Saturday, 1 August 2015

The Traditional Birthday Interview

So I've done this every year since I started this blog, I take a selection of the questions from my Meet The Writer segment and answer them myself. I hope you will enjoy it.


1. If you could sing one song on American Idol, what would you sing?

I’m not much of a singer. I probably sound like Kermit with Miss Piggy sat on his chest. I’d have to choose something slow with no high notes – I’d really struggle with those. I often find I sound better singing songs by men. I might just be able to pull of a version of The Hanging Tree.

2. Who is your role model and why?

I can’t say I could name a specific person. I admire all female authors out there. Especially those from the early days before it became acceptable for a woman to write a book about anything.

3. If you could cast a Patronus Charm (like in Harry Potter) what animal would it be and why?


Could I have a house elf as my patronus? I think that would be cool. I always sort of secretly liked Dobby but then I’d risk the chance of it wanting freedom by being given a glove or something. I think I should stick to something safe, like a tiger.

4. What is one misconception people have about you?

That because I’m quiet I’m docile. I’m a bit on the introverted side but I can and will stand up for myself when I need to. Most of the time I just let people talk, I know the truth and those that matter to me know the truth, so what does the rest matter.

5. What do you think is the biggest challenge of writing a new book?

Creating an idea that sticks out from the rest of those out there.

6. How much of your book is realistic?

I like realism in books. I like to believe the worlds I’m reading could actually exist so why wouldn’t I try to put that into the ones I’m creating. I like to think that’s why I was drawn to Urban Fantasy. Our world only a little bit different.

7. Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Getting romance right. I don’t have a great deal of experience. Well, not in getting it right anyway. I’m never sure if that element of my stories is believable or if there is a reader somewhere scoffing and rolling their eyes.

8. What is your favourite character from your book and why?

I have a soft spot for the naughty ones. My favourite at the moment is probably Vincent from my Cassandra Farbanks Series. Making him a vampire just opened up a whole range for him and it’s fun to watch what he’ll do next.

9. Have you ever written a book that you loved but were unable to get published?

I wrote a book called A Chance of Rain. It wasn’t picked up by my current publisher but I have been convinced by a friend to try it somewhere else. If that’s not successful, I have been looking into self-publishing it.

10. Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad?

I always read my reviews. I like to know what people think, good or bad. I don’t respond though. I was once told that was the worst thing you could do, especially if the review was bad. With bad reviews I tend to go through the five stages of grief.

11. Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages a day?

I tried to do this once but I never managed to stick to it. Sometimes I write a little and sometimes I write a lot. It’s just the way it is. I can’t force my characters to perform, they aren’t circus monkeys, they will tell me their stories when they’re ready and not before.

12. What do you think of “trailers” for books?

I quite like them. I’ve made a couple myself, they aren’t that great because I’m not very advanced with the software but I’ll keep trying. Maybe I’ll get better, maybe I won’t.

13. A penguin walks through that door right now wearing a sombrero. What does he say and why is he here?

“Do you have any ice?”

14. If I came to your house for dinner, what would you prepare for me?

I’m not much of a cook but I’m sure I could whip up a little something. Can’t go too wrong with steak and potato salad.

15. Where would your dream vacation be?

I’ve always wanted to go to Japan.

16. What is the weirdest foods you eat together and most people would consider disgusting?

Chocolate cake and tabasco. Saw it in a TV show, tried it, it’s not too bad.

17. What would be the most gratifying thing a fan could do in your opinion?

Send me an email. Ask me a question. I’m not very well known so I don’t get a great deal of interaction.

18. What’s your star sign? Do you read your horoscope and do you believe them?

I’m a Leo. I did read it a lot when I was a kid and I used to think how like me they sounded but now I think how there are probably fifty million people that same paragraph could describe.

19. What was the first thing you bought with your own money?

Lunch.

20. What was the last movie, TV show or book that made you cry or tear up?

Last book that had me weeping was The Fault in our Stars. I have the movie on DVD but haven’t be brave enough to watch it yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment