Monday, 7 November 2016

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

...Erin Lale


1. Tell me about your book Planet of the Magi and where you got your inspiration for it?

Planet of the Magi is a space fantasy starring a female protagonist from a planet where she is expected to grow up to be wielder of black magic, but she rebels by leaving her world to learn good magic. Then she has to return and use what she has learned to save the world she escaped.

2. Why did you want to write this book?

I enjoy space fantasy such as Star Wars and Dune that mixes magic with futuristic technology. I wrote the first draft of this book a couple of decades ago for my own pleasure, and have been working on it off and on ever since, until it was finally ready for publication.

3. How do you feel about public appearances? Do you do them often?

I would do more if I could. Travel costs so much I just can't do it often. If anyone is running a convention or festival and would like to offer a ride, room, and ticket for free in return for being on panels, I am so there.

4. If you were asked to review a fellow author/friends book would you be honest?

Yes. I hardly ever do friends' books anymore, though. When I started out in book reviewing, I reviewed a lot of friends' books for free on Amazon to show I could write reviews. Then I went after paid reviewing gigs with magazines. I gradually transitioned to mostly reviewing books assigned and supplied by magazines, or supplied by LibraryThing or by a book publishing company.

5. What do you plan to do next?


Write more! I write a lot of short stories for paying markets. I'm a frequent contributor to Perihelion Science Fiction.

6. How do you motivate yourself to keep writing?

If it were possible for me to quit, I would have back when I wasn't making my living this way. Characters would bang on the inside of my head demanding to get out. I had to write to shut them up. These days I write and edit for money, and I often write assignments in both fiction and nonfiction that are thought up by someone else, but occasionally the characters still take over.

7. What was the last picture you took with your phone?

Hail damage photos for the insurance adjuster. Very exciting. What a glamorous author life, huh? Lol.

8. Ugly and live forever or attractive and die within a year?

I would not want to live forever. Being trapped forever on Earth, never able to pass on to the afterlife, sounds horrible. I want more than a year here but if I had to choose I would exit this pain filled form and be with my gods sooner rather than never.

9. What does a perfect day look like to you?

Any day where I would be totally free of pain all day long would be wonderful, no matter what else I was doing. I had a day like that earlier this year. It was so nice. I was just doing normal stuff at home.
______________________________________________

Dije Kun doesn't want to be a Magus, a user of black magic. She has to leave her world behind to learn good magic, but her new teachers are preoccupied with a prophecy by a time traveler predicting the return of an ancient alien enemy. When the prophecy comes true, she has to decide what she's willing to do to save the world she escaped.


About Erin

Lale's publishing career began in 1985. Her published works and paid works for hire include fiction, nonfiction, poetry, technical writing, speeches, catalog copy, puzzles, songs, films, academic papers, cartoons, print ads, TV commercials, operations & procedure manuals, photos, art, newsletters, jokes, recipes, translations, and web content.  She wrote for The Sonoma Index-Tribune, and was the publisher and editor of Berserkrgangr Magazine, and is currently the Acquisitions Editor at Caliburn Press.  She owned The Science Fiction Store in Las Vegas, invented a number of technical processes in iDEN and CDMA wireless communications technology, ran for Nevada State Assembly in 2010 and for Henderson City Council in 2013, and reviews books for Eternal Haunted Summer Magazine.

Author Page: https://sites.google.com/site/erinlaleauthorpage/

Author Downloads Page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LaleLibrary/ 

Time Yarns Universe Official Page: https://sites.google.com/site/timeyarns/home?pageDeleted=true

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/erin.lale

No comments:

Post a Comment