Monday, 22 December 2014

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

 ...Steve LeBel



1. Tell me about your book, The Universe Builders, and where you got your inspiration for it?

The Universe Builders is a humorous fantasy about a young god who just graduated from God School and is out to build his first universe. Unfortunately, Bernie isn’t the brightest or the most talented of the graduates. In his defense, he does try really hard...



I got the idea for it when I was back in school. One of my friends who was having a string of bad luck grumbled, “God must have gotten a C- in Universe Building 101.” The idea was so outrageous that I never forgot it. Finally, when I had time, I knew I had to write about it.

2. Do you admire your own work?

I think my story is very strong, so I would say yes; I wouldn’t change much about it. I would, however, change lots of the wording.

3. Have you ever read or seen yourself as a character in a book or movie?

Well, I get some notoriety from the fact that I have always loved technology. I got my first computer in 1980. So maybe…

Well, these are some cartoons I did about my main character, Bernie, who is the god/hero of my book. 


And then, of course, this one was close behind…


4. Have you ever hated something you wrote?

Well, I have come to REALLY hate the villain in my story. Does that count?




5. What was your last dream about?

Flying. I just LOVE flying dreams.

6. Sunrises or Sunsets?

It would have to be sunsets. I never get up early enough to see sunrises.

7. Would you break a law to save a loved one?


Of course. I would even bend the rules to help a friend…

 
8. Is there a message in your novels you want the readers to grasp?

No message. I just want to tickle their imagination and their minds at the same time.

9. How did you chose your genre?

My work has always been pretty intense and full of drama. So when I read, I want to read fantasy and fiction. When I started writing, it was humor and when I started writing books, it was natural to make it humorous fantasy.

10. How do you handle working with an editor without letting pride get in the way?

It was easy on the first book because I was learning as I went along. I also was fortunate in having a very talented editor (two, actually). It’s easy to accept their suggestions when they are right.

11. What did you do to try to make your book special?


Well, this comes to mind…



12. What’s next for you?

I am going to keep writing for a while. At least until it stops being fun.


___________________________________



A young god graduates from God School and gets his dream job of building his first universe.  Plagued by a school rival and aided by his friends, he struggles to create a world he can be proud of.


Read an Extract here


BUY


About Steve


Businessmen are serious people, right?  Not always. Steve LeBel — hospital president, technology entrepreneur, algorithmic stock trader — is definitely not serious. Not when he writes.

Whimsy overcomes him at the word processor. Whimsy is at the core of his novel, The Universe Builders, which he tells with a unique balance of seriousness, humor, and imagination.

LeBel lives in Muskegon, Michigan with his wife Marge, and Mindy and Dexter, their cats.  When not writing, he is busy planning his next trip, cussing out the stock market, doing tech support for friends, or dreaming up new Universe Builder plots.



Book Site: www.TheUniverseBuilders.com
Email: Steve@TheUniverseBuilders.com
Twitter: SteveLeBel
Facebook: SteveLeBel.Author

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for interviewing me, Sonnet. It was a fun interview to do.

    I have an exciting update about my book. Writer's Digest just named The Universe Builders as its 2015 Grand Prize Winner for the book competition that just ended. They will be doing a formal announcement in the May issue of the magazine.

    If you or your readers would like more info, you can find it on my site:

    http://theuniversebuilders.com/grand-prize-from-writers-digest-goes-to-the-universe-builders/

    Thanks!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete