Monday, 8 September 2014

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

...Trae Stratton




1. Tell me about your book To Have and To Hold and where you got the inspiration for it?

“To Have and To Hold” is a Family Saga set in the 80s and 90s. The plot is anchored to a wedding, and we learn all about the MacLann family and what brings them to the big day through flashbacks. This is especially true of Colin. He’s the groom, and as the story is told from the MacLann family perspective, it creates a nifty subplot that keeps the bride’s identity a secret until the very end. However, good mysteries require clues, and there are definite clues that good detectives can use to figure out who she is. Inspiration wise, the last chapter came to me first. Then I seized on the idea that people who enjoy romances might like a variant that shows them what the men are thinking and doing on their wedding day because it’s so completely different from what goes on at the bride’s house, and the book grew from there.

2. Do you enjoy giving interviews?

This is my first, and I really appreciate the opportunity. Thank you.

3. Have you ever hated something you wrote?

Yes. To the obvious “and I deleted it” I would add that people aren’t perfect and so my characters aren’t either. Sometimes they make bad decisions regarding relationships, alcohol, or drugs. Sometimes they even die, and I have to get that dark stuff down on paper, and I hate those scenes. I hate writing them. But I feel they’re necessary for growth and story.

4. Sunrises or Sunsets?

Sunsets.

5. Would you break a law to save a loved one?

Absolutely. Every law that was in my way.

6. Is there a message in your novels you want the readers to grasp?

That happy endings do exist. But just like a good career, a healthy marriage, friendship, parenting or any other important relationship, you have to work at it. Happily ever after isn’t a permanent result, it’s a fluid string of moments that require nurturing and care to press them onward into the future through good times and bad.

7. What eye colour do you find sexiest?

It’s not the color. It’s the smolder.

8. What was your favourite cartoon growing up?

Battle of the Planets.

9. How did you chose your genre?

I never have. When ideas come the genre generally comes with it. The decision I get to make is if I think I can write it.

10. What’s next for you?

A spiritual thriller about a man who’s life story has to be hidden from the world in the Vatican Archives.

11. Which character speaks the loudest to you? Do any of them clamour to be heard over the rest?

I’m pretty lucky. They all seem to cue up patiently unless I skip their turn.

12. Why did you feel that you had to tell this story?

Because when I tried to skip its turn or take a break from it, the characters kept crowding my thoughts until I got back to them.

13. Which book do you wish you’d written?

The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn.

14. Are you scared of sharing a story idea because someone might steal it?

Very.

15. What alcoholic beverages do you favour when you hit a wall?

Either my walls are beverage resistant or I haven’t tried hard enough, but when the work reaches certain milestones that are cause for celebration, I unleash the Kraken (rum). Except around the holidays, then it’s Hendrick’s Gin.

16. If you were trapped in a room with Harrison Ford and the world was about to end, what would you do?

Save it.

_______________________________________

April 23, 1994. The date is set. Colin MacLann is getting married. Growing up in the suburbs of New York City at a time when kids could still be kids and sometimes were for too long, Colin looked like he had it all: he was smart, athletic, had a voice for rock 'n' roll, and lots of luck. There were girlfriends too, five of them: Cindy, Haley, Cara, Monique and Tessa. Each of them burst into his life at different times to inspire him in their own unique way, and more often than not, broke his heart too. Still, fate has chosen one of them to be his soul mate. Will Colin grow up in time to earn a place at the altar beside her? Or must destiny deliver someone else?


BUY

About Trae




Trae was born and raised in Queens, N.Y. After 20 years with the NYPD he retired to fill an urgent vacancy at home: Mr. Mom. He has always enjoyed writing and continues to outwit the forces of nature and temptation to make time at the keyboard. His debut novel, “To Have and To Hold,” is a charming reminder of how much fun it was to grow up just before the digital age.

WEBSITE: www.traestratton.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment