Friday, 9 October 2015

Writers On: Designing your own Kindle Book Cover Part I

There are any number of sites you can use online to make a cover for that Kindle book you're ready to publish. Simply type in "Create your own cover" and google will spews up a page full of results. However, I'm trying to increase my skill set and used Photoshop - which I find the easiest to use out of all the photo editing software I've come across.

First thing you need to do is buy an image (or several if you want to get really artsy) and there are some great sites online where you can do this. Shutterstock and Dreamstime are the two I most often use. Both have a limited section of free images you can download if your budget is really tight but these images aren't often good quality or easy to find a use for. BEWARE downloading an image from google, I know you think its a good idea at the time, that it's free, but if that image has an owner you could be looking at a pricey infringement lawsuit later down the line. So just don't do it!

Above is an image I bought for use in a book trailer but it will serve as an example throughout these segments on creating your own cover. Size is the first thing you have to look at. Once I had the image I wanted to use I made it 3000x4500 pixels. Always start big because you can make smaller sizes later without losing the quality. Where as if you start small, you get a blurrier picture as you stretch the pixels to a bigger size.

Changing the size in Photoshop is easy. You simple use the top-bar menu, click Image > Image size. This will bring up a internal window where you can change the size of the image by pixels or cm. Its best to un-tick the constrain proportions box too as we want to have exact measurements.

From this big cover, you can make other sizes - I went for a 1400x2100 & 750x1200 for uploading onto KDP and a smaller 200x300 image to use on my website as a thumbnail image.

Tip: Always save your progress as a photoshop psd as well as a jpeg. A .psd maintains all your layers so if you see a mistake/typo later you can redo it without having to start from scratch.

End of Part I

No comments:

Post a Comment