Wednesday, 9 September 2015

Dusty Pages Review: Fifty Shames



I'm not usually one for picking up parodies. I often find that books making fun of other books feels cheap - riding on the success of someone else's hard work to make a quick buck for yourself. So I turned away from Barry Trotter and Bored of the Rings but when I saw this sitting in a charity shop on a bottom shelf - I found myself adding it to my already laden arms. Maybe I chose it because I don't rank E L James up there with Rowling and Tolkien as her work started as fanfiction of Twilight and thought it was okay to parody that but either way decision was made.

I have to say though it was hilarious, parts of it were just bad, the mish mash of Fifty Shades, Twilight and any other movie reference this thing could make. It was a quick read that made me COL (chuckle out loud) but not more than that. Jin instead of Jacob who was a brony (a boy into my little pony) had to be the funniest part, well that and the eternally buzzed roommate Kathleen. The best thing about this book was that by the end of it, I was left not giving a crap about the characters, they were so empty that I couldn't make any emotional attachment what so ever to them. I suppose thats the idea of parody to some extent though, its not meant to draw you in or make you think. Almost like its not a real book, its just an idea that made it to publication.

The author lists all of his fifty shames at the back, so you may not even have to read the book at all and there was a bit at the end threatening a sequel which I am happy to rule out as completely fictional. Worth a read but don't rush out and buy it.

I give it


No comments:

Post a Comment