Wednesday, 10 August 2016

Dusty Pages Review: The Girl of Ink & Stars

When Isabella's friend disappears, she volunteers to guide the search party. As a mapmaker's daughter, she's equipped with elaborate ink maps and knowledge of the stars, eager to navigate the island's forgotten heart. But beneath the mountains a legendary fire demon awakens, and her journey is fraught with danger ...


This book reminds me of ones I read as a child, with the map of the strange land in the front. Its certainly one of the most beautifully laid out books I've seen in a while with illustrations surrounding the text on every page. The story itself reads very much like a classic myth based tale. I enjoyed it from the start not putting it down for a minute till it was finished. Its a very easy read. The Island of Joya is a very interesting concept and you will see parallels between the names of our continents and theirs.

Isabella does a very standard fantasy trope, cuts off her hair and pretends to be a boy in order to go on adventure. Its something I could see reading to a child, its perfect bed time reading, with nothing too scary and at only 228 pages, its not a long book. I liked the ending, definitely fitting the HEA typeset but I did feel a little sorry for the character of Lupe.

I give it



No comments:

Post a Comment