Monday, 1 December 2014

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

...Lorraine Nelson


1. Tell me about your book, Her Christmas Wishes, and where you got your inspiration for it?

Every year I write a short Christmas story to celebrate the season. Most of what I write is western romance, so I wasn’t at all surprised to have an independent rancher heroine calling the shots. Needing some time alone, she’s quite happy to be stranded at the family lodge while closing it for the winter. And then comes a knock on the door... As to inspiration, it comes in various forms, a name, a location, an idea, something I see or hear. Almost anything can stir the muse to life.

2. Do you admire your own work?

Of course! I tend to write what I enjoy reading, which makes it more of a hobby, but if I don’t like what I’ve written on a particular day, out it goes.

3. Do you enjoy giving interviews?

Yes. I love meeting and interacting with people. And if I gain a few new fans along the way, I consider it a bonus.

4. Have you ever read or seen yourself as a character in a book or movie?

LOL Definitely not. I’m a homebody, content to leave that area to someone else.

5. What is the most demeaning thing said about you as a writer and how did you bounce back from it?

I’ve had a couple of 1 and 2 star reviews, which I didn’t particularly like, but as most of them are 4 and 5 stars, I don’t worry about the rest. You can’t please everybody.

6. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?

Not a thing. It’s written with love for my readers to enjoy.

7. Is there a message in your novels you want the readers to grasp?

I write about family ties, the bonds that draw a family together and make them want to protect each other. Happy ever afters are a must in my books.

8. What was your favourite subject at school?

English

9. If you could learn one random skill, what would you learn?


Woodworking, then I wouldn’t have to wait for a man to fix things.

10. Do you watch horror movies on or from behind the couch?

Behind, I’m not a horror fan. I like to sleep at night and my imagination takes off when the story ends. I remember watching Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte and I still see that decapitated head rolling down the stairs to this day.

11. What advice would you give to someone just starting out?

Learn your craft. Ask questions and listen to the answers. Don’t be afraid or turned off by the critics out there. Write from the heart, and you’ll always be successful in your own right.

12. How did you chose your genre?

I think it chose me. I grew up watching John Wayne and Bonanza, so I’ve always loved westerns.

13. Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or is it all imagination?

It’s total fiction, although I do believe that a part of me appears in every book.

14. Which character speaks the loudest to you? Do any of them clamour to be heard over the rest?

Erica in Her Christmas Wishes wouldn’t shut up, so I put my other works aside to get her story written and published. I hope to have it available in print soon.

15. What was the point you realised that being an author was no longer a dream but a reality?

It was in 2011 when I had contracts offered from two different publishers. I chose Evernight and when that first cover arrived for Zakia and the Cowboy, it almost brought me to tears.

16. Which book do you wish you’d written?

I have several partly written manuscripts that I hope to finish one day. I wish I had written down my grandfather’s stories. I would have loved to produce a collection of his.

17. How do you handle working with an editor without letting pride get in the way?

I’ve had amazing editors. Not much difference of opinion. If I don’t like their change, I say so and don’t change it, but those occasions have been extremely rare. I enjoy working with editors and I respect their opinions. Their honest critiques have made me a better writer. <3 my editors.

18. Are you scared of sharing a story idea because someone might steal it?

Not at all. They might steal the idea but they’d never write the story as I would.

19. How do you deal with brilliant ideas that pop up while you’re writing something else?

I open a new file, jot down the details to save for future use, and go back to writing. If that doesn’t calm them down, I put other works aside and concentrate on the one hollering the loudest. I love it when the characters speak to me and write their own stories. Makes life a lot easier.

20. If you could have only three electrical appliances in your home, what would you have and why?

Stove, fridge, and computer. I eat to live and I live to write.
______________________________

Erica London needs some time alone to figure out if she should continue with the in vitro treatments. They haven’t worked so far. She really wants to have a baby and an heir to the ranch…to know he or she was on the way before Christmas. Of course, wishing for a man to love her and produce said baby would be wonderful, but that’s not about to happen. She rides over to the London Lodge, situated on the back end of the London Ranch, to clean and close it down for the winter. A freak blizzard has her snowed in, but she doesn’t mind in the least. She has food, shelter, and wood fires to keep her warm. Besides, she enjoys not having the phone ringing or wranglers stopping in to chat.

Spencer Rafferty is on his way to his brother’s wedding when he takes a wrong turn and ends up on a side road. His car hits a nasty drift and barrels into the ditch. With no signal on his cell phone, he looks around and all he sees is white. He smells wood smoke but can’t determine where it’s coming from. Then, in a moment of clarity when the wind dies down, he sees the smoke and walks down the road toward it.

Erica opens the door with gun in hand, unsure whether or not to allow the stranger in. But the storm is a raging blizzard and she takes pity on him. When not covered in snow, she sees just how handsome the man is…and he’s not wearing a ring. When the power goes out, things heat up. Could this man be the one to make her wishes come true? Did she have it in her to embark on a weekend affair? And could she survive his leaving when the storm was over?


About Lorraine

Lorraine Nelson is a multi-published author who lives in rural New Brunswick, on the east coast of Canada. Always a bookworm, she’s read many novels of romance and mystery over the years, finally deciding to put her pen to work at writing one.
Lorraine lives alone with an independent yet affectionate tomcat, enjoys spending time with her three sons and six grandchildren. When not at the computer, you can find her spending time with family, gardening, baking and, of course, reading.




5 comments:

  1. I saw the book in it's development stage and was really excited about it. Now to see it all wrapped up in a beautiful cover I'm thrilled. It is a great holiday read. I'd recommend it with a hot hard cider and a roaring fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I love having a fire going. Thank you for your kind words, Nese. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for having me here today, Sonnet. The post looks lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Interview Lorraine--Loved this part! "I write about family ties, the bonds that draw a family together and make them want to protect each other."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul. This is, perhaps, most evident in my series, although all my books are about fitting in and finding love, family, belonging. :)

      Delete