Monday, 2 May 2016

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

...K L Montgomery


1. Tell me about your book Fat Girl and where you got your inspiration for it?

Fat Girl is really close to my heart as someone who has struggled with my weight and eating disorders for most of my life. It’s about a woman approaching 40 who is also getting divorced, trying to reinvent herself and start dating again, but she finds that her weight is getting in the way of finding happiness.

2. How do you come up with titles for your books?


I prefer simple, meaningful titles. Fat Girl is pretty obvious. My other novel Green Castles is named for my hometown of Greencastle, Indiana, which is where the book takes place.

3. Why did you want to write this book?


Writing Fat Girl was cathartic for me. I was certain there would be lots of women out there who could relate to Claire, and I hoped to leave readers inspired and moving closer to body acceptance.

4. What are your three biggest pet peeves? (writing or otherwise)

1. People who mix up “your” and “you’re.” Seriously kills me.

2. Cliché characters and plots.

3. A sense of entitlement (not related to writing, but damn, that’s annoying right?)

5. Do you find your social life hampered by your writing life?

Not at all! Actually I find being a writer enriches my social life because I learn so much by watching and interacting with other people. And people are usually happy to talk to me about my work.

6. How do you feel about public appearances? Do you do them often?


I do signings on occasion but haven’t been asked to speak. I also teach a class on grammar and one on self-publishing. I would love to do more appearances! I have a background in theatre and teaching so I love having an audience.

7. What do you plan to do next?

My next novel is about a woman whose grandmother dies as a result of her involvement in a Christian Cult. It’s based on a personal, true story (yet still very much fiction) and I am very excited and nervous about doing the story justice! It’s called The Blind Shall See and I hope to have it out in Summer 2016.

8. How do you think the self-publishing boom has affected the book industry?

I think it’s had both positive and negative effects. I love that it makes publishing so democratic. It gives power and voice to everyone, but it also means the market is flooded with lower quality works. In general, I think once the boom plateaus, the writers with talent and tenacity will rise to the top.

9. What was the last picture you took with your phone?

I’m such a selfie whore – it was of my outfit today at work.

10. What is your perfect pizza?

I’m mostly vegan so I don’t eat a lot of pizza (I hate most vegan cheese) but if I have a cheat day and eat cheese, I like pizza with mushrooms, onions and green peppers.

11. If you had to be named after a city, state or country, what would you want it to be?


Maybe my home state of Indiana.

12. Why did you choose to be a writer?

I don’t think I did choose. I’ve been writing poems and songs since I learned to read at the age of 3. It’s like I didn’t even have a choice in the matter. Words just come out, like it or not!

13. What does love feel like to you?

My husband once shared this quote with me: “Love is the condition in which one’s happiness is dependent on someone else’s.” I think that’s true for me: it’s selfless and unconditional.
_________________________________

What happens when you're forced to swallow your pride and move back home during your divorce? When you're about to turn 40 and you're stumbling through a series of terrible first dates? When you've landed your dream job but you feel too fat to celebrate?

You laugh, sip wine with your gay best friend, and promise to start your diet on Monday, that's what.

Join Claire Sterling on her journey to reclaim the word "fat." You'll laugh, you'll cry, and in the end you'll realize that there's a little bit of Claire in all of us.


Read a sample here

BUY

About K. L. Montgomery

K.L. Montgomery grew up in Greencastle, Indiana. She studied psychology and library science at Indiana University. After a career as a librarian, she now writes novels and wrangles three sons and three cats at her home in rural Delaware which she shares with her husband Mike and the aforementioned creatures. She has an undying love of Broadway musicals, the beach, the color teal, IU basketball, paisleys, and dark chocolate.


www.facebook.com/GreenCastles
www.twitter.com/klmontgomery8
onmyheart.klmontgomery.com


No comments:

Post a Comment