Wednesday, 4 January 2017

Dusty Pages Review: After Alice



When Alice fell down the rabbit-hole, she found Wonderland as rife with inconsistent rules and abrasive egos as the world she left behind. But how did Victorian Oxford react to Alice's disappearance?

 DNF

I made it all the way to chapter 15 before I had to give up on this book. I expected so much more from this book than I got. First of all Alice is hardly involved at all in the chapters I read. Instead we follow Ada, a friend of Alice (who supposedly was mentioned in the original story but she was of such note that I did not remember her) who falls down the rabbit hole after Alice. Her journey is not so much as interesting as Alice's, in fact its down right boring.

The narrative flips between Ada wondering around aimlessly in Wonderland and what is happening above in rural Oxfordshire with her and Alice's families. Its long winded and nothing really happens to say the least. I had this same problem when reading the book version of Wicked, there were long labourous passage of text where nothing really happened and it made me want to put the book down. With After Alice, I did, as I had no fondness for a musical version to help me plough through it.

Sadly it gets just



No comments:

Post a Comment