Monday, 7 December 2015

Meet a Writer Monday Presents...

... Isabell Lawless


1. Tell me about your book Burned Gasoline and where you got your inspiration for it?

My book tells the story of single mom Raylyn whom together with her baby Nova leaves a luxury life in New York after a devastating cheating scandal, which left her with nothing. Using a stash of her mother's inheritance she purchases her dream farm in a small town in the Midwest- away from media, backstabbing friends, and her cocky ex.

Jefferson, a native to the area, is a plain stunning example of the hardworking male. His divorce left him heartbroken, not only because his wife left, but for the reason she did it. He's in no way ready for a hot, dirty romance. But after running into Raylyn at the parking lot of Harold’s he has a hard time leaving those steamy thoughts alone, and find it impossible not to act on them.

A neighbouring farm outside of town secretly shelters mentally ill Sarah, who is desperate for a baby, in the belief she will become less of a social outcast raising a child and finding a man to share that dream with. When Sarah hears the news of a single mom moving into a farm not too far from hers, she believes it to be an omen she's destined to follow. That baby must be hers.

Inspirations to my stories come from everywhere, and all the time. Things people say, books I read, life situations I hear about, or things I watch on TV. It seems like I am constantly surrounded by inspiration.

2. How much of your book is realistic?

As this is my second book I have ventured away from autobiography, which was the genre in which I wrote the first novel, titled Beast of Venery. The genre here is definitely fiction, but does not contain any sci-fi material or biographical tales. But, as every writer knows, there are always parts of a book based on life experiences, just twisted slightly. It’s good to have lived a little to have the ability to write a book well.

3. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

Writing in whole is very educational. Not only do the actual writing and knowledge of words, grammar, and syntax educate, but also the marketing and publication part of writing bring learning aspects to the table. It really teaches you the whole spectrum of the love affair with books.

Personally, I learned that the more I write, the better I write, and the more I want to write. It’s a greedy, delightful circle.

4. What is your favourite character from your book and why?

Hands down, Jefferson. He’s a compilation of characters I’ve met, added with some imaginary spice. He’s bitter but hopeful. He’s hardworking but family oriented. And although he would never confess to anything that isn’t considered manly, he secretly wishes for a princess riding in a white horse saving him from misery, letting them live happily ever after. I love his character, and honestly took main parts from my own significant other...

5. Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad?

I get this question all the time, and although I appreciate and love when someone takes the time to sit down to write a review on words that I’ve chosen and put together I... raaarely read reviews. In my defence, I never read reviews on books that I’d like to read or purchase either. My feeling is that everyone has a different opinion, about everything, books included, and my mind doesn’t need to be influenced or affected by those until I’ve read it for myself, making my own judgement.

There are times when a book, a movie, or types of food have had very bad reviews or bad reputation, and I’ve ended up loving it immensely. To the point where I do not understand where all the dislike came from. Perhaps I’m weird, perhaps I’m different, or maybe I’m just thinking out of the box. Or maybe I am one of the few who speaks up against the crown... that wouldn’t be the first time.

The same goes for the opposite: I have favourite authors, favourite actors/actresses, favourite restaurants that I return to, but once in a while it goes sour and you think “what the hell just happened here?” It goes both ways.

Oh, so where were we... reviews. Well, I don’t pay much attention to them. (Oh, the highroad.)

6. Is there one subject you would never write about as an author? What is it?

No. It’s that simple.

If someone would get offended from my reading my book – then don’t read it.

If I capture your interest – thank you, please read more.

Maybe I would feel slightly discouraged to write about something I would have very little knowledge of, like a non-fictional book about car parts and race engines... wouldn’t be that much of a book.

7. What do you like to read in your free time?

I very much enjoy reading suspenseful romance novels. Where the characters push each other against the hood for a hot kiss, just to call up the FBI and hunt down a criminal for kidnapping, while having babies. I’m not quite sure who would write that book, but I would read it. Hey, perhaps I should?

If I’m not in a sexy mood I enjoy biographies if people, cultures, or non-fictional books of gardening, interior design, and sewing.

8. Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages a day?

No. I set a timer and am not allowed to stop writing until that alarm goes off. Never counting words, never counting pages. Just time-pushing.


9. What are your thoughts on writing a book series?


I love reading book series, and right now I am currently writing my first series, and I love it. I enjoy creating new characters, but like to melt the previous and future ones into the same storyline. I think it makes a book richer somehow; building a fictional character community.

10. A penguin walks through that door right now wearing a sombrero. What does he say and why is he here?

“Oh, my Gosh. That Tequila must have been stronger than I thought. Talk about misreading a compass.” Not only was his hat dangling from the side of his head, but only one of his feet was grazed with a flip-flop. “Excuse me everyone? Excuse me,” he yelled over the crowded restaurant making the noise level drop from rambunctious to silent, rubbing his floppy arms over his red-stained eyes. “Did someone happen to see three a yellow monkey holding a rabbit food running down the street?”

11. What would be the most gratifying thing a fan could do in your opinion?

That wouldn’t have to be much. Nothing more than a compliment of any kind. Anything is better than complaints, and I’m an easy target for admiration. I’ll blush and fall to my feet it you’d just tell me my “L’s” has a nice curl to them when I’m writing. Once, someone told me my shoes looked great, and I floated on air for the rest of that day.

12. What was the first thing you bought with your own money?

A large grand piano. Black and shiny it stood in the living room of my first home. I loved it like a baby, and miss it ever since.

13. If you could bring someone famous back from the grave, who would it be?

I got this question recently during a dinner, and I’ll answer this question the very same: I’m don’t want to bring anyone else back from the grave, famous or not, except my baby brother who passed away way too early. Just one hour, one dinner together would be the greatest thing I could ever imagine. I miss him tremendously and was my creative right hand in everything from writing lyrics, to producing songs, and just to hang with. I love you, now and always.

14. If you had to dispose of a dead body, how would you do it?


The regular: connect the body to rocks, wrap it all in netting, or some water resistant fabric, and dump it far out to sea.
____________________________________________

"Burned Gasoline - a small town romance turning dark and sour as secrets are building and the most valuable is taken."

“You shouldn’t be interested in someone like me. I’m stuck here, in the middle of ‘fucking nowhere’ of America.
I’m a guy who doesn’t even have the privacy of having my own house.”
His hands flew up in the air, as if releasing some pent-up energy emerging from the opening of the deep sorrows he’d been carrying around for so long. For ages, it felt like.
Both their breathes turned slightly white and their feet almost touched on the gravel where they stood in the brooding darkness of the evening, bodies only lit up by the light of the hovering moon, and the fifty’s style lamp next to the front door.
“I have nothing, nada, zero, nyet to offer you, Raylyn. The wisest thing would be to get fuck away from me, as far as you can. Well, except… I’m pretty decent in bed. But that’s it.”

BUY

About Isabell

Do you know Isabell?
She loves steamy suspenseful novels. She enjoys running and discovering the hiking trails around Los Angeles. See a mom carrying a tired toddler? That might just be her. Her bold books are filled with strong characters who are not afraid to show what they want in the bedroom, and can load up a weapon and hunt down danger. She owns CornerliveMusic, holds a Masters Degree in Ethnology, and enjoys being a vodka drinking, meatball eating Swede living in the US.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/IHLawless
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Isabell-Lawless/851203198237905
Instagram: https://instagram.com/ihlawless/
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/lawless04/
Blog: http://www.ihlawlessauthor.blog.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment