Monday, 13 October 2014

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

... Emmy Gattrell



1. Tell me about your book Meanmna: Book One of the Daearen Realms and where you got your inspiration for it?

The original seed came from a climate change denier on the radio. As I was listening to them, I asked my husband/yelled at the radio, “Why do they think every season is worse than the last? Fairies, its fairies isn’t it?” About a year later I went to write down notes from a dream and started Meanmna instead, and two weeks later I had a very rough first draft done.

2. Do you enjoy giving interviews?

I guess so. I like interviews like this where there are seemingly random questions that offer more insight to someone than a traditional interview would. I’ve created a fantasy world in my imagination, but in reality I lead a pretty simple life.

3. Do you push the elevator button more than once? Does it really make it go faster?

No, but when no one else is on the elevator, my kids and I jump as we pass the floors.

4. If you could change places with any of your favourite fictional characters and change one of their choices, who, what and why?

I have a general note to the authors of those fictional characters. There has to be more separating a couple other than the inability to communicate their feelings and thoughts to keep the story interesting. That still shouldn’t be the biggest obstacle in book six of a series or two for that matter. After they’ve almost broken up five times due to non-communication, I think they would learn their lesson. Just saying.

5. Do you watch horror movies on or from behind the couch?

My favorite is in bed, pitch black room, on a rainy day, with popcorn… Sometimes the mess of popcorn in bed is worth it. I also can’t wait to watch scary ones with my kids. I’m them getting ready with B-Sy-Fy movies like Sharknado and Sharknado: The Second One (our current favorites) they make us laugh and being scared is fun when it’s not real, so laughter’s important.

6. What advice would you give to someone just starting out?

The longer I do this I realize just how critical marketing is and how time-consuming it can be. So my advice would be to start setting up your marketing now. Get all your author pages, books pages, everything done yesterday so you can concentrate on writing; because it’s the next book that sells this one.

7. How did you choose your genre?

I write the stories I want to read. I love the world of make-believe and that myths, legends, mad men/fey, and monsters could be hidden amongst you. I love once upon a time, happily ever after, and the thought that the journey, the middle, that counts.

8. Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or is it all imagination?

I do have a lot of “Easter eggs” as my children would call them in the series. My favorite completely obscure one is for my high school theatre group. At the cast parties after a run, we would watch; The Princess Bride, Monte Python and the Holy Grail, or Airplane. Book one I reference The Princess Bride, book two Holy Grail, and book three is about the air realm so there will definitely be a quote or two from Airplane.

9. What’s next for you?

I have my fingers crossed for a December release of Eitlean: Book Three of the Daearen Realms.

10. Which character speaks the loudest to you? Do any of them clamour to be heard over the rest?

I’m writing this series in first-person, so whomever I am writing at the time is the loudest.

11. What would YOU like the reader to know about your series or about you in general?

I’d like them to understand why I’m writing the Daearen Realms in first person. The first five books are each written from a different first person perspective. Each of those characters is in a different place in their lives and offers their unique perspective on what is happening in Daearen and the fey there. Each of those individual characters will have an important part to play in the outcome, and each has their journey to complete before they are ready for that final battle.

By the time six comes, the reader will have a personal big picture idea of what it’s like there. Then book six will go back to Sarette, the Spirit Queen’s perspective. She’s like a chess master. It’s her job to put all the pieces, or nudge the pieces, into the right positions. The first part of book six starts immediately after Meanmna and the reader is going to learn all the “why’s” or as Sarette puts it the “butterfly farts” of the story. Then once all the secrets are revealed the big final battle will ensue to save their world and ours consequently.

12. What sort of Starbuck’s coffee would your characters order? Simple coffee, complicated soy-non-fat-extra-espresso-half-caff-nightmare?

Elwin, Lilly, and Mathew: black.

Sarette: exotic roast with too much cream and sugar.

Banee-Belle: Triple shot, not fat, vanilla latte with three sugars and a cube of ice.

13. How do you deal with brilliant ideas that pop up while you’re writing something else?

I have a future folder filled on my computer with bullet point basic outlines of ideas that pop up. Sometimes I ignore them, sometimes I’ll take the time necessary to produce a more detailed outline, it all depends on the idea.
_____________________________________



Seventeen-year-old Sarette has always thought of her life as average, even a bit boring. She does well in school, has a loving mother and a loyal best friend, Mathew. Of course, she has her problems as well—cold Michigan winters, a long-lost father she knows nothing about, and the lack of a boyfriend. She also has the vague sensation that she is being watched by some unseen entity, but figures that means she’s average and crazy. Nothing could be further from the truth . . .

Daearen isn't much different than the human world. Imagine a world where science is replaced with magic.

BUY

About Emmy



Emmy Gatrell has been a voracious reader since an early age and recently launched her own writing career with the highly rated Meanmna: Book One of the Daearen Realms series. The follow on book, Bienn-Theine: Book One of the Daearen Realms continues her success. As the mother of two boys, Emmy continues balancing writing, reading, and parenting—not it that order. She and her family split their time between the North Georgia Mountains and Costa Rica.




No comments:

Post a Comment