Monday, 16 May 2016

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

... Cameron Quinn




1. Tell me about your book, THE STARSBORO CHRONICLES: HOW TO GET ARRESTED and where you got your inspiration for it?

I had my first child in 2010. This was the first time I had a writing schedule. My son would wake up at 6 AM for a feeding and then Sleep until 8 AM, giving me an hour and a half to write everyday. I had been writing with a friend, working on a different project, when Zurik popped into my head. He was in a police station hand-cuffed to the interrogation table. I ran with it. A modified version of that scene is the first scene in the book.

2. How do you come up with titles for your books?

The first one, HOW TO GET ARRESTED just kind of came to me. My Writer friend, V.S. Holmes, suggested I make them all How to’s. This has not bee the easiest task but some of them have come out really amazing. So, I think it’s worth it.

3. Do you find your social life hampered by your writing life?

Yes and no. My social life consists of other writers and family. As a result my social life is my writing in a lot of ways. The only time I get out of the house (Other than errands) is to write with a group.

4. If you were asked to review a fellow author/friends book would you be honest?

I understand people not wanting to hurt others feelings, but if you don’t review their book honestly, you aren’t doing them any favours. Readers rely on reviews to find books that they will enjoy. If you didn’t like the book, that doesn’t mean you have to give it one star. It means you rate as “I didn’t like it” I believe this is two stars on Amazon, and then write why. If its because it was a romance book and you like action adventure, say that. It helps other action adventure readers know this book probably isn’t for you.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, a bad review doesn’t have to be mean and they are just as helpful for the author in the long run. So, be honest.

5. What do you plan to do next?

I’m working on more Starsboro Chronicles as well as a story about a zombie apocalypse. I know it’s been done before but I like post apocalyptic stories that focus on the people. A lot of Zombie related media is all about the horror of the Zombies instead of about the survival of the people themselves. So, I am writing one.

6. How do you think the self-publishing boom has affected the book industry?

While it has flooded the market with unfinished books, (I bought more than a few of these before I learned to read the sample before hitting buy) it has provided an amazing opportunity for Indie Authors. If you take the time to look, you can find some amazingly thought out worlds and wonderful stories.

7. How do you motivate yourself to keep writing?

It’s my business, if I don’t write, I’m not contributing to the family. It’s that simple and that complicated.

8. What in your opinion are the key ingredients in maintaining a good relationship with your readers?

A two way conversation. I need to know how they feel about my books. If I publish something they feel is less than up to snuff, I need and want to know. At the same time, if I publish something they love, I want and need to know. These conversations help the readers as much as they help me. I want to provide what they are looking for and exceed their expectations.

9. What was the last picture you took with your phone?

I took a picture of a line I wrote. V.S. Holmes and I have tons of cross overs and Easter eggs for our fans and I added a new one into the third Starsboro Chronicle: HOW TO STALK A STALKER. So, naturally I had to send it to her.

10. What is the habit you are proudest of breaking or want to break?

I had a bad TV habit. I love stories, in any and all forms. I love books, magazines, comic books, and shows. As a result I would sit down and watch TV Shows all day. I hated it but I loved it. Now, I only watch TV with the family or while I fold laundry. It also helped me stop snacking all the time too, which has been good for my waistline.

11. Are you still learning who you are?

Definitely, I learn new things everyday and most of those things change me, even if its just in a small way. I know who I want to be.

12. Which of the four seasons do you like the most?

Fall. I love the fall, partly because pumpkin beer, but also because I live in New England and the leaves change color and the air gets crisp. Something about it is absolutely magical.

13. Why did you choose to be a writer?

This is one of those things where, I didn’t choose it, it chose me. I am always, and I do mean ALWAYS, creating stories and worlds in my head. It never shuts off. Unless I’m in marketing mode then I’m planning less world building stuff and more blog/vlog posts.

14. What is a skill you’d like to learn and why?

I want to learn multiple languages. Languages have always fascinated me. I studied German and Spanish is high school but I was unable to retain much of it because I don’t know anyone who speaks those languages. I just bought my mother-in-law the Rosetta Stone for Portuguese, so hopefully we can learn it together.

15. Do you believe in ghosts?

I’ve seen far too much not too.

______________________________________________


Zurik D'Vordi finds himself in the back of an SPD squad car almost as often as he finds himself in a new woman's bed. But what is a human hybrid to do? He has to save a world that does not know it needs saving from things it doesn't want to believe exist.

When co-eds start disappearing, bad-boy Zurik finds himself Detective Jennifer Morgan's number one suspect. Trouble is, he's the only one who can find the missing girls. If Morgan doesn't start believing him, and fast, she'll have a multiple murder case on her hands.

The Starsboro Chronicles are the perfect combination of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Law and Order: SVU. A new novelette in the series is released each month.

SNEAK PEEK



BUY

About Cameron


Cameron Quinn is an author of THE STARSBORO CHRONICLES, a series of ten Urban Fantasy novelettes (she didn’t know it was thing either until her editor told her).

 She works as the Head of Marketing at Amphibian Press; a small press dedicated to helping independent authors navigate the publishing ocean.

WEBSITE- http://www.cameronquinnbooks.com
BLOG- https://cameronquinnauthor.wordpress.com
FACEBOOK- https://www.facebook.com/cameronquinnbooks/?ref=hl
TWITTER- https://twitter.com/CamQuinnBooks
GOODREADS- https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/14778062.Cameron_J_Quinn

No comments:

Post a Comment