Monday, 14 September 2015

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

... Janet Lane Walters


1. Tell me about your book
Pursuing Dr. West and where you got your inspiration for it?

The inspiration came from wanting to write a comedy but it turned to a tongue in cheek nurse doctor romance. The hero was a man who seemed to be pursuing his dates by their order in the alphabet. Her name is Zelda and this amused me quite a bit. So I would say wanting to poke fun at the many nurse/doctor romances I’ve written triggered the story and continued to grow as the story progressed.

2. If you could cast a Patronus Charm (like in Harry Potter) what animal would it be and why?

I am torn but my first choice would be a jaguar. Could also be a tiger, leopard or cheetah. Never a lion though. They’re too scruffy. Love the sleek beasts and I know such an animal would be protective. Though dragons aren’t real, one would be my second choice. Above my computer on the desk are 21 dragons plus the five that are hanging on my Christmas tree and will return to my shelf soon.

3. What do you think is the biggest challenge of writing a new book?

For me the challenge is finding a title. I can’t start the story until I at least have a working title. The good thing is this doesn’t change unless a publisher decides to change it. I remember when I was designing a title for the romance about a woman in her fifties and the title Carpe Noctum popped into my head. Seize The Night fit the story and the hero’s name Knight. They changed it to The Best Medicine. In my head the book still has the original title. My second problem is naming the characters. I have them all designed using Astrology and then I must find a name to fit. I have more baby name books than sense and will spend days combing the pages to find the right name for each character.

4. Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad?

I seldom read the reviews, though sometimes I decide I need either a pat on the back or to get angry. I never respond to the reviews since they are just one person’s opinion and not mine. A bad review will anger me for a moment but I remember that one person’s poison is another person’s joy. If the bad review isn’t one of those that makes no sense, I might pay attention when I’m writing the next book. Just remember a review good or bad is just one’s person’s opinion and not really a pat or a kick to the writer.

5. Is there one subject you would never write about as an author? What is it?

Maybe not a subject and perhaps it is one. I would never write straight horror stories. I don’t read them so writing them wouldn’t work for me. The other thing I wouldn’t write are zombies. I might venture to write about a vampire, in fact I have an idea that could turn into another tongue-in-cheek story. But that’s for another day. So straight horror is out and so are zombies. I just can’t see zombies as heroes and heroines. That leaves horror stories for them and I don’t do horror.

6. Where did your love of books/storytelling/reading/writing/etc. come from?

My love of books came from my grandfather. From the time I was a few days old, he would hold me on his lap and read poetry to me. Now I don’t remember those early days but I remember the year I turned four. His way of reading was to run his finger beneath the words as he read. Suddenly I began to read to him and I haven’t stopped reading since. I soon had my own library card and by the age of ten had graduated to the books my parents were reading. As for story telling one of the evening fun on the street where I lived was telling stories. We took turns spinning tales. We also wrote plays and staged them in a garage. So story telling was part of who I became. Even when I was training to become a nurse my care studies were not just the facts but much more with the emotions and the senses playing with the facts. So writing became a natural process.

7. What do you like to read in your free time?

My reading is as eclectic as my writing. I tend to binge read either a genre or an author. I’ve just finished reading a Mary Jo Putney regency romance series. Not I’m on to contemporary romances. Next I may hit mysteries, fantasy. Or maybe some action/adventure. If I’m researching I read the books that will impact what I’m writing. Could be on most any subject. For my most recent trilogy, an alternate ancient Egypt, I immersed myself in all things ancient Egypt. The next bit may be some nursing journals or books on diseases. I read everything but horror and am usually found with books on my Kindle or a paperback open.

8. What are your thoughts on writing a book series?

I have a number of series that I’ve written and most of them are trilogies using a different set of main characters in each story. There is one series that follows five main characters through four books. I enjoy writing both kinds of series and I do like to follow characters from story to story. My most recent trilogy takes place in an alternate ancient Egypt. Each of the paired hero and heroine have their own book but there are glimpses of the other characters in each book. I also have a series that is dependent on both a place and that all the heroines are born under the sign of Cancer. These are contemporary.

