Monday, 24 March 2014

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

... Trisha Haddad

http://sonnetodelldustypages.blogspot.com/2014/03/meet-writer-monday-presents_22.html


1. Tell me about your book Deep Green and where you got your inspiration for it?

Deep Green is a Young Adult survival/romance. Leah has some social anxiety and general awkwardness, and prefers books to interaction with “real” people. When a terrorist attack on the cruise ship she’s on with her folks leaves her adrift in a lifeboat with strangers, she’s forced to take a lead to keep them all alive. Together they face danger after danger as they fight for survival. Leah also struggles with the growing attention from the guys she's stranded with, and her mixed emotions toward them.

2. What is the most demeaning thing said about you as a writer and how did you bounce back from it?

Oh, a silly boy I was friends with in high school told me I’d never be a published author, especially with a Middle Eastern last name. I was pretty mad about it at the time, especially because I took everything much more seriously back then. To bounce back, I just had to prove him wrong. The best part came a few years later long after we’d lost touch. He ran across my first book and emailed me (through the contact form at my author site, no less!) to eat his words. That was pretty satisfying!

3. Would you break a law to save a loved one?

Absolutely! I’d hope it was a little law-breaking though, like speeding or parking in a no-park zone!

4. Is there a message in your novels you want the readers to grasp?

I’ve been really pleased that some of the reviewers who have written about Deep Green have picked up on the themes. The over-arching theme is the question of ends justifying the means, and when they no longer do. There are also side themes about finding your voice, about gender roles, and loneliness in the midst of a crowd.

5. Who is your favourite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

John Steinbeck; he writes place and depth of the human experience with such grace.

6. If you could learn one random skill, what would you learn?

I don’t want to learn guitar, I just want to magically know how to play it. I’ve tried learning and I’m pretty awful at it, but I really want to be able to play.

7. What was the point you realised that being an author was no longer a dream but a reality?

Probably when I saw my first book in Barnes & Noble. Oh, and when I see my books in libraries it is especially exciting!

8. Which book do you wish you’d written?

Year of Wonders, by Geraldine Brooks. It is a gorgeous and heart-breaking literary fiction novel inspired by the true story of Eyam, an English village that decides to close its borders when the plague from London hit, so as to absorb the hit there (an do they ever!) and not spread it to neighbours.

9. How do you deal with brilliant ideas that pop up while you’re writing something else?

I usually start a new document and try to write what might be the back cover blurb of the new idea and then save and close. That way, if it really so good, I don’t lose the idea. Usually though, the new ideas are just my brain trying to make me procrastinate on writing a particularly difficult part of the current book.

10. What’s next for you? 

On New Year’s Eve, I finished the draft of a sequel to Deep Green. It is my first sequel, and has been a lot of fun revisiting the characters (well, at least the characters who survived the first book).

_____________________________

http://sonnetodelldustypages.blogspot.com/2014/03/meet-writer-monday-presents_22.html

Leah Taylor prefers the quiet adventure and romance of books, but during a cruise with her parents, a terrorist attack leaves her adrift in a lifeboat with strangers.

University student, Blue McCree impresses her immediately with his knowledge of literature and philosophy, but equally thrilling is strong, quiet Musir, whose chivalry and wisdom capture Leah’s curiosity.

Together they face danger after danger as they fight for survival. Leah also struggles with the growing attention from the men she's stranded with, and her mixed emotions toward them.

When Leah learns the dark secrets her fellow survivors hold, the truth will blow apart any semblance of civility and test Leah’s preconceived notions of just how far dedication can go before it crosses over into fanaticism.


About Trisha

Trisha Haddad is a writer living in sunny Southern California with “her guys” (her husband and sons). She is the author of YA novel Deep Green, and two romantic suspense novels geared to adults.




1 comment: