Monday, 30 June 2014

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

...Ross S Simon



1. Tell me about your books Vein Transplant & By A Bloody Head and where you got your inspiration for them?

"Vein Transplant" is a sci-fi-themed horror yarn pertaining to a leprosy strain that makes organic creatures into monstrous hodge-podges of living veins and arteries. Its theme mainly comes from the 50s EC-Comics style of horror, through the TV show "Tales From The Crypt," which used to be one of my favorite shows to watch in reruns. "By A Bloody Head" pertains to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse themselves running as jockeys in the Kentucky Derby, a unique idea that owes its fabrication a bit more to the "Tales of the Unexpected" of Roald Dahl.

2. Do you admire your own work?

I admire my work very much, while trying not to be a prima donna about it. I also try to keep the idea in mind that my horror works aren't ever going to promote themselves. I have to reach out to the audiences out there. I can never try too much to do that, except I happen to be chronically lazy, which makes that even more of an understatement.

3. While you were writing, did you ever feel as if you were one of the characters?

During the writing of "The Snow" at least, I felt a bit like I was in the shoes of Donald Holly, the protagonist. He and I are both lonely individuals. It's almost to a scary point, at least for me. For him, it's definitely to a scary point.

4. If you were the ruler of the world, what laws would you make?

Ashamed as I am to share it anywhere, the laws I would make as supreme, dictatorial overlord of the entire planet would force everyone to be my friend under penalty of brutal, slow death.

5. If you had to do it all over again, would you changed anything in your latest book?

The only thing I would change in either of my new short stories would be to put the cover blurb on "Vein Transplant"—"What has the Lord God wrought?"—in actual quotation marks. Perhaps there would be more artistic flair.

6. Sunrises or Sunsets?

Sunrises hold more hope and positivity for me, as they mark the start of a new day, in addition to being no less beautiful than sunsets, really.

7. Do you prefer blue or black inked pens?

Blue has always been my favorite color, so I find more sophistication in blue-inked pens. Still, most creditors demand black ink instead, so that's that.

8. Would you break a law to save a loved one?

I would find it very worth breaking a law so that one that I love could live. It could likely be explained on my part in court later, and the worst I could get is a reduced sentence, like community service.

9. Who is your favourite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Like most everybody of my kind, Stephen King registers top of my list, and PERHAPS like most everybody, what strikes me about him is how he's always able to write what he does in a style that just about everybody always so completely digs.

10. What was your favourite subject at school?

If it can be said, my favorite subject at school was only one thing: graduation. And I think it CAN be said, because in twelve bloody years, the one and only thing I actually learned in school was Not To Accept People.

11. If you could try out any job for a day (real or fictional) what would you like to try?

I'd probably like to try out working in a recycling plant. It's been a lifelong dream of mine to see what goes on, up close and personal, inside one of those places.

12. What was your favourite cartoon growing up?

While I was actually growing up, my favorite cartoon was "Batman: The Animated Series." In adolescence, cartoons that were intentionally comedic didn't register high with me at all.

13. Do you watch horror movies on or from behind the couch?

I watch horror movies from the very edge of the couch seat.

14. What advice would you give to someone just starting out?

"Keep going, but don't sweat it. The flow of things will take care of its end; you just take care of yours."

15. How did you chose your genre?

I've actually been writing in multiple genres for years; it was a lucky break that I got accepted in this one manuscript I was offering at the time that happened to be horror. What are the odds?

16. What’s next for you?

What I've been planning is a supernatural shocker of sorts set in Scotland, based on an archaic children's rime: "Arthur O' The Bower."

17. What would YOU like the reader to know about your book or about you in general?

I'd like the reader to know that "Vein Transplant" and "By A Bloody Head" are two stories with which I have really been counting on entertaining the avid horror lover.

18. Why did you feel you had to tell this story?

Why does ANY horror writer feel ANY story of theirs needs to be told? The idea is good; the conveyance of it can be worked out. That seemed to be the case with "Vein" and "Head" both.

19. What sort of environment do you write in? (e.g. quiet room, a cupboard with headphones on, in a death match with the cat for control of the keyboard)

I write in a study full of history books, formerly belonging to my late father, in an atmosphere of terminal dust.


_________________________________




VEIN TRANSPLANT
In this short horror story by Ross S. Simon, author of "The Snow," a viral scientist's newly discovered leprosy strain, which destroys all but the circulatory system, falls into an unfortunate love triangle between him, a lovely coworker, and a jealous custodian...with terrifyingly bizarre results.

BUY

BY A BLOODY HEAD
In this sinisterly ironic horror short by Ross S. Simon, three freeloading English gamblers bet, successfully, on a team of four jockeys in the Kentucky Derby who turn out to be something more than of this earth...in particular according to the Book of Revelation.

BUY

About Ross

ROSS S. SIMON was born Sam Ridings in La Crosse, WI, in 1979.  He moved to Santa Cruz, CA, at age nine, where he still lives today, and graduated from Cabrillo Community College in 2006, with an AA degree in Basic Liberal Arts.  Mr. Simon's hobbies include pinball gaming, collecting pop memorabilia, and reading interesting novels of various genres.  He is the author of two horror novels: The Snow, published by Eternal Press in 2012, and Red Dahlia, published by EP's Damnation Books in 2013.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/samuel.ridings
Website: http://rossssimon.com.istemp.com

No comments:

Post a Comment