Monday, 8 February 2016

Meet a Writer Monday Presents...

...Karian Fabian



1. Tell me about your book I Left My Brains in San Francisco and where you got your inspiration for it. 

My brother-in-law worked for Chevron in Richmond, and we thought it would be a ton of fun to have zombies attack a refinery. I don’t remember now whose idea it was, but it turned out great. It’s even funnier as an audiobook.


2. Why did you want to write this book? 

My publisher wanted another Neeta Lyffe book, and the idea of zombies attacking a refinery was fun. Plus, a lot of the Neeta Lyffe books are about social and political satire, and the world just keeps feeding me more material. Some people write angry blogs about the state of the world. I mock it in my books.

3. How do you feel about public appearances? Do you do them often?

 I love them. There’s a lot of energy in a live audience, and I thrive on the immediate feedback. I also enjoy hearing other people’s ideas. I don’t get much chance to do in-person appearances, however. I do offer webinars, which are live, but not in-person. If anyone is interested in their group or book club hosting me, please give me a shout. You can find my webinars at at http://karinafabian.com/lectures-and-workshops/scheduled-webinars/

4. What do you plan to do next? 

The next Neeta Lyffe book, Shambling in a Winter Wonderland, is coming out in 2016, I believe. In the meantime, I’m writing a Geek devotional and the origin story for DragonEye, PI. I have two books in that universe which star a snarky dragon detective who saves our world from magical threats. However, I intend to reboot the series.

5. If you choke a Smurf what colour does it turn? 

Depends on the colour of its blood. If the blood is blue, it well get a darker blue. If it’s red, it will turn purple. I’ve never seen a Smurf bleed in the cartoons, and I neither love the show so much to go research nor hate them enough to choke one, so it will be one of those idle mysteries that may distract me some night before I’m almost asleep.

6. How do you motivate yourself to keep writing? 

Depends on the situation. I sometimes bribe myself with a soda and pellet ice at Kneaders, the bakery across the street from work. Sometimes, I take a long shower while I think up the next scene. A contract or promise of money always motivates me, as does the knowledge that someone else is expecting something I write. Otherwise, I have to chain myself to the chair and make myself produce. Truth to tell, any of these methods will yield results.

7. What was the last picture you took with your phone? 

At my work (http://toptenreviews.com), we have a medical-grade skeleton that the company did not want back. “Robert Paulson” is mascot of the Content department, and he’s always getting into trouble. He’s poked his head out of boxes, lounged on desks, taken over a bathroom stall for “private time,” and stared longingly out the window. The last photo on my phone is him passed out on one writer’s desk with a plate full of crumbs on his belly. (Attached.)

8. Ugly and live forever or attractive and die within a year? 

I spent much of my childhood being told I was ugly by other kids, so I could deal with that. I don’t want to live forever, though. I believe in heaven and want to get there someday. If I thought it would help my children grow up to be healthy, happy and faithful human beings, I would gladly be attractive and die in a year. Otherwise, I’d like to stick around awhile.

9. Glass half full or half empty? 

The glass is always full. The question is, is it full of the thing I want?

10. Why did you choose to be a writer? 

Because the characters in my head would not shut up. It felt inherently selfish and antisocial to have all these stories spinning in my head and for me to devote mental energy and time to them. They either needed to stop or get written down…and they had no intention of stopping.

11. Where is your favourite place to go on a weekday afternoon when you have no plans or obligations? 

I don’t even know what such a day would feel like. If I could, however, I’d go driving in the mountains in my Miata with the top down or hang out at Kneaders having a little bit of soda and a lot of pellet ice while I write. Actually, I strive to do a little of both of these each day. Weather permitting, I always drive with the top down.

12. What house would you belong to in Game of Thrones? Be honest. 

The one that’s not mentioned in the books, that no one else cares about. The one surrounded by mountains with just enough resources to keep my people happy but with nothing the other nations would want. Basically, the only one that will survive long enough to come out ahead after the rest have killed each other off.

13. If you had to give up one of your favourite things forever in exchange for a multimillion book deal, what would it be? 

If we’re talking material things, it would be my Miata. I adore that car. I’m not one for whom objects make me happy, but I can just look at that car and get a rush of delight. If you mean favourite pastime, I could give up watching TV, playing D&D or eating chocolate. I would give up Coca-Cola.
I would not give up my marriage, my kids, my pets, or my faith - and really, those are my favourite things.

____________________________________________________



Zombie problem? Call Neeta Lyffe, Zombie Exterminator--but not this weekend.

On vacation at an exterminator’s convention, she's looking to relax, have fun, and enjoy a little romance. Too bad the zombies have a different idea. When they rise from their watery graves to take over the City by the Bay, it looks like it'll be a working vacation after all.
BUY

About Karina


Winner of the Global eBook Award for Best Horror (Neeta Lyffe, Zombie Exterminator), Karina Fabian’s writing takes quirky tales that keep her--and her fans--amused. Zombie exterminators to snarky dragons, things get a little silly in her brain. When she’s not pretending to be an insane psychic or a politically correct corpsicle for a story, she writes product reviews for TopTenReviews.com and takes care of her husband, four kids and two dogs. Mrs. Fabian teaches writing and book marketing seminars online.


Website: http://fabianspace.com, http://zombiedeathextreme.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/karina.fabian

Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/KarinaFabian

Google +: https://plus.google.com/103660024891826015212

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/10981939-karina-fabian

 

No comments:

Post a Comment