I like reading series and have many on my keeper shelf. Whether the series is about single characters or about a world with the characters continuing or not. There’s one series I’ve read all 14 and am eagerly waiting for the 15th. Writing a series forces the writer to mature the characters and to show growth. If not the series falls flat.

9. What do you think of “trailers” for books?

Trailers for books. I’ve had some done but I haven’t watched them. Mostly they bore me. I’d rather see a well written blurb. Reason is I’m not a visual person. Seeing pictures doesn’t excite me. The trailers I’ve seen are too short to really give me an idea of what a book is about. I don’t even pay attention to the covers. A sterling blurb will cause me to buy the book. Read two great and intriguing blurbs today and I will buy books by two authors I’ve never read before. My writer colleagues are always asking me to look at their trailers. I do but I don’t buy the books unless it’s an author I know and have enjoyed in the past. I don’t even like to sit through trailers at the movies.

10. Is it wrong for vegetarians to eat animal crackers?

This question tickled me and brought a laugh. There are two thoughts on the question. Much would depend on how vegetarian they are. There might be animal products in the cookie dough and that’s a no-no for vegetarians.

Another thought is animal crackers are mostly flour and sugar. Nothing wrong with a vegetarian eating those products. But – There’s always a but isn’t there. What if they were eating the animal crackers because they couldn’t eat meat and their imagination makes them think the animal crackers are really meat and brings them to realize how much they’re missing that kind of protein?

I think I’ll let each vegetarian make up their own excuse to eating those animal crackers.

11. Do you collect anything? If so what?


I collect dragons. I have so many bit some are very special. There’s the lamp I found. Light doesn’t work but the three dragons are beautiful. There’s also the one my grandson made. Though he didn’t mean to make a dragon when he brought the piece home from nursery school,, there was a yellow ancient dragon on a purple background. This dragon was the inspiration foroneof my books. There are asian dragons, one of stone, one of brass and a tiny jade dragon. Some are stuffed ones I found at a science fiction conference. An five are decorations on my Christmas tree. They come in pewter, glass and plastic. Some are jewelry. So when I find one that’s unique I buy it. Friends also give them to me.

______________________________________________


Michael West MD has a five year plan before he can consider making a commitment. He’s happy dating women who have no desire for a long-term affair. Encountering Zelda, the pest, the menace, the little girl next door who has impacted his life makes him want to run. She managed to ruin his senior prom and sent several of his dates running. Now she’s grown and the nurse manager of the surgical unit where he will see her every day. What’s a doctor to do but run?

Zelda has loved Michael for year. She knows of the odd accidents her presence has caused him. After an encounter in the condo swimming pool, the accidents become hers but she refuses to give up her quest. The problem is his dating system. He seems to be on an alphabetical quest. He’s just met G and she’s Z. Can she find a way to turn his thoughts to her or must she give up her pursuit?



BUY

About Janet



Janet Lane Walters has been a published author for 46 years. She has used her experience as a nurse and her imagination in writing her stories. Her books range from romance in many subgenres including paranormal, fantasy, contemporary ranging from sweet to spicy. She also writes mysteries, suspense, young adult fantasy, short stories, poetry and non-fiction.

6 comments:

  1. Nice interview! Love the animal-crackers question and answer.

    Pursuing Doctor West sounds like a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no dragons - but am fascinated with them. Loved the interview and the excerpt from Pursuing Doctor West made for a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann and Victoria, Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, Janet. I collect elephants so can clearly see why you love dragons. Have you ever read any Terry Pratchett books? In some the police officer's wife trains dragons and one book in particular is a laugh as this small dragon gets up to many antics while running riot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tricia, He's not one of my favorites, Anne McCaffrey's Series is what set me to looking for dragons.

    ReplyDelete