Monday, 5 December 2016

Meet A Writer Monday Presents..

... Lynzie Allen



1. Tell me about your book Like Crazy and where you got your inspiration for it? 

This question is going to come back to haunt me, I know it. Okay, so my dad died. I had a one-year-old son and a two-year-old daughter paired with a marriage that was rocky. My brother’s girlfriend at the time, bought me the first two books in Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight Saga. I. Fell. In. Love. Who didn’t, right? So, next I had to see the first movie. Robert Pattinson, you guys. For real, so much yum. He went straight to the top of my list. I’m getting to the point, I promise. I had a dream where I met him and we hit it off. (Of course we did.) Like, we really hit it off. We fell in love and I left my husband. So, the next morning I thought, damn, what would I do in that situation? Alas, Allison Dell was born and her love triangle with Ben and Finn started to become fictional reality. It took me almost ten years to actually finish it, though. My husband and I divorced, I had a fling with a hot guy from Denmark and then I met my current husband. Everything that happened to me and around me in the time I was writing became a part of something in the book. It’s not how my life happened but there are some similarities between me and Allie.

2. Why did you want to write this book? 

Like Crazy started for me at a time when I was miserable and needed an escape. It was my safe place.


3. What are your three biggest pet peeves? (writing or otherwise) 

1) People who say they could care less when they mean couldn’t care less. 2) Grinding teeth. 3) Bad drivers.


4. If you were asked to review a fellow author/friends book would you be honest? 

100% yes. I have several times, read and reviewed books and I always tell the truth. If something isn’t working and no one ever pointed it out to me, I would never grow as an author and I suspect most authors feel that way. However, there is a difference between constructive criticism and criticism.


5. What do you plan to do next? 

I am writing the last chapter of Book 2 in The Dell Sisters Trilogy as soon as I finish this interview. It’ll hopefully be out by the end of the month. After that I will start Book 3.


6. How do you think the self-publishing boom has affected the book industry? 

Well, I am self-published so I have lots of thoughts on it. I am an avid reader, I usually read more than a hundred books a year in dozens of genres. Well-known authors are wonderful and I fully admire writers who were patient and good enough to go the traditional route. Someday, I hope to get there. However, I read a lot of indie, self-published authors, too. The writing isn’t always stellar and there are plenty of grammatical errors but some of the stories are so engaging I can’t imagine not having read them. So, I guess my point is, there are and will never be enough books. Self-publishing becoming more accessible to the writers just makes their work more accessible to readers.


7. How do you motivate yourself to keep writing? 

So. Many. Things. Music, first and foremost. I have playlists for every book and sometimes I break them down to chapter or scene playlists. I have also recently accepted that I am a creative vampire. Inspiration only comes out when the sun goes down. Reading is also important to motivate me, though I have to be choosy when I write or I tend to be too influenced.


8. What is your favourite word? 

This one is funny for me. Most people who know me, my editor specifically, would tell you it’s amazing. I use that word excessively. But if I’m choosing my favorite word? It’s lovely. I love the meaning and the way it rolls off the tongue.

9. Which of the four seasons do you like the most? 

Winter. I live in Arizona and our summers are life-sucking. The holiday season is my favorite anyway, but I would always prefer to be cold than hot.

10. Why did you choose to be a writer? 

I’m new to writing novels but I’ve been writing since I could hold a pencil. There are stacks of journals in my closet filled with crazy teenage thoughts and poetry. It wasn’t really a conscious choice, it was more that I love doing it and if you can find a way to make money doing what you love then you should.

11. What does love feel like to you? 

LOVE this question! I read a quote years ago that said, “I read once that the ancient Egyptians had fifty words for sand & the Eskimos had a hundred words for snow. I wish I had a thousand words for love, but all that comes to mind is the way you move against me while you sleep & there are no words for that.” It’s so true and there are infinite types of love, too. With my husband, love is him cooking me dinner even after he worked eight hours and drove an hour commute. It’s when I ask questions about football even thought I couldn’t care less. It’s endless moments between us that say, ‘you’re mine and I’m yours’. With my children it’s the way their hair smells and having them fall asleep on me. It’s first steps and first words. It’s also pain and hurt. It’s everything.

12. Do you believe in ghosts? 

Yes, wholeheartedly. I feel them more often than I’d like.

13. What house would you belong to in Game of Thrones? Be honest 

Stark. Stark, Stark, Starkety Stark. Here’s the thing, I’m loyal to a fault, family is of the utmost importance and I named my youngest daughter Ari(y)a. (My husband and I disagreed on the spelling because he wasn’t a fan yet. Don’t worry, I’ve since hooked him on the show, but alas her name is legally Aria.)

________________________________________

We all have a list of celebrities we want to sleep with. We joke about it occasionally, because we know this chance encounter will never happen. But what if it did? What if the object of your every fantasy did want you? Would it be so easy to leave behind a life you’ve built with someone else?
Allison Dell has had everything in life handed to her on a silver platter. Her family is supportive and her high school sweetheart loves her like crazy. But when tragedy strikes her family, Allie’s whole life is put to the test.
After months of trying to just be okay, she plans a trip alone, to London, to escape her real life. It’s there that she must decide her own fate. Will her whirlwind romance survive? Or will her chance encounter become a reality.


About Lynzie

Lynzie Allen is a California native, currently residing in Arizona with her husband and three children. She is passionate about writing, reading and photography…and long walks on the beach. Video games are something she can’t live without. Though her brother would call her a casual gamer, which is hurtful. She also has a soft spot for YA books and hopes to write a few in the near future. Like Crazy is her first novel.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authorlynzieallen/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/lynzallen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment