Wednesday, 11 May 2016

Dusty Pages Review: Shakespeare's Champion

When Lily Bard stumbles upon the corpse of a local bodybuilder, the town's old racial tensions begin to boil over. The white victim was somehow connected to two unsolved murders of black residents of Shakespeare, but a resolute policeman is determined to stop the killings. Although it is Lily who has to decide whether to stay and fight for justice, or run away one more time....

 This is the second installment in this series and its as good as the first. Lily is much the same, struggling to define her relationships with the men in her life that is satisfactory to both parties and stumbling over a body. The death of a body builder at the local gym is not the first to show up in recent months, but they are all random acts of violence with no connection right?

However Lily finds herself drawn into the mystery, whether she wants to or not and also drawn to a stranger in town that she finds familiar somehow. The pace is good. The murder is right up front which is something I like, so the book is about that. I dislike books where they are described as murder mysteries but the murder doesn't happen until at least a quarter way or more in. I find myself warming more to Lily, as I relate to the way she thinks, straightforward and just wants to get on with her life. Of course I would quite like to have four different men try to kiss me in the same book too but I can't have everything.

Theory of World Building note: This book contains the incident in which Bobo Winthrop refers in Midnight Crossroads, definitely the same character so this proves that at least Lily Bard and Midnight are set in the same world.

I give it



No comments:

Post a Comment