let’s just say last night’s dream had to do with various rituals and bodies being moved.

7. Is there a message in your novels you want the readers to grasp? 

My stories tend to revolve around the importance of family. It’s funny because often I don’t even initially set out with that specific theme, however as I write, my stories take on lives of their own. In the end, family is always an underlying theme.

8. Would you rather be the good guy or the bad guy in a movie? 

I used to be in Drama when I was younger and I have to say, though the bad guy gets a lot of hate, the role is actually the funnest to play!

9. What was your favourite subject at school? 

Art was my favourite subject of all! I actually went to art school for a bit after I graduated college. Doing so helped me learn how to design and produce my own cover art :)

10. If you could try out any job for a day (real or fictional) what would you like to try? 

I would love to be a Vet or Vet Assistant for a day. I love animals and would enjoy helping them and caring for them.

11. What was your favourite cartoon growing up? 

Jem is truly, truly outrageous!

12. Do you watch horror movies on or from behind the couch? 

I love, love, LOVE horror films. I will watch it on the couch or during the midnight showings at the local theatre!

13. What advice would you give to someone just starting out? 

I would tell them something I just recently learned. Writing is a strange business. It is hard to get your name out there, but the people you meet along the way and the adventures you get to experience are well worth it :)

14. Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or is it all imagination? 

Parricide is all imagination! People are often surprised by the story as I am honestly a quiet, introverted bookworm. The fact that the main character is a blood thirsty vampire is quite the opposite of me.

15. What’s next for you?

I am currently finishing Silver, the final installment of my Life Force Trilogy, as well as finishing up my werewolf novel, title to be announced soon.

16. What sort of Starbuck’s coffee would your characters order? Simple coffee, complicated soy-non-fat-extra-espresso-half-caff-nightmare? 

Stanley Heckley actually does order coffee in Parricide. Being a vampire it was more to throw a specific human off his trail. His coffee of choice, a very blonde coffee - not to drink, but for show.

17. What would YOU like the reader to know about your book or about you in general? 

I want the reader to know about my love for horror and vampires. I tried my hardest to stay true to the basic ideologies of vampires.

18. Why did you feel you had to tell this story?

It was a storyline that grabbed onto me. I was in the middle of writing another book, but I couldn’t shake Parricide from my mind! I knew right then I needed to put it down on paper.

19. What was the point you realised that being an author was no longer a dream but a reality? 

Since childhood, I loved to read and write. However, I often would start writing a story, but never would finish it. The moment I wrote my first novel, Green, in its entirety, I knew being an author wasn’t just a dream anymore.

20. How do you deal with brilliant ideas that pop up while you’re writing something else? 

I’ve been guilty of writing two stories at one time. I’m actually doing it now!

_________________________

http://sonnetodelldustypages.blogspot.com/2014/02/meet-writer-monday-presents_8.html

Stanley Heckley’s world was torn apart the night his wife and infant daughter were murdered by his wife’s ex-lover, James Gandy. Left with no family to call his own, Stanley is consumed with rage and thirsts to exact revenge in the only way he thinks is fair – to kill Gandy’s entire bloodline. Unfortunately for Stanley, his timid personality and good conscience makes killing a difficult task to accomplish.

Tormented by his inability to avenge his family, Stanley seeks the help of a distant acquaintance known simply as the vampire, Geoff. Touched by Stanley’s plight, Geoff takes it upon himself to give Stanley a thirst for blood and the talent to kill. As a newly turned vampire, Stanley joins Geoff on a complex mission of murder and vengeance as they hunt each member of the Gandy family one by one, wiping the entire bloodline from existence.

Or so they thought.

Over a century later, Stanley learns that a dire mistake has left one Gandy alive. Once again faced with the monsters of his past, Stanley finds himself returning to his hometown of Meyers to hunt the remaining descendant, Amanda. From the get-go, Stanley’s mission is plagued with many obstacles including a new henchman for Geoff, a ghost of a young, sadistic girl, and the fact that Amanda looks remarkably like his late wife. For this member of the undead, hunting the final Gandy may just be the death of him.

BUY

About S. Briones Lim

Thanks to her Mom's unwavering devotion to read a bedtime story to her every single night throughout her childhood years, S. BRIONES LIM's love for books began before she could even speak.

Raised in Southern California, Author S. Briones Lim initially dreamt of becoming an artist and/or Book Author. A Psychology Degree (Summa cum Laude), a stint in Art School, and a career in Advertising/Media later, she is finally delving back into her first love - books. As a self-renowned bookworm, S. Briones Lim’s love for books has inspired her to pen her own novels and hopes her readers will fall in love with her stories as much as she enjoyed writing them.

Author of the Life Force Trilogy, S. Briones Lim's other obsessions include time with family, POPCORN, watching movies and her pug, Tobi. She currently lives on the East Coast with her husband and continues to write everyday.


Facebook Page: Facebook.com/sbrioneslim
 

No comments:

Post a Comment