Monday, 27 June 2016

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

... Melissa Dickerson



1. Why did you want to write this book?

I had a picture in my head of a girl in a prison-type cell, wearing a hospital gown, with slitted pupils, covered in blood. I had to write the story to find out why and what happened next. I’m horribly curious.

2. If you were asked to review a fellow author/friends book would you be honest?

I actually took a class to learn how to effectively critique! I absolutely would be honest, but I’d be kind while I did it. Being constructively critical can be a huge challenge, but for a beginning writer, it’s absolutely needed. Letting someone read your fledgling novel is a gesture of trust. Honesty is required.

3. How do you think the self-publishing boom has effected the book industry?

I think it has really opened up the playing field. Publishers aren’t the gatekeepers of content anymore – now it’s up to the masses to decide what’s good and what’s not. There are benefits and drawbacks, of course.

4. Is there one area of your writing that you’ve always wanted to improve upon?

Organization. I write in spurts, and not all in order. It makes things stressful and difficult. I envy people who can outline out the story and the write to the outline. I can’t outline until I’m halfway done!

5. If all the worlds a stage, where does the audience sit?

In the balcony?

6. What was the last picture you took with your phone?

Cat photo. One of my cats is extremely camera-shy, and I’m always trying to get a shot to prove how adorable he is.

7. What is your perfect pizza?


Pepperoni, black olives, and extra cheese.

8. Ugly and live forever or attractive and die within a year?

Ugly and live forever. I can’t wait to see what the future holds, and then I’d be one heck of a writer from all that practice!

9. Do you have anyone you go to for advice? In person or Online?


My best friend Cherie. She gives great advice.

10. What is the habit you are proudest of breaking or want to break?

Being bashful about letting people read my work. How exactly did I expect to be a bestselling author if I couldn’t let people read it without feeling awkward? I have no idea. But then doubts are so rarely logical.

11. Are you still learning who you are?

Absolutely. I think we’re always learning who we are; once you stop, you get boring.

12. If you had to be trapped in a TV show for a month, what would it be?


Super embarrassing, but Pretty Little Liars. They have the best wardrobes I’ve ever seen on teenagers and their lives are never boring.

13. If you had the chance for a do over in life, what would you do differently?

I’d study abroad. I always thought there would be time later, and there still is, but now it’s my own money I’m spending!

14. Why did you choose to be a writer?

I don’t think I chose so much as it was an obsession. I was always writing and telling stories growing up; now I just do it a lot better.

15. If you got a (new) tattoo what would it be of?

Cherry blossoms! I’m obsessed. They represent the sacred feminine, which is really something I’m trying to celebrate in myself.


__________________________________

What happens when you cure a zombie?

Emma tended to act first and think later. But then the world went sideways, she was bitten by her zombified sister, and ended up being poked and prodded like a rat in a government lab.

And then, miraculously, she was cured.

Well, mostly.

Trapped between two worlds and belonging to neither, Emma must now curb her curiosity if she hopes to ever fit in. But she can't help noticing that the soldiers running Camp Kennan are hiding some serious secrets… like who’s really to blame for the zombie apocalypse.
Get a sneak peek here

BUY

About Melissa

Melissa has a terrible Hello Kitty addiction, uses obscure words in everyday conversation and loves libraries even though she is incapable of returning books on time. She may or may not have a plan in place for the coming zombie apocalypse. She lives in Southern California with her husband and way too many pets.

www.areyoucured.com
    www.melissadickerson.com
    Twitter: @mdickerson42
    Instagram: @mdickersonauthor

No comments:

Post a Comment