Monday, 2 March 2015

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

...Roseanne Dowell



1. Tell me about your book All in the Family, and where you got your inspiration for it?

This story actually came to me from a short story I wrote years ago about a little girl named Huckleberry. The name of the child came from a friend who was expecting his first grandchild and insisted he was calling the child Huckleberry – boy or girl. From that my heroine Callie Johnson was born. Somehow, parts of my crazy family evolved and hence All in the Family was born.

2. Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad?

Yes, I read the reviews. I respond to the good reviews, seldom to the bad. I think ignoring the bad reviews is best. No matter what you say, you’re not going to change the reader’s mind and you could come off sounding snarky. That’s an image no author wants.

3. Is there one subject you would never write about as an author? What is it?

I don’t write erotica. I don’t care to read it, and I believe in writing what I like to read.

4. Where did your love of books/storytelling/reading/writing/etc. come from?

Wow, that’s a tough one. I can’t really say for sure. As long as I remember I always loved books, reading, and making up stories.

5. Are you a full-time or part-time writer? How does that affect your writing?

I consider myself a full time writer, although I admit I don’t write every day like I used to. Maybe because the characters in my current WIP isn’t talking to me the way my characters in my other books did.

6. What do you like to read in your free time?

I still like to read mysteries and romantic mysteries.

7. What are you ambitions for your writing career?

I’d love to have a best seller. What author wouldn’t? But I’m happy just getting my books published.

8. Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages a day?

I try to write something every day. No I don’t have a set number of words. I admit lately there are days I don’t write at all. Life interferes. I love when the words flow and I can sit and write for hours.

9. If a two year old hands you a toy phone, do you answer it?

Absolutely. How can you not? Isn’t it a force of habit? Besides, how could you disappoint the two year old?

10. What’s your star sign? Do you read your horoscope and do you believe them?

My star sign is Gemini. I read them for fun. I can’t say I believe them. If you read all of the horoscopes, they’re pretty much the same and very general.

11. Where’s Waldo?

Waldo’s where abouts will forever remain a secret.

12. If you had to dispose of a dead body, how would you do it?

I’d tell you, but then I’d have to kill you. I actually did dispose of a body in one of my books, Shadows in the Attic. To find out how you’ll have to read it. How was that for a quick promo. LOL
_______________________________________


Taking over the police chief’s job in her hometown should have been easy for Callie Johnson. After working in a big city, small town crime would be a breeze. What a surprise when she arrives to find her grandmother, the judge, accused of murder. As if that isn’t enough she’s attacked while walking to her car. Between criminal investigations, her nutty family’s antics and her Aunt Beatrice Lulu's matchmaking, Callie has her work cut out for her. Will her grandmother be exonerated? Can Callie ward off her aunt’s unsuitable suitors? What other surprises are in store for her?

BUY

About Roseanne

Roseanne grew up reading Nancy Drew mysteries and soon moved on to Victoria Holt and Phyllis Whitney. She's also a big fan of Agatha Christie and Nora Roberts. While working as a school secretary, her fellow employees encouraged her to take a correspondence course, writing for children. It didn't take long to realize writing for children took someone special. That's when she moved on to romance novels. Her stories sat in the attic with her poems and journals for years. In 2002 at a Book Club meeting, she confessed her regret at not pursuing a writing career. That's all it took. They convinced her it wasn't too late. After giving it some thought, she decided to take another writing course, writing for adults this time. Within a few months, her first article was published in Good Old Days Magazine. Soon after, she had articles published in several magazines Nostalgia, Ohio Writers and several online magazines.. Roseanne's first book, Satin Sheets, was published in 2006. Since then, she's decided to go the way of E-books. Roseanne writes various types of romance - paranormal, contemporary and mystery. Her heroines range from early twenties to late seventies. Yes, seniors need love, too. Roseanne lives with her husband of more than fifty years, has six grown children, fourteen grandchildren and great grandchildren. Between writing, quilting, and embroidering, she also enjoys blogging, tweeting, facebooking, and posting on various writers' groups. Her favourite time is spent with her family.

You can find more about Roseanne at www.roseannedowell.com and http://roseannedowellauthor.blogspot.com

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for having me here today. I enjoyed doing the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post and learning a little more about you, Roseanne. Thanks.Wishing you great success with All in the Family.

    Joan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joan. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and read my interview. Much success with your books also.

      Delete
  3. Love that you'd answer a 2 yr old's phone! But with all that family I guess it would come easy. This is another book I'll have to put on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you've ever been around 2 year olds, you know why you'd answer the phone LOL Thanks for commenting Victoria. It was such a fun book to write.

      Delete
  4. Hi Roseanne, Great interview. That is so nice that you would answer a 2 year old's phone. It shows you have a good heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret. Not so sure about a good heart, but 2 year olds are precious and some of my favorite people. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. There's something just WRONG with an adult who wouldn't answer a toy phone for a two year old! Great interview, Ro! And since Ro Dowell is my best cyberspace buddy, I can assure all readers she was absolutely truthful in every answer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I'd answer every question truthfully. I don't generally lie about anything and certainly never on interview questions. I've often answered toy phones. More times than I can remember. LOL And carried on many imanginary conversations on them.

      Delete