Monday, 21 March 2016

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

...Avril Sabine



1. How do you come up with titles for your books?

Sometimes the title arrives along with the idea and other times something that happens in the book gives me a title. It could be something a character says, an item or event. Of course there are times when I struggle to decide what title to use and I hassle my family and editors to improve on the titles I've come up with.

2. Do you find your social life hampered by your writing life?

Social life? What social life? All joking aside, I wouldn't say it hampers it as much as it distracts me from it. There's been many times my oldest son has picked up my laptop and carried it to the door with me still trying to type 'just one last word'. I'd be lost without him to get me organised. The times I've been sucked into a story when I'm supposed to be getting ready to go somewhere, are numerous.

3. How do you feel about public appearances? Do you do them often?

I enjoy meeting my readers and have had fun at each appearance, workshop and school visit. I plan to do more in the future.

4. What do you plan to do next?

I plan to continue releasing books as often as I'm currently releasing them. There will be more books in my series Fairytales Retold, Demon Hunters and Plea Of The Damned. I also have some new series coming out this year and in 2016. Realms Of The Fae, Myths And Legends Retold and Rosie's Rangers.

5. How do you motivate yourself to keep writing?

Motivation is never an issue. Sometimes I have the opposite problem of being able to take a break from my writing. My characters and story ideas often keep me awake as I frantically try and keep up with the words crowding my mind, preventing me from sleeping.

6. Do you have anyone you go to for advice? In person or Online?

It all depends on what sort of advice I need. I have different people I talk to when I need advice on particular things. Family, friends, contacts I've made in different fields. If they can't help me I then search for someone I can either ring or contact online. It's always important to make sure the person you go to for advice knows the area you're wanting advice on.

7. What is your favourite word?

My favourite word is why. I've been using it since I was little. Ask my family, I'm sure they'll tell you how much I drove them crazy with it. In fact, I love the word that much I wrote a blog post about it!


8. Which of the four seasons do you like the most?

I don't do good with questions where I have to pick only one thing. It's not the fact I have to make a decision. I'm good at that. It's having to choose one when I like more than one. I like both spring and autumn equally. Until they get too hot or cold that is. That's what I love about both those seasons. Days that are a perfect temperature.

9. Why did you choose to be a writer?

I loved books from when I was very little and asked everyone to read to me until I was able to read for myself. It was while I was once again reading my book of fairytales that I realised someone wrote the words I was reading. That's the moment I decided I wanted to be the person who wrote the words in books. I wasn't old enough to go to school, I didn't know they were called authors, but I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up.

10. Where is your favourite place to go on a weekday afternoon when you have no plans or obligations?

My favourite place to go is into a book. I love reading books that draw you in so you're there with the character, living their life with them. A book that grabs hold of you and doesn't even let you go after you've read the final page, staying with you for days as you think back over the experiences you shared with the main character.

________________________________________





About Avril


Avril Sabine is a Queensland author who writes mostly young adult speculative fiction. She has been writing since she was a young child and wanted to be a writer the moment she realised someone wrote the books she loved to read. Avril is the author of more than twenty-five books, including the Demon Hunter series, Dragon Blood series, Elf Sight and The Irish Wizard.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment