Monday, 19 May 2014

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

...Viveka Portman



1. Tell me about your book The Secret Diary Of Lady Catherine Bexley and where you got your inspiration for it?

‘The Secret Diary of Lady Catherine Bexley’ is the diary of a newly married regency lady, trying to find satisfaction in her marriage. I was inspired to write Regency Romance, because I am fan of Jane Austen and historical novels, but lamented their lack of spice... so I decided to write my own!

2. Do you enjoy giving interviews?

I love giving interviews, and answering questions. It’s always interesting to find out what people want to know.

3. What’s the most blatant lie you’ve ever told?

I told my parents I hadn’t gotten into the army reserves when I actually had. I just didn’t want to go on the training camp because I’d met a new boyfriend... FYI I married him four years later.

4. While you were writing, did you ever feel as if you were one of the characters?

No but sometimes do I find myself making bizarre facial expressions that I think the characters might be doing... which is weird for on lookers.

5. Would you rather be the good guy or the bad guy in a movie?

Let me dig out my halo... good guy thanks.

6. If you could try out any job for a day (real or fictional) what would you like to try?

I’d like to be an actor, I think.

7. What’s next for you?

I’ve got a three book deal at the moment with Harlequin, so I’m busy working on the fifth erotic regency. It’s tentatively called ‘Journal of a Vicar’s Wife ’ - which is fairly self explanatory really! I’ve just finished the fourth erotic regency, ‘Observations of a Curious Governess,’ which my critique partner is currently reading (and no doubt pulling to shreds). I really, rather desperately, want to write about Vikings, however I don’t know when I’ll get the time.

8. Why did you feel you had to tell this story?

All my stories have something of a poignant note or moral embedded deeply within them. For ‘The Secret Diary of Lady Catherine Bexley’ it was about self discovery and the growth of a functional marriage. In my second book ‘The Wicked Confessions of Lady Cecelia Stanton’, it was very much about acceptance and understanding. I always find myself cheering when a reviewer gets it!

9. What sort of environment do you write in? (e.g. quiet room, a cupboard with headphones on, in a death match with the cat for control of the keyboard.)

I get terribly distracted when I’m writing. So very recently I’ve begun taking myself to my local library and writing there. That way I don’t have WIFI, coffee, youtube, cats, or anything else to distract me. When I’m at home, I work in my study alongside all the temptations listed above.

10. What was the point you realised that being an author was no longer a dream but a reality?

Fairly recently actually, I was first published back in 2011 under another name, but until this year I hadn’t been contracted to write. Now I have, so I’m under more pressure than I’m used to. It’s good though, because it’s actually quite motivating! I was concerned I might wilt under the expectations, but so far so good.

11. How do you handle working with an editor without letting pride get in the way?

I write erotic romance... my pride has gone out the window! Just joking – it’s just very awkward! I’m quite lucky that never had to do any major changes during the editing phase. Thankfully the changes are usually only grammatical edits that improve fluency.

12. If you could have only three electrical appliances in your home, what would you have a why?

I’d have my laptop, airconditioner and fridge – it’s very hot in Australia!

13. If you had to give up one sense which one would you give up and why?

If I had to give up one, I’d go for smell. So many things smell bad, and I hate smelly things. The only sad thing about this is that it would probably affect my taste, and I love food just as much as I hate bad smells.

14. What is the strangest thing you’ve believed since you were a child?


I used to believe that if you swallowed cherry pips, the trees would grow out of your ears. Thanks mum. I do not believe it now, however, I still don’t swallow cherry pips.
____________________________________


In the vein of Portia Da Costa and Charlotte Featherstone, Regency England gets just a bit raunchy in this novella about a gently-raised lady who wants to feel like a woman…

“I have never seen fit in my life to divulge my secrets in a diary, yet now, after today’s proceedings, I do…”

Lady Catherine Bexley is new to marriage and the marriage bed, but surely there must be more to it than this? Her husband is proper and perfunctory — treating her with careful respect but leaving her aching for more.

When she witnesses a gentleman disciplining a maid at a house party, the ache explodes into ravenous desire. She finds herself no longer willing to wait for her husband’s stiff and passionless attentions — and soon develops a naughty plan to finally get what she wants.
Excerpt:
 
‘You are a lovely bride,’ he confessed. His cheeks darkened with a blush as he spoke.
‘Thank you,’ I nodded. I wondered then if I should reply something of a similar sentiment, but he spoke before I could.
 ‘You have my word, Catherine. You need never fear that I may use you poorly. I, I know what you saw at Stanton Hall distressed you. I see it in your eyes. Even though conjugal duties are
required to sire an heir, rest assured my dearest, I will always treat you as the lady you are.’

It was, dear diary, the most emotion I’d ever heard him voice, and possibly the closest thing to a confession of affection a wife in a marriage like mine is likely to hear; but for all the sentiment he showed, it distressed rather than pleased me. I don’t want him to treat me like a lady. I want him to treat me as a woman.
BUY
About Viveka



Viveka Portman is an author of romantic erotic fiction, and has a fascination about times past. With a bachelor degree in anthropology, Viveka weaves historical fact into fiction to create lively, realistic and thrilling tales, sure to titillate and engage the most discerning reader.

Considered an upstanding member of society, Viveka does not make a habit of eavesdropping, gossiping or making vulgar displays of impropriety — except, that is, in writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment