Monday, 11 January 2016

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

...Jessica Walsh



1. How do you come up with titles for your books?


I tend to think of titles as a tease, one of the many tools you can use to tell the reader what you’re book is about. So, to that end, I like to make them have at least a double meaning hinting toward the ending, but I also try my best to not make it so obvious that a reader can figure it out before even picking up the book.

2. How do you feel about public appearances? Do you do them often?

I love public appearances. My partner/co-author and I go to several Anime Conventions a year and often sell our crafts and books there. You can usually find us at 10 or 12 a year, with a variety of things and costumes. I love talking with fans about books and the diversity of people in different areas. I hope they enjoy meeting us in person too. Our website is the best place to see where we’ll be next. We tend to stick to the Midwest, as we drive to most conventions, but every once in a while you’ll find us in other places.
Website: http://www.sewntogetherreflections.com

3. If you were asked to review a fellow author/friends book would you be honest?

Always, and probably to the detriment of a few friendships. ^__^;; When reviewing a book, you should always be honest, but not harsh. Constructive criticism is the best option and I do my best to practise this. A review that is fake or overly harsh doesn’t help at all; but one that is honest and constructive can help them become a better author in the future. I would hope that all our fans follow the same rules with reviews.

4. Which of the four seasons do you like the most?

My favourite would have to be fall. I love the chilly bite in the air and the smell of grass and leaves changing in the air. I also love the nights coming sooner and the overall feel of the season. It’s great for brainstorming stories and coming up with supernatural worlds and characters. That and there’s Halloween – I will always love costumes and Halloween.

5. If you joined the circus what would you perform?

This one is a bit hard, since I’m not much of a physical person. I would imagine I’ve be one of the costume makers/designers who rarely steps on stage. And maybe, occasionally, I’d be someone who’d sit in the wings, reading a fantastical story into a microphone for the audience, while the acrobats swing and spin on long curtains hanging from the top of the tent.

6. What does love feel like to you?

I think love doesn’t have one feeling. I think it’s a mix of several feelings, that take turns with highs and lows that we’re forced to ride along with. One moment you might need a person with your entire being and the next they may simply be the closest friend you could ever have, knowing everything about you. I think the best type of relationship is one that feels like it’s always been there, no matter how new or old it is, and always will be there so you can wrap yourself up in it like a thick and comfortable home made quilt.

7. What is a skill you’d like to learn and why?

I would love to learn to quilt. It’s not writing related, but I’ve seen numerous examples of quilts telling stories and I have a deep love for sewing in my free time. I’m slowly teaching myself how to quilt, but I still have a long way to go. Hopefully, in the future, I’ll be able to check that off my list and curl up with one of my own quilts to read a good story.

8. Do you believe in ghosts?

Absolutely. Aside from writing horror and supernatural themed stories, I’ve had several experiences in college and beyond where there was enough of a question to make me believe in what’s not supposed to be there. I also have always liked the idea that the world is not quite how it’s presented and there’s always room for something to be hiding in the shadows, whether it’s magic, fairies, ghosts or anything else. We just aren’t sure yet, and I like that mystery.

9. Where is your favourite place to go on a weekday afternoon when you have no plans or obligations?

My partner and I have a habit of writing dates, where we pick one of the local restaurants in our area that has wifi, take our laptops and just go. We can spend a good afternoon enjoying amazing food and typing away at whatever our muses are whispering in our ears. One of my favourites is Baker’s Square or the local Keys CafĂ©.

10. If you got a (new) tattoo what would it be of?

For those who know me online, this is probably an easy guess. My normal name, Jessica, is incredibly common and it’s easy to lose me in a crowd. Because of this, I’ve taken to using the name ‘Snow’ with most of my friends and in many of my online presences. So my tattoo would have to be a single small snowflake, probably on the lower thumb or my left hand. Something small and simple, but it means a lot to me, in a strange way.

______________________________________________

I know of the Storyteller, it whispers into the man’s ear, I’ve met him. If you promise not to kill me, I’ll take you to him.

Alix Andre DeBenit and Randall Fagan are Hunters, part of a hidden network of humans who track and kill the monsters lurking in our world so everyone else can pretend they don’t exist. But when a living shadow mentions someone called the Storyteller, Alix hesitantly decides to learn more. They say the Storyteller lives in a massive library full of books that tell every being’s life story. He can read these books, rewrite them and change anything he wants, even if it’s already happened. That’s the power Alix wants, the power to bring his murdered family back and he’s determined to make the Storyteller do it. He just has to decide if working with the very creatures he’s supposed to kill is worth it.

BUY

About Jessica

Jessica Walsh knows there’s this feeling, when you read a good book, that the world around you melts away to reveal new universes that stretch beyond your imagination. For a good portion of her life, Jessica has chased that feeling by reading books and writing her own stories.  Now she's on a journey to share her creations with everyone. She travels to various conventions and presents her written escapes to the people around her, expressing her creativity with her words, her crafts, and her sewing. She's combined the favorite aspects of her life to show the wonderful fantasies that exist hidden in our world, just past the shadows.

Website: http://www.sewntogetherreflections.com/books
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/storytellerhuntersseries

No comments:

Post a Comment