Monday, 3 November 2014

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

...Eldred J Buck


1. Tell me about your book, All The Sons of Abraham and where you got your inspiration for it?

The book is about the how the world has changed since 9/11 and the law of unintended consequences. I was very fortunate to have lived in the Middle East during some fascinating times, particularly when seen from the context of the world we live in today. It seems to me there are many misconceptions about this part of the world and I drew upon many of my experiences to write about these in the book.

2. Do you enjoy giving interviews?

Depends on the questions. Despite first impressions I do try my best not to give totally idiotic answers. Fingers crossed yours aren’t too tricky!

3. Have you ever read or seen yourself as a character in a book or movie?

Oh yes, almost always! In my fevered imagination practically everything I’ve ever read or seen features an implausible version of me in it. I’ve been everything from Captain Kirk to Rick from Casablanca. Sadly in every case the similarities are strikingly few and thus a constant source of disappointment when I look in the mirror!

4. What’s the most blatant lie you’ve ever told?

I hope this is your only tricky question. The most blatant? Let me see, that’s tricky because there are fair few contenders. How about, I’ll come back to this one later…Honest!

5. While you were writing, did you ever feel as if you were one of the characters?

Yes, almost all of them. There is a little bit of oneself in all of them, especially the bad ones!

6. Have you ever hated something you wrote?

Sure, my trash fills up pretty quickly when I’m writing and needs regular emptying.

7. Sunrises or Sunsets?

Another tricky question! Both, sunrise because, I’m a bit of an early bird and actually I find that my writing is best done early in the day. Sunsets on the other hand, provide the perfect backdrop to feet up and a contemplative cool drink.

8. Would you break a law to save a loved one?

Absolutely, without question.

9. Is there a message in your novels you want the readers to grasp?

Well there are a number of themes that run through them; appearances can be deceptive, love can be destructive, life is precious, but I think the biggest one is that we all make mistakes and mostly for the ‘right’ reasons but that is what makes us human. More succinctly, to err is human to forgive divine.

10. Who is your favourite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Anthony Burgess, for the extraordinary intelligence and powerful empathy of his books, not to mention the sheer breadth and volume of his work.

11. Would you rather be the good guy or the bad guy in a movie?

Oh I think the bad guy definitely. They always seem to have way much more fun than the goodies. Any of the baddies in any of the Bond movies would be fine with me, which incidentally, I love.

12. What was your favourite cartoon growing up?

It’s just got to be Wacky Races, by a mile. Dick Dastardly and Muttley headed a brilliant cast of characters. I have also to admit that I had a big crush on Penelope Pitstop as well.

13. Do you watch horror movies on or from behind the couch?

I’m afraid I’m a bit of a pathetic scardy-cat. I always jump about on the sofa, saying ‘Noooo’ to the character as they go to their inevitable doom in horror flicks. Honestly I think I’ve improved though, as a child I watched practically every Dr Who adventure from behind the sofa.

14. What question would you most like someone to ask you? And what would be your answer?

Hey Eldred did you enjoy this year’s after Oscars party more than last year? Oh,yes I did Leo…

15. Why did you feel you had to tell this story?

This is a tale about human folly and I feel that sometimes we all need a little reminder that we all can make mistakes. This is particularly true about the Middle-East, and the kinds of horrific images that we see on our screens more and more these days, I feel that we need much more understanding and much less intolerance from all sides.

16. What was the point you realised that being an author was no longer a dream but a reality?

The day I read my first review. It’s a wonderful validation and I still get the same feeling every time I get a comment from any reader

17. Which book do you wish you’d written?

Earthly Powers
_____________________________________

Alex Bell, a successful banker, seems to have it all, until an out of control affair convinces him to gamble everything on a move to the Arabian Gulf. Once there, Alex ends up saving the life of a young man called Mohammed, an act which has unintended consequences. Alex suddenly finds himself unwittingly embroiled in a terrorist plot. Caught in a living nightmare between Jihadists and the CIA, Alex seeks to find the answers, while Mohammed has his own destiny to fulfill, one that will change the world forever.

Read an Extract here

BUY

About Eldred

Eldred gained his BSc degree at Leeds University, England, during which he also won a scholarship to study at the Volcani Institute, Israel, where he lived and worked for one year. Always a keen sportsman, he currently plays squash, swims, sails, skis and is very much an all rounder, living life to the full.

He has worked in investment banking and finance in Europe and the Middle-East, most recently in London, for a supranational bank and then founded and ran his own investment management firm, specializing in Islamic Banking.  As well as writing his much anticipated sequel, he is a regular speaker at banking conferences. He is currently involved in software development for the Islamic Banking, Property and Investment sectors.

Website: www.eldredbuck.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/AllTheSonsOfAbraham

Twitter: @EldredBuck

1 comment: