Monday, 30 May 2016

Meet a Writer Monday Presents...

... Robert Van Dusen



1. Tell me about The Outbreak Series and where you got your inspiration for it?

The Outbreak Series started as a D20 Modern campaign (a 'pen and paper' RPG) that a friend of mine was running. The game fell apart due to players not being able to make sessions and I got my friend's permission to pick up the plot and run with it where I would.

2. What are your three biggest pet peeves? (writing or otherwise)

1) Civilians wearing ACUs as 'fashion' (you're wrong and I will correct you).
2) Writer's Block (I hate it when my imaginary friends won't talk to me)
3) People asking if I need help getting out of a chair. (I have nerve damage in my lower back that can make getting around...annoying at times. I know you mean well but I can manage, thanks.)

3. What do you plan to do next?

I started a Fantasy novel which might turn into another series once I get that going. Or a spin off of my Outbreak Series. I also did some Fantasy short stories that I might keep going with when I'm stuck on the other projects.

4. What was the last picture you took with your phone?

I took some pictures of my four month old nephew at Christmas.

5. What is your perfect pizza?

A softball question! Mushroom and sausage.

6. If you could have personally witnessed anything, what would you have want to have seen?

This is a tough one... I'm a huge history nerd so there's literally hundreds of things I'd love to have a front row seat to... The Battle of Agincourt? The signing of Magna Carta? My grandfather landing on Omaha Beach? The Viking raid at Lindisfarne? Seriously, just hand me the key to the TARDIS already!

7. If you could spend the day with any character from fiction who would it be?

Hm... I think I'd have to say the character Methos from a show I used to watch when I was younger called Highlander: The Series. He's (at least) five thousand years old so I'd love to have the chance to spend twenty four hours picking his brain.

8. What is your best childhood memory?

Spending summers at my grandparents' house. They lived on a lake in the mountains and I'd basically spend the entire summer running around in the woods and fishing.

9. If you had the chance for a do over in life, what would you do differently?

I think that, when I first enlisted in the Army when I was 16, I had chosen the Linguist job they had offered me instead of the Field Artillery. Don't get me wrong firing big honkin' cannons, machine guns, rocket launchers and stuff like that is FREAKING AWESOME but I don't think I'd be in the situation I am now if I had spent my time learning Chinese instead.

10. Do you believe in ghosts?


I'm open to the idea. I've experienced things that I can't quite rationally explain so there's that anyways.

11. What house would you belong to in Game of Thrones? Be honest.

House Greyjoy. WE DO NOT SOW! Either that or Stannis Baratheon. They built The Wall to protect the White Walkers from him. True fact.

_____________________________________


Life is tough. It gets even tougher when death isn't the end...
Senior Airman Amy Frays returned from a tour of duty in Iraq. Struggling with the readjustment of returning to college after deployment, she did not expect to find herself recalled to help deal with a riot that was going on practically on her doorstep.
Private Adam Lacey, a Marine Corps Reservist fresh out of boot camp, left his wife and four year old twins behind to deal with the violence wracking the city..
Only it was not just some garden variety civil disturbance: the military was called in to enforce a quarantine in south Boston and there was some kind of new disease.
With the world pulling itself apart around them, Frays and Lacey end up leading a group of refugees in search of something resembling safety. Where would they go? How would they find food? More importantly, how would they avoid the hordes of cannibalistic infected wandering the countryside?


 
About Robert

Robert Van Dusen was born in 1981. After high school Robert joined the United States Army where he served as a Cannon Crewmember. When he got out Robert went to college where he took a few creative writing classes as an elective and discovered he had something of a talent for it. He now lives in Upstate New York.

Facebook Author's Page: https://www.facebook.com/robvandusen109/

Outbreak Series Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/OutbreakBoston/

Blog: https://robertvandusen.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment