Monday, 9 June 2014

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...


...Jennifer Adan









1. Tell me about your book I Don’t See Heaven and where you got your inspiration for it?

I wrote the book in 2004 when my grandpa passed away. Not sure where I got the name Isabella from, but I wanted to write a story that shared heaven from the viewpoint of a little girl so that I can help my sister and cousin help deal with my grandfather’s death. 

2. Do you admire your own work?

Yes, I am very talented. :) 

3. What is the most demeaning thing said about you as a writer and how did you bounce back from it?

This business is very subjective and I have learned to take comments with a grain of salt. The most memorable comment made about me was that I didn't write the Blake Shelton song, I was probably just in the room. Which is true, I was in the room, but I also co-wrote that song. I didn't pay much mind to it. It was just a petty comment said purely out of jealousy and I was upset about it because this same person has said other things about me as a writer, but I don't take it to heart because I must be doing something right if other people are jealous. 

4. Have you ever hated something you wrote?

Yes! Daily! No writer writes masterpieces all day, every day. I usually arrange my songs or stories into categories of A, B, C etc. I think it has to do with chemistry, if you write well with another person, but it also has to do with song topic, if you have low blood sugar, if you need caffeine, if you're dehydrated…there are a lot of things that add to the creative process which can make or break a song or idea. 

5. If you had to do it all over again, would you changed anything in your latest book?

Not a thing.

6. If you could ask your future self, one question, what would it be?

I would ask myself what it feels like to be a worldwide superstar who makes incredible music, works with amazingly talented people, creates the most successful movies and writes the most bestsellers…sounds pretty amazing to me.

7. Who is your favourite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

I actually really like Shel Silverstein. I read his books a lot growing up and am really inspired by his book "The Giving Tree".

8. What was your favourite subject at school?

English….english….and english…lol

9. If you could try out any job for a day (real or fictional) what would you like to try?

To be a princess character at Disneyland! Either Cinderella or Belle...

10. If you could learn one random skill, what would you learn?

How to be a ninja, like Bruce Lee status.

11. What question would you most like someone to ask you? And what would be your answer?

What kept me going to pursue my dreams. I have had the dream of being a writer since I was 9 years old and I kept going through the adversity and overcame people telling me I would never amount to anything, like my choir teacher, and was still able to achieve my dreams. So the moral of the story is never give up. 

12. What advice would you give to someone just starting out?

Be persistent! It’s a hard, cruel business and you need to have a thick skin and don't let anyone crush your dreams. Meet as many people as you can and network all the time! You never know whom you're going to meet!

13. How did you chose your genre?

I was a Montessori preschool teacher for years before moving to Nashville and I think the genre chose me! 

14. Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or is it all imagination?

Based on real experiences as far as explaining death, but imagination as far seeing heaven from the airplane.

15. What’s next for you?

The better question is…what’s not? I am open to everything.

16. What would YOU like the reader to know about your book or about you in general?

I am a very eclectic writer and don't usually stick to one genre as far as books or songs. I like to write everything from happy stories to sad stories from happy songs to sad songs from country to pop. My non-children’s books are very funny and sarcastic. 

17. What sort of environment do you write in? (e.g. quiet room, a cupboard with headphones on, in a death match with the cat for control of the keyboard)

I am the most easy going writer as far as where I write. Wherever I'm inspired no matter what the atmosphere. 

18. What was the point you realised that being an author was no longer a dream but a reality?

When I held the book in my hand.  

19. Which book do you wish you’d written?

Harry Potter, Hunger Games, or any popular series books that was turned into a movie. 

20. What is the strangest thing you believed when you were a child?

Probably that the tooth fairy took our teeth in exchange for money…why would she want my teeth?

________________________________


Isabella is so excited to fly on an airplane with her mother, father, and baby brother. As the plane takes off the ground and soars into the sky, Isabella presses her nose against the window. She wants to see everything! But as the plane glides through the clouds, suddenly Isabella sits back in her seat and starts to cry.

Isabella is so sad. She thinks she will see her grandpa in heaven from high up in the sky, but he is nowhere to be found. As her mother and father try to comfort her, Isabella soon learns the secret to feeling better.

I Don't See Heaven is the story of a little girl's journey to the truth as she learns an important life lesson about how to keep love alive after a death.


About Jennifer

 Jennifer Adan’s journey began in San Mateo, California, when she was 10 years old. During a fifth-grade history class, Adan secretly wrote her first song unaware that it could lead to a career. At age 15, Adan revealed her talent by playing her parents a song she’d written for them for their 25th wedding anniversary. In addition, she let them know there were 100 more songs where that one came from.

After doing some research, Adan joined the Nashville Songwriters Association International (NSAI) and West Coast Songwriters Association (WCS). Both organizations provided contacts and educated her on the art of songwriting as well as the music business. After winning a songwriting contest by Jeffrey Steele, Adan came to Nashville to work with him and meet other talented songwriters. Steele convinced Adan to make the cross-continental move to Nashville away from her family in order to chase her dream. Now, Adan has celebrated the success of a number one hit for Blake Shelton’s “She Wouldn’t Be Gone."

She also cowrote the title track "Race You to the Bottom" with the band New Medicine which is available for download on itunes!




No comments:

Post a Comment