Monday, 2 February 2015

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

...Susan Whitfield



1.    Tell me about your book Slightly Cracked and where you got your inspiration for it.

I’m in my 60s and finished with menopause so I can now laugh at some of the horrible flashes I had. I decided to write about two middle-aged life-long friends who support each other through some truly stressful circumstances.

2.    What is one misconception people have about you?

That I’m not particularly friendly. Honestly, I’m quite introverted and sometimes quite uncomfortable in a crowd.

3.    What do you think is the biggest challenge of writing a new book?

Um, I guess getting it straight in my mind so that I don’t have to waste time outlining and reoutlining as I go along. I seem to have trouble with time. I also don’t like interruptions like phone calls and unexpected visitors. I’m easily distracted.

4.    Are the titles of your books important?

I think so, especially my Logan Hunter Mystery series, each one named after a place. The title Slightly Cracked came about due to gaggle of geese who returned to the same pond each year to nest and hatch their young and also because of Daisy’s concussion.

5.    How much of your book is realistic?

Well, my readers who are mostly 40-70 years old say they can relate to Sugar Babe and Daisy Marie, so it must be fairly realistic.

6.    What is your favourite character from your book and why?

I love Daisy Marie Hazelhurst because of her malapropisms. She doesn’t mean to be hilarious but she is.

7.    Where did your love of books/storytelling/reading/writing/etc. come from?

I started reading when I was four years old and still read when I’m not writing. Our home was filled with books and I usually got some for my birthday or Christmas.

8.    What do you like to read in your free time?

I read every genre except fantasy, sci-fi, vampires and such.

9.    What are you ambitions for your writing career?

I have seven published novels and am currently writing my first historical fiction, the most challenging project I’ve ever undertaken. I hope to complete it during 2015. It is titled Sprig of Broom.

10. What are your thoughts on writing a book series?

I thoroughly enjoyed writing the five novels in the Logan Hunter series but knew I wanted to try some other genres as well. I decided to end the series with Logan in a much better position and move on to some other genres. I have written one women’s fiction and authored a cookbook. I’m not sure if I’ll do another series but I certainly plan to write another women’s fiction.

11. What is the strangest talent you have?

 I am a great whistler.

_________________________________________

Daisy Marie Hazelhurst and Sugar Babe Beanblossom have been friends since infancy. The only thing to ever threaten their lifelong friendship is the Old Dickeywood subdivision goose controversy.

All if forgiven when Sugar Babe realizes that she must encourage and protect Dairy through difficult circumstances and "Driving Miss Daisy" takes on a whole new meaning.

BUY

About Susan



Multi-genre author Susan Whitfield writes the Logan Hunter Mystery series with gruesome weapons, strong women, quirky characters and humor. Mysteries include Genesis Beach, Just North of Luck,Hell Swamp, Sin Creek and Sticking Point. She authored Killer Recipes, a unique cookbook, and wrote a women's fiction, Slightly Cracked. She's currently writing an historical fiction. Susan interviews authors and industry experts on the blog.



 

3 comments:

  1. I have read every book that Susan has written and can attest that she is a multi-genre author extraordinaire. Loved them all. Also, only recently met Susan and never had a chance to hear her whistle. What a hoot! What a personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. You're so funny, Mary. I'll call you one day and whistle for you. Thanks for the high praise from an extraordinarily talented gal, who paints, photographs and writes. Where do you find the time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonnet, apparently my first comment didn't go through. I thank you so much for having me over. I'll continue to follow your writing as well.

    ReplyDelete