Wednesday, 12 August 2015

Dusty Pages Review: The Never Ending Story






Everyone remembers the movie from when they were a kid. It wasn't until I was in my late teens that I even knew that The Neverending Sotry started life out as a book. However I couldn't get my hands on a copy for love nor money. It wasn't until 2011, when I was vacation in Canada that I stumbled upon a copy in a tiny little bookstore on Vancouver Island where I was camping with a friend.

However, I recently came to re-read this when I was in my local bookstore and saw a brand new print edition in the children's section. I did not like the new cover, preferring the one above which is the cover my copy has.

What one should not expect when reading this book is to find it anything like the film. As books do they go into far more detail than you can fit into a movie, especially a movie from a time before it was okay with audiences to do three hour long epics. I think that books will always be better than the movies they spawn and this one is proof. I mean you learn far more about Sebastian, his life and his imagination that you see in the film. There are also a host of characters that don't seem to make it into the movies at all.

I recommend this read to anyone, no matter your age, though there are some bits that might be a bit hard for younger children to grasp.

I give The Neverending Story


No comments:

Post a Comment