Monday, 17 November 2014

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

...Samantha Jacobey



1. Tell me about your series, A New Life, and where you got your inspiration for it?

When I was about 15 years old, I heard a story about a teenaged girl who was kidnapped by a biker gang, and her parents were searching for her something like 10 years later. The idea really stuck with me, and I took that one shred of ‘truth’ and added a whole lot of imagination… Why did they take her? What might she have experienced? Did she get away? Where is she now? The story you can now read is my answer to those questions, created over about 25 years of asking, dreaming, and rearranging that reality.

2. Do you admire your own work?

I love my own work. I think it is very good, but at the same time, I am always working to make it better. Call me a perfectionist, although I understand that perfection is in reality unattainable.

3. Sunrises or Sunsets?


Sunrise, definitely. In my life since I divorced my first husband, I have completely changed my personality, and where I used to be a nightowl, I get up very early these days. I definitely adore the beauty of a rising sun and the promise and possibility that each new day holds.

4. Do you prefer blue or black inked pens?

Haha – neither… I write in vivid colors and use peacock blue, purple and green on a regular basis… blue and black are only for a last resort.

5. Would you break a law to save a loved one?

Oh, there is no question about that – absolutely. Of course, you have not specified which one, or how sever, but if a person’s life were to be involved, I could definitely see myself making that call.

6. Is there a message in your novels you want the readers to grasp?

Hmmm, that is an interesting concept. I don’t think it is really a message, but the story is definitely happening on several levels, and so there are some who will pick up on the subtle undercurrent, and some who will not. Doing so will only enrich the experience, and certainly those who don’t see it will still enjoy the books.

7. If you could try out any job for a day (real or fictional) what would you like to try?

I always wanted to be an archaeologist. I think it would be fantastic to research the past and dig up pieces of history.

8. Do you watch horror movies on or from behind the couch?

I don’t watch horror movies. My life has had a great deal of horror in it, and I just don’t enjoy them. I prefer to watch things that are suspense filled, or make me laugh.

9. What’s next for you?

Such a broad question! First, I am going to become a full time writer at the end of this school year (for those who don’t know, I am a teacher by day and intended to make this move at the end of last year, but it did not work out.) I have a new series that I am working on, but the progress is very slow due to my work commitments, and I cannot wait to really dig in and get busy on my dystopian thriller.

10. Are you scared of sharing a story idea because someone might steal it?

Haha another good one, and yes that is sometimes a fear, but not any more than being afraid people will think I am nuts.

11. What alcoholic beverages do you favour when you hit a wall? 

I don’t drink much, and never have been a big fan of it. However, my favourite is margarita, and I can drink those until I can’t see straight if I do.

12. How do you deal with brilliant ideas that pop up while you’re writing something else?

I have a folder on my computer that is for idea files. Any time I have something pop up that I want to save, I make a new word doc and put what ever the idea is in it to save. For example, I have a few shorts, a few outlines, some character profiles, and whatever has come to mind to play with later. I find it to be a great resource and can a good way to clear my thoughts or sort through an idea and then set it aside.

13. If you could have only three electrical appliances in your home, what would you have a why?

Have to have the water heater, because no way in hell am I taking cold showers. Also have to have a computer, because I have dysgraphia, and writing things by hand is a huge struggle, not to mention trying to read them later. And finally, I need a refrigerator, because I do like fresh foods, and that is the only way to keep them.

14. Name something you do when you’re alone but wouldn’t do in front of others?

Sing. I LOVE to sing, in the shower and in my car. However, just knowing that someone can hear me causes my throat to clamp shut and I can’t make a sound.

__________________________________




To what lengths would you go to break away from a life filled with pain and suffering?

Tori Farrell has lived a dangerous life. When you grow up with a Motorcycle Gang of Mercenaries and Drug Lords like the Dragons, a normal life is more like a fairy tale. For years, she accepted her dark reality, a world consisting of drugs, sex, violence and murder. In the end, she learned the most valuable lesson: survival.

After years of being ruled by the Dragons, Tori uses her skills of seduction and assassination to free herself from the grasp of the people who vowed they would never let her go. Taken in by the FBI, she fears not everything is what it seems, and soon finds herself lost in a web of lies and deceit. She thought getting away from the Dragons would put her on a path to a new and better life, but now she must face the cold hard truth… there is always a price to be paid.

Extract from CAPTIVE

            Tori stopped at that point, having reached the part she had intended to tell, which was how she got the large scar that covered her eye. Eli sat motionless, a good listener who did not mind if she rambled at times. Tori stared at him for a minute, and then asked timidly, "Why are you here?" Eli jumped slightly, a startled expression crossing his face. "I mean, I am sure you don't come to visit me out of the goodness of your heart. You want something from me. What is it you are looking for?"
            Eli felt defeated beneath the pressure of the deadline he had been given, and knew this could be his last chance to finally get what they needed. "You already gave me part of it," he admitted quietly, "But we need details. We need to know about the Dragons. Where they went, what they did, and who they did it for. What were they into exactly?"
            Tori shook her head slightly; a little sad she had been right about his visits. Deep down, she would have liked that he came to her because he cared. But no one cared for her, not since Henry died. "They were into whatever was paying. As far as details, why should I give you those things? What I have already told you could cost me my life—why should I give you any more?"
            "Because it is the right thing to do," Eli said flatly. "And because you will get your freedom. You tell us everything you know, good or bad, your fault, Eddie's fault, whatever it is, and you get your new life…”


About Samantha


Samantha Jacobey is a friendly kind of person, never met a stranger and takes up conversations anywhere and at any time. She is a hard work hard, who takes things pretty seriously. Her mind never seems to shut down, and she is often caught day dreaming about faraway places and events.

Samantha grew up and still live in the great state of Texas, where everything is bigger, better, and the weather is warm most of the year. She has four sons and a new granddaughter to keep her busy when she is not working on her writing and promoting her books. She loves creating stories and hopes that her fans enjoy reading them as much as she enjoyed dreaming about them, and hopes to have many more to share in the years to come.





Twitter:  @samjacobey





1 comment: